Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 1 QTR predictions/results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is hard to say.
I checked with the show room in MA several times. They are stably selling 8-10 cars per week, which gives a reasonable guess of more than 100 cars total sale in the 1Q.

Btw, do you know the guidance for US sales in Q1?

On the Tesla Motors forum, someone called "will2372002" has posted:

"VIN# 40381, scheduled for June delivery"

Doesn't that mean that there will be dilivered about 15,000 Tesla Model Ses in the first halve of 2014?

Doesn't that give us some indication?

Statistically we are looking at a 15.75% surprise. Based on an average of surprises in production and sales. Production (19.75%) Deliveries (11.75%)
2013 Q1 produced 5000, guided 4500, sold 4900
2013 Q2 produced 5525, guided 4500, sold 5150
2013 Q3 produced 6825, guided 5000, sold 5500
2013 Q4 produced 6587, guided 6000, sold 6892
Numbers via. Hummingbird's post.
If you look at production surprises: Production in Q1 should be: 8860 cars
If you look at delivery surprises: Deliveries in Q1 should be: 7152 cars
Either way this is meaningless, as are the Europe numbers. (In my opinion). I still would just like to see between a 5%-10% surprise or about 6800-6900 cars.

On the Tesla Motors forum, someone called "will2372002" has posted:

"VIN# 40381, scheduled for June delivery"

Doesn't that mean that there will be dilivered about 15,000 Tesla Model Ses in the first halve of 2014?

Doesn't that give us some indication?

Haven't we learned at this point to not pay attention to the VIN? Sorry, but this should really stop. This was caused tangible harm in the response to the Q3 2013 earnings report.

Q4 numbers were based on a backlog of several years of reservations. So comparing Q4 to Q1 (even though that also contained some old reservations) doesn't make sense.
Good luck explaining this to "Wall Street's Finest" and the talking heads on the financial channels and blogs.
If US sales are sequentially down there will be a blood bath (i.e. a buying opportunity)

April 18, 2014

Tesla Motors Announces Date for First Quarter 2014 Financial Results

PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 04/18/14 -- Tesla announced today that it will post its financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2014, after market close on Wednesday, May 7, 2014. At that time, Tesla will issue a brief advisory release via Marketwired containing a link to the first quarter 2014 Shareholder Letter, available on the company website. Tesla management will hold a live question & answer webcast at 2:30pm Pacific Time (5:30pm Eastern Time) to discuss the Company's financial and business results and outlook.

What: Tesla Motors, Inc. First Quarter 2014 Financial Results Q&A Webcast

When: Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Time: 2:30pm Pacific Time / 5:30pm Eastern Time

I'm betting there will be a small beat, like maybe 6600 cars. The market will react neutrally or perhaps fall a bit. I could be way wrong of course. If it falls I look forward to grabbing some stock on sale!
It's not just the number of cars. Other discussions will rule
1. Guidance. Increased batteries if Panasonic came through. Large ramp up expected, if not then drop
2. China demand. Expect some numbers
3. Progress on gf, location, partner?
4. Update on model x, question production model, options, pricing
5. Prototype gen3, doubt but possible

It's not just the number of cars. Other discussions will rule
1. Guidance. Increased batteries if Panasonic came through. Large ramp up expected, if not then drop
2. China demand. Expect some numbers
3. Progress on gf, location, partner?
4. Update on model x, question production model, options, pricing
5. Prototype gen3, doubt but possible

Agreed. As long as they make their projected number of deliveries it will be all about guidance. From some good investigative work by our European friends it appears they will, as a minimum, make their delivery number. Certainly, a 5-10% 'beat' on that number wouldn't hurt either!

Nobody knows; the last major fall was from ~194 to ~118ish - we haven't seen that kind of drop, but if we go into any kind of larger bear market, I'm sure it could fall a lot farther than even that...

Last edited:
Good points. If no gigafactory progress, market could react very negatively...

This is what worries me...Has TM made any progress in the GF since they announced it? If all they report is that they are still working on it...I expect sell off. I don't know if 1 quarter was enough time for Tesla to pick a location and work out details with a partner, which would be the first two things they should have at least have gotten done.