Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 or 2013 P85+ please advise which one to buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello I am completely new to tesla. I'm looking to buy next week my first Model S. I'm debating on a 42k miles 2014 p85 or a 17k miles 2013 p85+. The price difference is about $12,000 more for the older Plus car. What will you guys advise. Is 42k consider high mileage?

Drive both to see which suspension you like better. 42k is not high mileage at all. Listen for drive unit milling noise as this was an issue for earlier ones. Check 90 and 100 % charge capacity. Usually older Performance models have already had their drive units replaced. Both cars still have 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on drive unit and battery and the warranty would have started on delivery date to the original purchaser. 12k price difference seems like alot but if its what you want go for it and have fun.

42k is not high mileage. I picked up my P85D with 47k on it last month. Battery degradation is about 1% so far.

The + will have stiffer suspension consisting of upgraded air dampers, thicker sway bars, stiffer bushings, and staggered 21" wheels. Many like it as it sharpens the steering and cuts out the floatiness of the normal air suspension. Some think it's too harsh. I have the + suspension on my P85D and I like it a lot, but my other sporty car is a 1st gen Miata with a lot of suspension modifications making it pretty darn stiff. I also have 19" wheels and Primacy MXM4s which contribute to a nicer ride. You can always swap wheels and tires, but swapping the suspension is a significant undertaking as I believe the motor(s) need to be dropped to access the swaybars and bushings, not to mention acquiring the parts.

That all said, I don't think the older car is worth the $12k premium.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Thank you for both the opinions. It means alot that you guys spend the time to repsonse. I'm always concern about air suspension on the PLUS. I currently own a 2005 Mercedes CL500 and the air suspension on that drove me nuts. It was expensive to replace. I don't know how much better is the air suspension is on the tesla. I will try both cars and decide but you are right about paying 12k more for a older car. Thanks

It's true, air suspension can be expensive depending on the failure mode and whether you do your own work.

The air suspension can be a lifesaver sometimes to get extra ground clearance. I needed it just a week ago when I went to a bed and breakfast in the mountains. The driveway to the B&B was up a steep, rutted gravel road. The very high setting gave me enough clearance to get to the top. It may have been ugly at a standard height. That said, in 99% of cases the coil suspension or standard suspension will do the job.

You're right, a test drive is in order to know whether it's a must-have for you.

I just bought a used P85+. The air suspension on teslas is reliable. In fact it is bilstein suspension, it can be fixed if necessary by a bilstein garage which has the bilstein agreement:
Service - BILSTEIN

Don't forget that the P85+ memorizes where you level up your suspension, when you ride again on the same place the car will level up automaticaly. It is GREAT !
My opinion is that the suspension of P85+ is really really good, but seats are too firm for my taste, a bit like in porsches. I don't know how P85+ where sold, but mine is full options and it is a pleasure to have such a luxurious car ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Don't get me wrong I love air suspension for the way it rides. My CL500 rides wonderful with it the problem is I fixed it already 4 times since owning it and each time it cost about 1200. I'm just afraid to get myself into the same situation since I know so little about tesla. So besides the air suspension, stagger rims, is there any other difference from the + model and standard P85?

I read that newer model S can have problems with the air tank, but 2013-2014 model s have reliable suspensions. But be aware that there are other problems: door handles (can be easily and cheap reparied by yourself), ac compressor (mine had it replaced in a non tesla garage, then activated at tesla SC), onboard charger (can be easily and cheap reparied by yourself, +2000$ at SC), etc
I don't exactly know the differences between P85 and P85+

Thank you for your reply. I have attached images of the two cars. One of them is going home with me

Attachments

• IMG_3134001.jpg
    IMG_3134001.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 594921295.jpg
    594921295.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 71
It depends on if you're a conservative or aggressive driver. Some people complained early non"+" cars "float" when driven hard. That's the reason for the "+" to came out. Looking at your pictures it's a little weird that the "+" has 19" rim while the non-"+" has the more aggressive 21" rim. That should be taken into consideration too.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I have attached images of the two cars. One of them is going home with me
Drive both and report back. And when I say drive I mean actually drive and not just putzing around. Test both on corners and rough bumpy roads. Put them thru their paces, within legal limits of course ;):D

I don't care for the way the 19inch tires/rims ride so I put the staggered 21 inch turbines on my S and no complaints or issues. Love the way it looks and handles.

I've driven p85+, p85, and p85d. I prefer the +suspension but not worth an extra 12k.

Great feedback from this forum. I'm just a modest driver. I drive like a old man on public roads unless there is open road or canyons. I have other cars that I have built for that stuff. I want a good family car for my wife and one kid. But performance is always nice. I will test both these guys out.

Thanks for the link admiral your car looks great.

Was thinking the same but the + has only 17k miles where as the non + has 42k miles but it is a year newer. Thanks again everyone
The miles are a moot point unless the lower Mile one has a drive unit issue hence the lower miles. When you drive them come to a complete stop all radio and heater/ac off windows up and floor it. Listen for a milling noise which will be noticeably different than the regular sound the drive unit will make. Remember, which ever one you choose you will still have 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on drive unit and battery so if there is an issue tesla should replace it at no cost.