Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S 70 Battery Replacement Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@KeyserSoze did your Supercharger charging speeds change at all with the 90kWh pack?
Since I never actually charged the car with the original battery ( I literally drove it from the dealer to the service center to get the battery replaced same day ) I have no idea if there was an increased charging speed. What does the 70 kWh battery pack cap out at for charging speed? My understanding the hardware the adapter(?) to the battery controls the actual speed so I imagine its the same? I don't actually know so I am sure someone can correct me if what I said is wrong.

Typically, a 70 tops out around 115-ish kW for a very short period of time. Here's an example of mine at a v3 SC.

1669302985000.png

There's some evidence that the new 90 C packs can sustain more power for longer periods of time (ie reduces the amount of time sitting at a charger) as seen in this post: Time for a new HV Battery

Another owner is doing a test to help give a second data point: HV Battery service

I'm curious about all this because I'm a bit of a data geek and given that my S is 9 months from being out of battery/drive train warranty I like to have knowledge in case something goes sideways with my car.

Typically, a 70 tops out around 115-ish kW for a very short period of time. Here's an example of mine at a v3 SC.

View attachment 877841

There's some evidence that the new 90 C packs can sustain more power for longer periods of time (ie reduces the amount of time sitting at a charger) as seen in this post: Time for a new HV Battery

Another owner is doing a test to help give a second data point: HV Battery service

I'm curious about all this because I'm a bit of a data geek and given that my S is 9 months from being out of battery/drive train warranty I like to have knowledge in case something goes sideways with my car.
How did you pull this graph? I can try to get it from mine to give a concrete answer, anecdotally I think mine is pulling around the same you're showing ever with the same spikes in peak 115 kW.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
How did you pull this graph? I can try to get it from mine to give a concrete answer, anecdotally I think mine is pulling around the same you're showing ever with the same spikes in peak 115 kW.

I ended up going to the v3 super charger today. My charging speed spiked out at about 120 kW for a few minutes and settled at about 65 - 70 kW.
Take a look at this article. Did you charging look more like the BT70 - which is the dog of all Tesla batteries, or more like the BTX4 (90D). BT70 would be at 35kw by about 80%. With the battery locked to 70kwh a BTX4 shouldn't have gone below 50kwh all the way up to '100%' (78% of BTX4).

My battery was replaced today. I was surprised it was a two day service but they gave me a P100D loaner. Ludacris+ mode is fun ... literally slam your head into the headrest while you get to 60 in under 3 seconds. It was a two day service because they have to replace some suspension and brackets for the heavier battery. They installed a new 90kwh 350V battery (there is no "REMAN" on the label). As reported by many others this year it is a 1014116-00-C.

Three things A new, non REMAN a battery gives me a lot of life on this car. Already had a new drive unit with the upgraded bearings seals at 30k. I plan on keeping this car past warranty. That's huge.

It is software limited to 70kwh, but my range is back to original (no degradation) - 236 according to TeslaFi - was 206. My charging speed is insanely faster (matches the ABRP charging curves I posted before the replacements). I haven't taken it to the Supercharger yet, but as part of the service the center charged it to 100%. 100% is only 78% of a 90kwh battery.

Today's charge: 13%-100% added 60.68kwh in 42 minutes, end charge was at 16kw
10/30/22 (old battery): 10-93% added 52.23khw in 1 hour 16 minutes, end charge at 58kw

I take a lot of trips from Tucson to LA / San Diego (daughter in competitive soccer). According to ABRP my trips will be much faster. Just under 7.5 hours instead of 9 or more hours. I did not ask about cost to remove the software lock, maybe another day. I really don't care because charging from 10-80% on the highway is plenty and faster than going to max. I've only ever charged to 100% at home at the start of a trip in the past. It's such a small use case the money doesn't matter. But if I ever do sell I will certainly mention the improved charging performance.

Only con: in the past if I was having a dinner while charging I could set to 100% and be really safe with 1.5hr+ charging time that I wouldn't get charged idle time. With 42 min charges that feature is gone. I will have to be close enough to vehicle to move it. I can put up with that, car has free supercharging for life. I save hundreds on each of these trips versus driving my other car (SUV).

