Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 1 QTR predictions/results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, Elon Musk has been known to say that he considers 50 hour weeks as being the long-term basic work week.

Do you have an example of a time Elon said this? I don't doubt he did, and I've seen plenty of anecdotal evidence that he expects a lot from his employees. However I have never actually heard him say anything like this publicly.

Also, this sentiment is probably geared more towards the engineering/salaried employees. Most of the factory workers are paid hourly I would assume so it doesn't make a ton of difference if it's 4 people working 50 hour weeks vs. 5 people working 40 hour weeks.

Do you have an example of a time Elon said this? I don't doubt he did, and I've seen plenty of anecdotal evidence that he expects a lot from his employees. However I have never actually heard him say anything like this publicly.

Also, this sentiment is probably geared more towards the engineering/salaried employees. Most of the factory workers are paid hourly I would assume so it doesn't make a ton of difference if it's 4 people working 50 hour weeks vs. 5 people working 40 hour weeks.

Musk:" Right now we're working six days a week. Some people are working seven days a week – I do – but for a lot of people, working seven days a week is not sustainable. The factory is operational seven days a week but most people we only ask to work six days a week right now and, obviously, we want to get that to a more reasonable number. I think people can sustain a 50-hour work week. I think that's a good work week. If you're joining Tesla, you're joining a company to work hard. We're not trying to sell you a bill of goods. If you can go work for another company and then maybe you can work a 40-hour work week. But if you work for Tesla, the minimum is really a 50-hour week and there are times when it'll be 60- to 80-hour weeks. If somebody is hourly, they receive time-and-a-half but if somebody is salary, then we do cash and stock bonuses for going above and beyond the call of duty. So we try to make it fair compensation, but the general understanding is that if you're at Tesla, you're choosing to be at the equivalent of Special Forces. There's the regular Army, and that's fine, but if you are working at Tesla, you're choosing to step up your game. And that has pluses and minuses. It's cool to be Special Forces, but it also means you're working your ass off. It's not for everyone."

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/07/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-q-and-a/

An extra employee is extra training, medical, payroll taxes. It is cheaper to pay time and a half.

Musk:" Right now we're working six days a week. Some people are working seven days a week – I do – but for a lot of people, working seven days a week is not sustainable. The factory is operational seven days a week but most people we only ask to work six days a week right now and, obviously, we want to get that to a more reasonable number. I think people can sustain a 50-hour work week. I think that's a good work week. If you're joining Tesla, you're joining a company to work hard. We're not trying to sell you a bill of goods. If you can go work for another company and then maybe you can work a 40-hour work week. But if you work for Tesla, the minimum is really a 50-hour week and there are times when it'll be 60- to 80-hour weeks. If somebody is hourly, they receive time-and-a-half but if somebody is salary, then we do cash and stock bonuses for going above and beyond the call of duty. So we try to make it fair compensation, but the general understanding is that if you're at Tesla, you're choosing to be at the equivalent of Special Forces. There's the regular Army, and that's fine, but if you are working at Tesla, you're choosing to step up your game. And that has pluses and minuses. It's cool to be Special Forces, but it also means you're working your ass off. It's not for everyone."

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/07/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-q-and-a/

An extra employee is extra training, medical, payroll taxes. It is cheaper to pay time and a half.

I work like 100 hours a week and get no overtime. Tesla seems like a good deal to me. lol

Ugh. The more I'm reading the 2013 Q3 thread the more bearish I'm getting guys. High expectations driven by analyst "data" of high delivery numbers makes our conversations here look like dejavu.

And Q2 2013's outlook looks remarkably similar to Q4 2013. Large jump in production (1000) with a reserved guidance on deliveries because more cars were going to be in transit. Q4's report says that we should be at 1000 cars per week at the end of the year, not now. Seems like we are talking ourselves up again.

And even people extrapolating from more conservative #'s/wk * weeks were somewhat close subtracting cars in transit, but some guesses over 1100 cars off. VIN's were definantly way way off. Even conservative low ball estimates were still betting 5900 vs the delivered 5500.

And here we are doing the same thing. estimates of 6600 - 7600 based off of supposed analyst data of US #'s.

Not trying to be a killjoy or anything. But is this the wrong view to take off of things or is it just me? Lets hope we dont have a fire the day after ER either.

Does anyone have a feeling on how many cars were being transported to Asia?

Last edited:
Ugh. The more I'm reading the 2013 Q3 thread the more bearish I'm getting guys. High expectations driven by analyst "data" of high delivery numbers makes our conversations here look like dejavu.

And Q2 2013's outlook looks remarkably similar to Q4 2013. Large jump in production (1000) with a reserved guidance on deliveries because more cars were going to be in transit. Q4's report says that we should be at 1000 cars per week at the end of the year, not now. Seems like we are talking ourselves up again.

And even people extrapolating from more conservative #'s/wk * weeks were somewhat close subtracting cars in transit, but some guesses over 1100 cars off. VIN's were definantly way way off. Even conservative low ball estimates were still betting 5900 vs the delivered 5500.

And here we are doing the same thing. estimates of 6600 - 7600 based off of supposed analyst data of US #'s.

Not trying to be a killjoy or anything. But is this the wrong view to take off of things or is it just me? Lets hope we dont have a fire the day after ER either.

Does anyone have a feeling on how many cars were being transported to Asia?
The one difference is that the stock is more beat up going into earnings this time. The other difference is that many people are afraid q3 will happen again. It is very hard to figure out what is really built into the stock price. I also think the production constraint was a bit of a surprise in q3. With the job fair we know the ramp up is likely on schedule for h2 still.

The one difference is that the stock is more beat up going into earnings this time. The other difference is that many people are afraid q3 will happen again. It is very hard to figure out what is really built into the stock price. I also think the production constraint was a bit of a surprise in q3. With the job fair we know the ramp up is likely on schedule for h2 still.

Eh. The idea of things being priced in on a stock that is likely heavily inflated already seems like wishful thinking.

The stock is priced for 5 years of perfect execution, a successful launch and ramp of the Model X, the launch of the giga factory, the launch of Model E, as well as handily beating the guidance.
It would be rather naive to think otherwise
I love it. The market is always right...right. We heard priced for perfection at 260 as well. Your post could have been dated at anytime since stock broke 50.

I love it. The market is always right...right. We heard priced for perfection at 260 as well. Your post could have been dated at anytime since stock broke 50.

Correct and that is exactly my point. All this talk about "this is priced in" and "what happens if..." is nonsense. The stock is so far away from a valuation that is based on the current capabilities of the company. It's all momentum and blind hope for perfect execution on an amazing vision. And the +- 20% fluctuation is simply driven by whether there are more yay-sayers or nay-sayers on any given day.

It's all sentiment driven. And politician X saying Y or central bank A doing B might be more important to the stock price on Wednesday then whatever Elon says. Unless it's completely outrageous.
"Model X launch delayed until 2017" would tank the stock. "Here is the Model X, we start shopping in Q3, and her is the drivable prototype of Model E which we are pulling in for late 2015 delivery" and yes, the stock will go up.
But anything short of that will be not a impactful as people here believe. Compared to Angela Merkel declaring war on West-Xylophon.