Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 model s 70, charged 100% since new

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes all, my friend in Phoenix AZ HAS CHARGED AND PLUGGED IN HIS MODEL S 70 to 100% for 2 years sratight and was stored in a hot 130 degree garage in summers at 100% from new in may 2015 it has moved 214 miles, is this car worth buying or is there battery damage ? Poor model S!

Yes all, my friend in Phoenix AZ HAS CHARGED AND PLUGGED IN HIS MODEL S 70 to 100% for 2 years sratight and was stored in a hot 130 degree garage in summers at 100% from new in may 2015 it has moved 214 miles, is this car worth buying or is there battery damage ? Poor model S!

At least when operated normally, high ambient temperature doesn't seem to accelerate battery degradation for the Model S (see the conclusions here- https://survey.pluginamerica.org/model-s/reports/Battery-Longevity-16x9.pdf)

If the car was plugged in the whole time hopefully the thermal management system kept the battery from getting too hot. Driving the car definitely degrades the battery (my S85 with 90,000 miles is down to 250 miles on a full charge) so it's possible the low mileage will balance out leaving the car charged to 100% for so long. But figuring this out will probably be more involved than just looking at how many rated miles the car reports with a 100% charge (although that would be a good place to start) since it's been a while since battery management system has been able to accurately measure the battery capacity. Assuming the owner doesn't want to put lots of miles on the car to just test the battery capacity, you will have to drain the battery to less than 10% using the climate controls and then charge back up to 100% to get a more accurate reading.

At least when operated normally, high ambient temperature doesn't seem to accelerate battery degradation for the Model S (see the conclusions here- https://survey.pluginamerica.org/model-s/reports/Battery-Longevity-16x9.pdf)

If the car was plugged in the whole time hopefully the thermal management system kept the battery from getting too hot. Driving the car definitely degrades the battery (my S85 with 90,000 miles is down to 250 miles on a full charge) so it's possible the low mileage will balance out leaving the car charged to 100% for so long. But figuring this out will probably be more involved than just looking at how many rated miles the car reports with a 100% charge (although that would be a good place to start) since it's been a while since battery management system has been able to accurately measure the battery capacity. Assuming the owner doesn't want to put lots of miles on the car to just test the battery capacity, you will have to drain the battery to less than 10% using the climate controls and then charge back up to 100% to get a more accurate reading.
I see thanks for the link, the issue here too is will tesla have on air reports about what I call battery abuse, and if that battery goes south or fried cells, I am thinking the warranty is kiboshed

And I thought I was an idiot for not charging my lithium ion battery for my drill for 2 years.

I just didn't use the drill during those years, and completely forgot about it.

To the topic at hand I think it's best to try out for a couple weeks. It could be that the range is completely out of whack. So it could reset at some other number if it was actually driven close to zero miles, and then charged back up.

You also want to see what the 90% is.

• Funny
Reactions: Az_Rael
And I thought I was an idiot for not charging my lithium ion battery for my drill for 2 years.

To the topic at hand I think it's best to try out for a couple weeks. It could be that the range is completely out of whack. So it could reset at some other number if it was actually driven close to zero miles, and then charged back up.

I see, so real world range testing that's good if he eill let those miles climb I think he thinks there is cache to no miles on the car, trouble is the battery has a shelf life!

Does the service center say the battery warranty would be honored?

I see thanks for the link, the issue here too is will tesla have on air reports about what I call battery abuse, and if that battery goes south or fried cells, I am thinking the warranty is kiboshed

I don't think Tesla can invalidate the warranty on the battery simply because it was charged to 100% all the time and stored in a hot location.

Here is what Elon Musk had to say about it in a blog post:

(I added the bold.)

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

--
Battery Warranty

The battery pack in your car is obviously very important and expensive to replace. In developing the Model S, we took great care to ensure that the battery would protect itself, always retaining a few percent of energy. If something goes wrong, it is therefore our fault, not yours.

Except in the cases of a collision, opening of the battery pack by non-Tesla personnel or intentional abuse (lighting the pack on fire with a blowtorch is not covered!), all damage is covered by warranty, including improper maintenance or unintentionally leaving the pack at a low state of charge for years on end. The battery will be replaced at no cost by a factory reconditioned unit with an energy capacity equal to or better than the original pack before the failure occurred.

The intent is to provide complete peace of mind about owning your Model S even if you never read or followed the instructions in the manual.

Elon

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: MisterT2 and sbtz
I don't think Tesla can invalidate the warranty on the battery simply because it was charged to 100% all the time and stored in a hot location.

Here is what Elon Musk had to say about it in a blog post:

(I added the bold.)

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

--
Battery Warranty

The battery pack in your car is obviously very important and expensive to replace. In developing the Model S, we took great care to ensure that the battery would protect itself, always retaining a few percent of energy. If something goes wrong, it is therefore our fault, not yours.

Except in the cases of a collision, opening of the battery pack by non-Tesla personnel or intentional abuse (lighting the pack on fire with a blowtorch is not covered!), all damage is covered by warranty, including improper maintenance or unintentionally leaving the pack at a low state of charge for years on end. The battery will be replaced at no cost by a factory reconditioned unit with an energy capacity equal to or better than the original pack before the failure occurred.

The intent is to provide complete peace of mind about owning your Model S even if you never read or followed the instructions in the manual.

Elon
That's great proof that tesla stands behind its machines and batteries even with user error, this car is a winner, now the question is, what would ever one on here like to pay for a warranties car with 214 miles 2015 model years 70 d AWD? And thanks again for sharing!

All 70s are actually 75kw/h software limited batteries right? So in that sense, this car has been sitting with a ~93% fully charged battery. That's quite a bit of wiggle room compared to charging a 90 to 100%. If Tesla agree to respect warranty, that sounds like one heck of a deal at 35k.