Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85+ vs. Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was very early in line for the Model 3 and recently saw my build is between Oct and Dec 2017, the one website says Nov 17th if that's to be believed. I recently picked up a CPO 2013 P85+ with only 17,000 miles last month and have been very happy with it in fact to the point of now I'm questioning whether or not I should keep it or trade it in on the Model 3 when it becomes available to me, hopefully in a few months. Here are some pluses and minuses I've come up with, let me know if there are other things I am missing and in general what you might do in a similar situation.

Advantages of P85+
Bigger car - haul more stuff, assuming larger interior, more comfortable with 5 passengers
Faster 0-60 time
Air suspension and the Plus suspension (feels better to me than a P90D I drove from road feel perspective)
P85+'s are fairly rare, don't see them all that often
Car has dual chargers so it charges fast at home, 3 would charge slower
Car has tech package so it has automatic hatch, XM, etc.
Car has nice 21" grey turbine wheels which I like
Free supercharging for life (I've only used that on 1 cross country trip to bring the car home)
???

Advantages of Model 3
AP2.5, the P85+ doesn't have AP at all
Newer battery technology
Newer Motor technology
Lower interest financing on a new car
$7500 fed tax credit (assuming I am early enough to get this which I believe I would be)
Lower overall cost of the car, although unsure what Tesla will give me after 5 months of owning the P85+ for trade-in
Possibly lower insurance rate due to lower cost of car, I need to check on this
Lower cost to get snow tires, yes it snows where I live, with the P85+ I would be looking at a separate set of wheels and tires
Brand New, 0 miles, if I take delivery in Nov 2017 is that a 2017 or 2018 model car?
???

These are the items I've come up with off the top of my head and as you can see, at least to me, it doesn't seem to be a clear cut decision. I would appreciate the thoughts of fellow owners here as well as anyone who might be finding themselves having to make a similar decision. In an ideal world I would get both, but the finances aren't going to allow that. I should also mention that I am divorce with part time custody of my kids so mostly it would be just me in the car but occasionally my 2 kids as well, sometimes their sports gear, etc. Looking forward to your replies!

Model 3 hands down. I'm assuming the P85+ ran you more than 50k?.

You can get a performance Model 3 with Dual Wheel Drive AND it is fully autonomous capable as well as having AP. Granted you have to wait for the performance Model 3 until about Spring 2018. It is said that the Model 3 will have the capability to get ludicrous mode. Something the P85+ can't do.

You can get a performance Model 3 with Dual Wheel Drive AND it is fully autonomous capable as well as having AP. Granted you have to wait for the performance Model 3 until about Spring 2018. It is said that the Model 3 will have the capability to get ludicrous mode. Something the P85+ can't do.

We know that AWD dual motor is coming spring 2018, everything else you posted seems like speculation.

The problem with waiting until Spring 2018 for AWD and possibly a P variant is that the tax credit may no longer be available, plus it increases the cost of the 3 a fair amount and I'm not someone who keeps showing off ludicrous mode at every stoplight. I haven't driven the Model 3 yet but I'm assuming with instant electric motor torque that it will be plenty zippy enough around town and on the highway even if it doesn't set any 0-60 records, I'm OK with that.

You may not want to share the details, but you are kinda asking for opinions.... I know what the model 3 costs, but I don't know how much you paid for your S or how much you think it would be worth when your 3 arrives....

I paid $65 for the CPO P85+ with low miles, yes I know that's a little higher than market average, but it has the Tesla CPO warranty and it had so few miles plus lots of options that I like, the original sticker was 130K.

Speaking of which my kids asked tonight if the Model 3 has ambient lighting, they think that's pretty cool in the Model S...

The problem with waiting until Spring 2018 for AWD and possibly a P variant is that the tax credit may no longer be available

Tax credit phases out. The full $7,500 should be available through Q2 2018. Perhaps OP would have to wait until Q3, but half the credit would still be available at that time.

