Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 Gets a 2017 facelift using OEM parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ideally, instead of a PM, would be a post with the definitive list of parts needed to do the conversion.

I agree, I’m starting this process and plan on documenting the entire process, step by step. I plan on ordering from the lists posted on this thread and I’ll take pics and video of any custom or gotchas. From what I’m been able to gather from talking to several people that have done it it’s pretty easy.

I’m still a new member so I guess I can’t DM, but I want to get in touch with @TheCharlesChen about the 3D printed T plates.

I agree, I’m starting this process and plan on documenting the entire process, step by step. I plan on ordering from the lists posted on this thread and I’ll take pics and video of any custom or gotchas. From what I’m been able to gather from talking to several people that have done it it’s pretty easy.

I’m still a new member so I guess I can’t DM, but I want to get in touch with @TheCharlesChen about the 3D printed T plates.

You rang?

BTW, they aren't T-plates. They go with all the OEM pieces, but they fill the gap between the T-plate housing and the top of the OEM V1 hood.

I sent the first shipment out to @Sharkdiver76.

Maybe he can send a non-biased review of the product once he's had a chance to install them. For his version, I printed in white plastic (it's what I had on hand), and then spray painted them black.

I just got done yesterday printing a unit black plastic, but I think I will still epoxy glaze and paint it to ensure a uniform surface. I just won't have to paint the entire thing just the front so it saves me some production time.

I'll finish the product and install it this weekend so you can have a look.

Here's the pic right after I got done spraying them with flat black paint.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_108f0.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_108f0.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 418
I'm wrapping up a couple orders this week. I work full time and I have to run my printer from home. It takes about 12 hours to print each part because I have to print slowly to avoid errors in the print. Also, if the print messes up, I have to start over again. However, it would be too expensive for me to ship this out for a mold since there's not that many people that want them.

Once I get these three finished, I'll take some pics.

can we get more photos chen?

This is very interesting project!

Yeah, but listen everyone, I've been struggling to even fulfill the 2-3 orders that I've received. My printer has been giving me hell and I've ruined a couple during the epoxy phase. I'm still going to give it a go and see how it comes out when I send another couple units out to the guys who have already paid me. I want to see how they react to the part before I sell any more units.

• Informative
Reactions: tubaprde