Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 Gets a 2017 facelift using OEM parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I remember, all the challenges Artsci had was because of the new hood. Lots of fabricated parts and extra work. But if you keep the old hood, the "tooth gap" is a little bigger and the part to fill that gap needs one small custom built part out of plastic or fiberglass. If you're OK with the bigger tooth gap, it seems like a pretty easy swap.

If you want to match the new facelift cars exactly, well, just ask Arsci if he'd do it again. ;)

@artsci -- if you had to do it all over again, would you keep the old hood with the bigger gap, or keep the old style nosecone?

I'd do it all over again. My goal was to replicate the facelift to the T (no pun intended) using OEM parts to the extent possible, and that meant using the new hood and having no overbite gap to fill. But it did require some custom work, which was largely a result of using the new hood with the old frunk size.

But kudos to Adrenalin Rush to find a way to do this with the old hood -- certainly makes it easier.

Adrenaline Rush, I would love to see some pictures of your T gap solution. As well as any other tips on what all is needed for the swap. I have one of the first of the p85s and would love to update the front end a bit.
You mentioned something about a 3d printed part? If so, let me know if you'd like to sell one.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I'd do it all over again. My goal was to replicate the facelift to the T (no pun intended) using OEM parts to the extent possible, and that meant using the new hood and having no overbite gap to fill. But it did require some custom work, which was largely a result of using the new hood with the old frunk size.

But kudos to Adrenalin Rush to find a way to do this with the old hood -- certainly makes it easier.

Artsci... quick question on the hood... obviously your way with swapping the hood as well. Looks so much better! Which makes no sense why a couple inches and slightly flatter makes it look super car like.. And the regular hood still so normal lol..

Anyhow, sorry got distracted.. with the new hood install... is there really so little clearance to not just cut the male end off of the old hood and weld to the new hood?

Rather than making a complete custom latch and swapping the frunk?

Or was it that the old frunk didn't line up at all with the new T emblem that was the problem?

... is there really so little clearance to not just cut the male end off of the old hood and weld to the new hood?

Rather than making a complete custom latch and swapping the frunk?

Or was it that the old frunk didn't line up at all with the new T emblem that was the problem?

The new hood is designed to fit over the smaller frunk. The frunk rubber seal is on the smaller frunk itself, not on the underside of the hood, as was the case with the nosecone cars with the large frunk. I did not swap the frunk but modified it so it would work with the new hood. I'm also guessing that the contours of the old and new hood are different enough that the weld would not work. So what you suggest would still be problematic.

Last edited:
After some research of the prefacelift cone nose Model S, the facelift 2017 Model S and the OEM parts involved I have decided to move forward with the retrofit of the facelift nose onto my cone nose P85.

I will be posting al kinds of info as I discover it into this thread. As of last week, my facelift 2017 bumper is here, the needed parts are on order and will hopefully arrive this week. I have removed my cone front bumper and installed the new bumper. Everything looks great and the hood gap doesn't look bad at all but once the upper grill is here, I will get a better idea.

As expected, the fog lights for both generations are identical and will bolt up with no issues. The old headlights can be retained as they are the same exact shape.

Enough talk, no for pics.

View attachment 215534 View attachment 215535 View attachment 215536 View attachment 215537
Great job on this> Are you able to provied where did you buy all your facelift parts? I've looked on Ebay and the only two thing i was able to find was the front bumper and the "T" badge support

Here is picture of my 2013 Tesla Model S85 New Facelift using OEM Bumper

Attachments

• tesla front.jpg
    tesla front.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 913
Reactions: EKoS and Blup85
Luis, I just got a used bumper in.. i plan on making a custom T piece, do you know what all brackets you need? I planned to purchase everything on the list for the new style T grill.. and from my understanding we need the newer undertray.

Do you know if you need to update the fog lights/anything in that area. Or the front lower grill?
Any other brackets you know of

Luis, I just got a used bumper in.. i plan on making a custom T piece, do you know what all brackets you need? I planned to purchase everything on the list for the new style T grill.. and from my understanding we need the newer undertray.

Do you know if you need to update the fog lights/anything in that area. Or the front lower grill?
Any other brackets you know of

Im not sure what all parts you need until later this afternoon when i go back to the body shop. However i can tell you what i got so far, I purchase a used 2016-2017 bumper along with the Tesla badge "T" Front support, V-Bar front upper grille bright trim and the "T" Emblem I got them in the mail last night so im going to the shop later this affternoon to pre fit everything on the bumper. (Im still in the search of other parts but it seems impossible to get) The body shop should be able to tell what other parts i might need.

As far as the fog lights and every other component should fit just right.

I will post more pictures later this afternoon or firts thing tomorrow morning.

I have brought this up twice before and did not even get a nibble of interest. When my upgraditis gets ahold of me to the point that I attempt the facelift, this will be the first thing I try to accomodate for the bigger gap in the old hood to the new bumper. Now I have never had any of these parts in my hand and have no clue if this concept would fly at all, but...

The next time you are at a supercharger, look for a Model X in between a pre-facelift and post facelift MS. You will very quickly notice that the gap in the Model X bumper/hood, is about the same size as the gap that would be created by doing the retrofit and keeping the old hood.

If you were to get the Model S facelift Silver Insert and T and then place the Model X Black "Topper" (for lack of a better word), you could end up with a factory solution that only requires trimming/modification, rather than having the re-create a whole new gap-filling insert.

If anyone who is currently working on this wants to give it a try, just give me the credit for the idea if it works...if it doesn't, then this thread will mysteriously disappear.

Side-by-Side-S-and-X.jpg

Model S Grill insert
tesla_fl_grill.png

Model X Grill Topper
s-l1600.jpg

Cmarshack, I actually saw your post and looked at a model X closely as it definitely seemed closer to what we would need..

I didnt take measurements, but it appeared the sides of the chrome went too high and wouldn't bolt up. It also appeared the middle was a vent of some sort channeling air downward..

If you want to send me a piece I'll see if it could work.. I have plans to make a custom T piece when it is all said and done.