Every time someone claims the credit will be "gone" in 2018, they should have to put $10 into a swear jar equivalent. Shouldn't be long before we have enough to give away a Model 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoang51 and KManS
Tough call, as a sports car junky I have no doubt the P85+ is the car I'd most like driving even though I haven't had the privilege yet. (I tried, a jerk on Turo cancelled on me less than an hour before the rental.)

I think it would mainly come down to autopilot (for me), how much you want it/need it/think you'd use it. If that's not a big draw the P85+ is the best driver's car Tesla has produced and that won't likely change until the P version of the Model 3= being nearly 1000lbs lighter is going to be a big advantage.

If anybody wants to let me drive a P85+ and a Model 3LR back to back I'd be glad to give a thorough comparison review! :D

FWIW I've had the same debate between these two options myself, for me the price equation always made the decision simpler.

Reactions: tracksyde and KManS
The P85+ is a driver's car. Superior handling over all other Teslas. The 0-60 performance is very respectable to a point that do you really need to spend more for Ludicrous. Superior handling and acceleration vs. superior acceleration. Giving up AP is a consideration. I have a P85+ with AP1. I use AP every day in bumper to bumper traffic.
Financial consideration is what Tesla would give you for your P85+ vs. what you spent. You may not get your money out of it. Keeping the P85+ may be the smart financial choice at this point. I would lean toward the P85+ for now. Get a Model 3 when the kids are grown up, you don't need the space and Tesla has worked all the bugs out.

Reactions: tracksyde and KManS
I was very early in line for the Model 3 and recently saw my build is between Oct and Dec 2017, the one website says Nov 17th if that's to be believed. I recently picked up a CPO 2013 P85+ with only 17,000 miles last month and have been very happy with it in fact to the point of now I'm questioning whether or not I should keep it or trade it in on the Model 3 when it becomes available to me, hopefully in a few months. Here are some pluses and minuses I've come up with, let me know if there are other things I am missing and in general what you might do in a similar situation.

Advantages of P85+
Bigger car - haul more stuff, assuming larger interior, more comfortable with 5 passengers
Faster 0-60 time
Air suspension and the Plus suspension (feels better to me than a P90D I drove from road feel perspective)
P85+'s are fairly rare, don't see them all that often
Car has dual chargers so it charges fast at home, 3 would charge slower
Car has tech package so it has automatic hatch, XM, etc.
Car has nice 21" grey turbine wheels which I like
Free supercharging for life (I've only used that on 1 cross country trip to bring the car home)
???

Advantages of Model 3
AP2.5, the P85+ doesn't have AP at all
Newer battery technology
Newer Motor technology
Lower interest financing on a new car
$7500 fed tax credit (assuming I am early enough to get this which I believe I would be)
Lower overall cost of the car, although unsure what Tesla will give me after 5 months of owning the P85+ for trade-in
Possibly lower insurance rate due to lower cost of car, I need to check on this
Lower cost to get snow tires, yes it snows where I live, with the P85+ I would be looking at a separate set of wheels and tires
Brand New, 0 miles, if I take delivery in Nov 2017 is that a 2017 or 2018 model car?
???

These are the items I've come up with off the top of my head and as you can see, at least to me, it doesn't seem to be a clear cut decision. I would appreciate the thoughts of fellow owners here as well as anyone who might be finding themselves having to make a similar decision. In an ideal world I would get both, but the finances aren't going to allow that. I should also mention that I am divorce with part time custody of my kids so mostly it would be just me in the car but occasionally my 2 kids as well, sometimes their sports gear, etc. Looking forward to your replies!
Let's see how long you re gonna like those 21 inch wheels

I've wrestled with this too in debating getting a P85+ with no AP or the Model 3. In the end, AP is really worth it to me and even though I too want AWD or even PAWD on the model 3, I am just telling myself, who cares anyway. This thing will self drive in a few years and I won't care about stomping it, and even, it still has more than ample passing power.

Model 3, but only by an inch. financially speaking with cost being equal, an older care will retain value better than a newer one. Although in 5 years a car without AP could very well be rediculous