TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2014 60kw vs. 2015 60kw

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by CPD2601, Oct 18, 2015.

1. CPD2601

CPD2601 Member

I recently bought a couple MS's (one for my wife and one for me). I bought my wife a 2014 60 kw used with 13k miles and mine is a 2015 60w with 3,900miles on it. For some reason when I charge both to 80% hers is at 187 or 189 and mine is between 184-186. It also seems that hers keeps a charge better, but then again I drive a little harder. Is there a break in period for the batteries?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

The ranges are estimates and there is no significant difference between those numbers. As for hers "keeping a charge better", you answered your own question. Compare your Wh/mile to hers.

3. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

It's an estimate, it may drop down even lower if you drive hard. Swap cars with your wife for a couple weeks and see if it makes a difference.

4. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

That's less than 1.5% difference between the two cars. As CPD2601 was mentioning, the estimating algorithms just aren't that incredibly accurate, so that's in the noise range.

5. Notacarguy

Notacarguy Member

Be grateful my MS60 is down to 167 at 90%

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

BTW, battery capacity is measured in kWh, NOT kW, so in your case, 60 kWh.

I believe the max output of the motor on the 60 kWh Model S is 225 kW (or ~302 hp).

7. tstafford

tstafford Member

Also FWIW - Tesla told me charging to 90% is recommended when I took delivery in August. Assuming that's correct you can go ahead and get some additional range by bumping up from 80 to 90%.

8. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

Maybe it is calculated by how you drive your car. If you drive more aggressive than your wife, use more kWh, it reflects to estimate.

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

No. The rated range is based on the EPA test cycle. It has nothing to do with how you drive your car. If you look on the energy app it will show you the estimated range based on your recent (5, 10, or 30 mile) usage along with the rated range.