Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 S-85 is battery replacement worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2014’s are just about to need HV replacement too…. My case is a perfect example of what I see is the next wave of battery replacements.
Mine just went out of warranty, and was fine until the latest update last week. I had scheduled service to replace the screen that is dripping glue onto the floorboard at my feet at $1.5k cost, now the $16k battery replacement because two days ago it became a brick. No warning whatsoever.
I have growing frustration over the lack of communication with the service team via the app. Some of my questions get answered while others are ignored. An example was my asking about warranty on the new (I’m learning it must be refurbished and a wait of 6 weeks “to find another one.”) battery. No reply other than asking if I approved the repair estimate.
The S-85 car is otherwise perfect - no visible wear and tear inside or out and only has 59k miles.
This 18k hit is tough and is unavoidable I assume. Or is this the time to sell it to someone who can part it out?

...warranty on the new...
Parts warranty usually is 12 months or 12,500 miles with a few exceptions which includes battery: 4 years or 50,000 miles:

If you want to keep your car for another 4 years or 50,000 more miles, I would say it's worth it.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Parts warranty usually is 12 months or 12,500 miles with a few exceptions which includes battery: 4 years or 50,000 miles:

If you want to keep your car for another 4 years or 50,000 more miles, I would say it's worth it.
Hi Tam, thanks for the reply. I received a call from the service manager who answered my questions. All you have said is correct too, of course.
I am still on the fence on if I feel comfortable keeping it. I am almost ready to pull the trigger to replace the battery and use it as you have suggested because salvage price can’t be that great…I love the car but it may be that in the end I am not up to the task of being an early adopter of this technology. I’ve never experienced a complete auto failure so soon after a warranty expires, with low miles, and never of this magnitude financially. It has really shaken my confidence in the EV market.

Hi Tam, thanks for the reply. I received a call from the service manager who answered my questions. All you have said is correct too, of course.
I am still on the fence on if I feel comfortable keeping it. I am almost ready to pull the trigger to replace the battery and use it as you have suggested because salvage price can’t be that great…I love the car but it may be that in the end I am not up to the task of being an early adopter of this technology. I’ve never experienced a complete auto failure so soon after a warranty expires, with low miles, and never of this magnitude financially. It has really shaken my confidence in the EV market.
Still, I could change my mind in a month because as I said I love the car! Maybe I’ll drive it until the next battery replacement and then I’d feel more comfortable just selling for salvage.

The 2014’s are just about to need HV replacement too…. My case is a perfect example of what I see is the next wave of battery replacements.
Mine just went out of warranty, and was fine until the latest update last week. I had scheduled service to replace the screen that is dripping glue onto the floorboard at my feet at $1.5k cost, now the $16k battery replacement because two days ago it became a brick. No warning whatsoever.
I have growing frustration over the lack of communication with the service team via the app. Some of my questions get answered while others are ignored. An example was my asking about warranty on the new (I’m learning it must be refurbished and a wait of 6 weeks “to find another one.”) battery. No reply other than asking if I approved the repair estimate.
The S-85 car is otherwise perfect - no visible wear and tear inside or out and only has 59k miles.
This 18k hit is tough and is unavoidable I assume. Or is this the time to sell it to someone who can part it out?
I would only do the battery if you love the car and will keep it at least another four years. If that is all true, only go for a new battery. A new battery will cost $4-6k more than a reman but will increase range, supercharge faster, sheds 110+ lbs., and will come with a 4/50k warranty.

Still, I could change my mind in a month because as I said I love the car! Maybe I’ll drive it until the next battery replacement and then I’d feel more comfortable just selling for salvage.
Have you reached out to any of the third party battery replacement outfits? There's one in San Marcos, TX that could be cheaper than going through the Tesla Service Center. https://recell-ev.com/

Another outfit is 057 Technology They also offer battery replacement but will buy your bricked vehicle at a decent price if you decide to get rid of it as is.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Ask ReCell for quote. Ask 057 & Gruber. Get quotes. Keep it. I just bought Infotainment upgrade for my 2012.
My battery is going to need replacement,. No way u can get a new car for the minimum cost of battery pack.
Any, any new car will cost more than replacement pack.
In economics it's called ROI, it's a 1000% if u keep it for 5 yrs or longer.

If I was in your situation; I would see if wk057 can just downgrade the pack to a 75 w/ a bms from a donor if it's only one or two cells that are done. That would be the preferred situation for most of us w/ older model s who don't want a $15k bill and get another 2-3 years out of it for less than a $5k repair.

These are great replies thank you. I had just accepted to get it done by Tesla but it’s now been 6 weeks and the pack they had received was “no good” according to the service rep. No known timeframe to get another.
I didn’t know there was a place in San Marcus and O57. I really like the idea of the pack downgrade.
I will reach out and see if I can get some insight and education from them.
I will keep y’all posted.

im wondering if the price of the new pack went up because the old pack is no good anymore.
i am taking my car in for service to see if i can get a new pack this weekend, im thinking that replacing it before the warranty is up might be the best option for me assuming they sell the new pack for less money if the current one is still in good condition. (basically giving more money for the old pack) definitely do not want a refurbished pack, they could just give the same one back to me telling me im good to go and id have no way to tell.

im wondering if the price of the new pack went up because the old pack is no good anymore.
i am taking my car in for service to see if i can get a new pack this weekend, im thinking that replacing it before the warranty is up might be the best option for me assuming they sell the new pack for less money if the current one is still in good condition. (basically giving more money for the old pack) definitely do not want a refurbished pack, they could just give the same one back to me telling me im good to go and id have no way to tell.
At Tesla, the old pack for S & X has a $10,000 core value regardless of condition while 3 & Y have a $5,000 core. From what I understand, @wk057 works differently as he expects a good pack exchange when performing an upgrade.

New 90 KWH packs are going for $17k and you'll get 4yr/50k warranty. It'll be interesting to see what they'll offer for your current pack.

New 90 KWH packs are going for $17k and you'll get 4yr/50k warranty. It'll be interesting to see what they'll offer for your current pack.
they wont sell it to me, dublin ca told me they can only put the same battery pack into the car
fremont ca told me they can only put a 85kw battery or 80kw battery in the car.
i guess i need to drive around to more service centers to find someone who can say yes, i need to find other people in my area with the new battery pack to see where they got theirs from and who they talked to.

They said it had bad cells.
*Update; just got a revised estimate: now it 23k! It went from 18k including the informatainment fix.
23k? I’m seriously furious.
I have reached out to the other options noted in this thread and waiting to hear back.
Get a trade-in quote from Tesla and see where that leads.

At this new price, I seriously suggest that the "investment" is a bad call. If you get tapped in a minor accident, your would be a total at far less money than you have in the car . . . .

Overall, this is a VERY bad look for Tesla: long waits, variable pricing, and crazy high prices as well.

Elon: get on this as these "solutions" aren't great.

Thx.