Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 85D - being quoted $1300 to replace the tires from SC ?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 18k my tires are at the end of their life, and need replacement. I'm being quoted a number that seems to be 60% higher than I've seen others pay. What have you guys paid to replace tires on a D base model?
Michelin MXM4 tires are $300 apiece from Tesla, and not much less anywhere else. Last I asked Tesla wanted $50 per wheel for mounting, balancing, etc. So that comes to $1400. Plus tax. So why are you getting a better deal than that?

Of course, tires wearing out at 18,000 miles seems odd. They shouldn't do that.

Of course, tires wearing out at 18,000 miles seems odd. They shouldn't do that.

Considering 99% of the driving is with little kids in the car going to school and playdates, I agree. It's not being taken to the racetrack :rolleyes:
But my car is the epitome of Murphy's Law. It's having the high voltage junction box replaced today.

I see what you're saying about the tires - I don't have the car in front of me and didn't know what was on the car tbh, I was just checking tire prices online and saw lots in the same size for lots less, from major brands. And saw posts on Tesla.com's forum about what people had been paying, but those must have been different tires. Any reason I need to stick with these pricey shoes for the car? I can save a ton of money if the PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS are acceptable..

At 18k my tires are at the end of their life, and need replacement. I'm being quoted a number that seems to be 60% higher than I've seen others pay. What have you guys paid to replace tires on a D base model?

If you have Americas Tire in town you might want to shop there. They are a lot less expensive than the SC. If you have Michelin tires you can ask them to get in touch with Michelin and file a warranty claim. I have an 85D and the tires needed to be replaced at 12,500 miles. I received a new set with a pro-rated discount.

Do you remember what the mileage warranty was for these tires? 50k?
I don't think the original tires have any warranty at all. Might be wrong about that though. It's possible that there's some implied warranty or consumer protection thing. You can also ask Tesla about this. It seems likely the cause of premature wear is not the tires themselves.

Tesla also sells Goodyears on their web store for a lot less. From looking around the forums it doesn't seem that people have been all that happy with them. The current Goodyears they put on new cars are different though. In general I wouldn't put any old tires on my Tesla though, since they have unusual properties they need: low rolling resistance, high performance, durability. You would know best whether you need to care about handling ice and snow.

I don't think the original tires have any warranty at all. Might be wrong about that though. It's possible that there's some implied warranty or consumer protection thing. You can also ask Tesla about this. It seems likely the cause of premature wear is not the tires themselves.

Tesla also sells Goodyears on their web store for a lot less. From looking around the forums it doesn't seem that people have been all that happy with them. The current Goodyears they put on new cars are different though. In general I wouldn't put any old tires on my Tesla though, since they have unusual properties they need: low rolling resistance, high performance, durability. You would know best whether you need to care about handling ice and snow.

Yes they do. The warranty comes from the manufacturer not Tesla.

I have an 85D as well and investigated this too. The Michelin Pilots have a 45k warranty. You should definitely go to a tire shop though and check this out. My SC was telling me I needed to replace my front tires at 25k, but when I went to a tire shop they said I had lots more wear (tires were at 5/32 and 6/32). And, they said the wear level wasn't enough to trigger any warranty.. Guess who I went to when I did need to replace the tires..

I got right at 30,000 miles from my original MXM4s, I too don't drive very aggressively, and would have gotten at least another 5000 miles on the MXM4s had I not tore the sidewall on one tire in a parking lot ( at least I didn't scrape the wheel!) After I saw how much the MXM4s were, I went to Discount Tire and got them to order a set of Pirelli PZero All Season plus tires for about 200 ea- Out the door with mounting and balancing and tax they were about $975 I have about 1500 miles on them so far and while they are slightly more noisy than the MXM4s were, they ride well, and seem to have good grip.

Thanks, I do have that shop (Discount Tire) and I'll see about that. Do you remember what the mileage warranty was for these tires? 50k?
You could probably go to any Discount Tire but I know that the location a block west of the Denver Service Center handles a lot of Teslas. We had a set of wheels put on there and got their tire warranty on the existing Tesla tires.

The Rocklin SC replaced my Michelin's at about 40,000 miles. Price was a little less than Tire Rack price plus they did a four wheel alignment.
You can get cheaper tires... but they're cheaper tires.