Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Tesla S85 with Autopilot for 21K but no warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

Really new to the forum but I have been looking for a good deal on a Tesla (my first) so I came across a friend that his family member is selling theirs to get another car. So I was offered the car for 20K (Carmax value) + 1K (bonus) = 21K for the car. Here is the detail about the car:

2014 Tesla S85 with autopilot 135K Miles all the repairs are up to date.

What worry me is that since the car is out of warranty I would have to pay for everything out pocket so I am hoping that I don't have to replace a battery or motor any time soon. Are these legitimate concern? is the car worth 21K?

The motor and battery should still be under warranty.... 8 year or unlimited miles. Everything else is out of warranty.

I have a 2013 S 85 with no warranty (except the motor and battery) so far everything has been good. Some minor issues that are common with Tesla. Door handles mostly.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and croman
I'd say get it. Just pushing 123k miles on my 2014 S 85 and it honestly feels like a new car. Biggest thing I had to do was replace the on-board charger and that was $2500. I don't feel bad about it because I've saved that much in gas and then some since getting the car. I'd buy the car again in a heartbeat at that price.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
My friend is looking at trading a 2008 Mercedes and Cafe racer motorcycle for a 2013 60 @ 104K miles (195 rated) listed at $28k but he will take $24,500 without fixing the passenger door handle
I think it is a decent deal and hard to pass up based on the trades, she never rode the cycle and has trouble selling the Merc

We would take this one in a second at $21k if she had cash

I'd drive her down there today even...

There's a thread about fixing door handles for like $10 around here somewhere. Tesla parts for those failures got cheap in the last year so the $1000 door fix reputation works in your favor now.

Get the S85 at that price, it's a steal.
Maybe even free. I had a door issue and it was just a loose wire. I had already opened it up so I knew which part was the problem, and as soon as I noticed what it was, I used hot glue. That was over a year ago and I've had zero issues since. :p

Hello Everyone,

Really new to the forum but I have been looking for a good deal on a Tesla (my first) so I came across a friend that his family member is selling theirs to get another car. So I was offered the car for 20K (Carmax value) + 1K (bonus) = 21K for the car. Here is the detail about the car:

2014 Tesla S85 with autopilot 135K Miles all the repairs are up to date.

What worry me is that since the car is out of warranty I would have to pay for everything out pocket so I am hoping that I don't have to replace a battery or motor any time soon. Are these legitimate concern? is the car worth 21K?
Yes, it's worth more than 21K. Motor & battery have 8-year unlimited mile warranty even though the rest of the car is out of warranty, IIRC. Motor only costs about $5K if it does fail. Battery never fails, though it'll lose range.

You're close enough to a service center that it shouldn't be a problem scheduling repairs of other stuff. Some of it's moderately expensive ($500 door handles-$2500 MCU) but given that similar cars sell for $25K-$30K, you have an allowance for that.

Yes, it's worth more than 21K. Motor & battery have 8-year unlimited mile warranty even though the rest of the car is out of warranty, IIRC. Motor only costs about $5K if it does fail. Battery never fails, though it'll lose range.

You're close enough to a service center that it shouldn't be a problem scheduling repairs of other stuff. Some of it's moderately expensive ($500 door handles-$2500 MCU) but given that similar cars sell for $25K-$30K, you have an allowance for that.
25 or 30k? I hope more than that. I just spend 36k on a 2014 85 with ap1. Ahhh disregard, i didnt factor in mileage. I have 52k miles.