My battery was replaced today. I was surprised it was a two day service but they gave me a P100D loaner. Ludacris+ mode is fun ... literally slam your head into the headrest while you get to 60 in under 3 seconds. It was a two day service because they have to replace some suspension and brackets for the heavier battery. They installed a new 90kwh 350V battery (there is no "REMAN" on the label). As reported by many others this year it is a 1014116-00-C.

Three things A new, non REMAN a battery gives me a lot of life on this car. Already had a new drive unit with the upgraded bearings seals at 30k. I plan on keeping this car past warranty. That's huge.

It is software limited to 70kwh, but my range is back to original (no degradation) - 236 according to TeslaFi - was 206. My charging speed is insanely faster (matches the ABRP charging curves I posted before the replacements). I haven't taken it to the Supercharger yet, but as part of the service the center charged it to 100%. 100% is only 78% of a 90kwh battery.

Today's charge: 13%-100% added 60.68kwh in 42 minutes, end charge was at 16kw
10/30/22 (old battery): 10-93% added 52.23khw in 1 hour 16 minutes, end charge at 58kw

I take a lot of trips from Tucson to LA / San Diego (daughter in competitive soccer). According to ABRP my trips will be much faster. Just under 7.5 hours instead of 9 or more hours. I did not ask about cost to remove the software lock, maybe another day. I really don't care because charging from 10-80% on the highway is plenty and faster than going to max. I've only ever charged to 100% at home at the start of a trip in the past. It's such a small use case the money doesn't matter. But if I ever do sell I will certainly mention the improved charging performance.

Only con: in the past if I was having a dinner while charging I could set to 100% and be really safe with 1.5hr+ charging time that I wouldn't get charged idle time. With 42 min charges that feature is gone. I will have to be close enough to vehicle to move it. I can put up with that, car has free supercharging for life. I save hundreds on each of these trips versus driving my other car (SUV).
My 2013 85 sustains terrible supercharging speed. Will hit 120kW at 1-3% SoC. But anything after 10% and it's in the 40kWs... I am hoping to move to a 90. Hoping prices come down a bit more, or will explore third party solutions like in the shop in Texas or Wk057. Aside from a bubbling screen and the charging, I still love the car and want to drive it as long as possible.

I'm pretty psyched about 58kw minimum (only cause it's software locked to 70 and that means it's getting to about 84% of a 90 - 68.8kwh/81.8kwh).

I should have mentioned max charge was 115kw and it stayed above 100kw until about 54%. TeslaFi chart isn't as pretty as what was uploaded previously but you can get the info here ... 13-100% charge.

chart_main.jpeg

I also have a 70D, 84K miles, 8 months left on warranty. At 85% charge I get 189 miles so estimate 222 miles at 100%. I have done MCU2 upgrade. So far no issues with either drive train or battery. I minimize supercharging, avoid extreme temperatures and done everything possible to maximize battery life. Curious if you plan to sell when out of warranty. I'm undecided??
Hi, I have a 2015 model s 70d. My battery failed during a roadtrip. Luckily it was under warranty. They put in a new pack and I paid 4.5k Canadian to turn my car into a 90 D. Now my range on a full battery is 486km!
Its awesome!

Hi, I have a 2015 model s 70d. My battery failed during a roadtrip. Luckily it was under warranty. They put in a new pack and I paid 4.5k Canadian to turn my car into a 90 D. Now my range on a full battery is 486km!
Its awesome!
You were definitely very lucky to have your battery fail under warranty, and get a 90D replacement. I just cri
Its awesome!
Hi Lucky Russell, You should buy a lottery ticket!
You had some very good luck to fail under warranty, then get a 90D replacement for just CAN$ 4.5k. My 15' 70D just passed 90,000 miles (145,000 km) and going out of warranty soon. One day I'll be buying a battery for, I expect, US$14-20,000! Consider thats your savings by failing under warranty. Will you get any extended warranty with this replacement? Probably not. When does your warranty end?
How many miles on your 70D?
Did you have MCU2 upgrade?
What is your VIN last six?
(Mine are 086399)
Still with original drive train?
My 100% charge is now about 220.
Regards...

Its awesome!
Wow, congrats Russell. I have a 2015 70D and am also in Ottawa, so mine’s had similar weather extremes as yours. How many KMs were on the original battery when it failed?

These battery prices have been going down. Last few postings people have been seeing around 15k but I believe that's a "remanufactured" pack and many have been getting lucky since no remanufactured packs exist and they've gotten a new battery instead with Tesla honoring the original pricing.