Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 FSD Upgrade Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post here, trying to decide what to get. Looking to spend sub-70k. If I'm able to find the oldest possible AP2.0, October 2016 build, that did not have FSD added at purchase, can I add it now? If so, what would that cost be (confused by recent events) and does that then make it eligible for the free HW3 upgrade?

First post here, trying to decide what to get. Looking to spend sub-70k. If I'm able to find the oldest possible AP2.0, October 2016 build, that did not have FSD added at purchase, can I add it now? If so, what would that cost be (confused by recent events) and does that then make it eligible for the free HW3 upgrade?

Can you add it now? Yes

What is the cost? $2,000

Free HW3 upgrade? That is the assumption.

My December 2016 S, purchased with EAP but not FSD, currently has the option to buy FSD in MyTesla for $2,000. Not that I'm going to, but that's a story for another thread. ;)

Can you add it now? Yes

What is the cost? $2,000

Free HW3 upgrade? That is the assumption.

My December 2016 S, purchased with EAP but not FSD, currently has the option to buy FSD in MyTesla for $2,000. Not that I'm going to, but that's a story for another thread. ;)

Nice quick reply. What if EAP wasn't purchased, is the hardware always there and can be enabled? Just trying to determine exactly which options I need to have and which I can buy without and add.

Nice quick reply. What if EAP wasn't purchased, is the hardware always there and can be enabled? Just trying to determine exactly which options I need to have and which I can buy without and add.

Yes, hardware is always there. If you buy a car without EAP your cost should be $2k to enable "autopilot" and an additional $3k for FSD.

Last edited:
Yes, hardware is always there. If you buy a car without EAP your cost should be $3k to enable "autopilot" and an additional $2k for FSD.
No . $2000 for AP and $3000 more for FSD. On the account it will initially show $2000 for AP and $5000 for FSD (a combined price), then if only AP is purchased it will show the $3000 balance for FSD. I just did it a week ago for my 12/2016 S and am waiting on FSD.

Crazy pricing. To add FSD to my previously EAP-equipped 3 it will cost $2000, presumably $1000 less than for my S to account for the fact I got hosed on the 3’s EAP.:)

Last edited:
You'll be able to add whatever the car you buy doesn't have. What the cost will be is anybody's guess. I have a 2016 S75D with EAP. Supposedly I can buy FSD for $2K but I can't. Why not no Tesla account. Why no Tesla account. Because Tesla won't activate until I supply them with registration in my name from my state DMV. My state took 6 weeks to issue it. Went to Tesla SC today with registration and $2K to buy FSD because I was concerned the price would change with 3/18 price increases. Was told no can do. It's apparently going to take another 3 weeks or so before the car is assigned to my Tesla account. At that time I can purchase on my account page at whatever the price is at that point in time. SMH.

Yes, you can add FSD on top of EAP for $2,000 before 18 March 2019. On or after 18 March, the price of FSD after delivery for those who have EAP will be $4,000. Yes, it does include the free HW3 computer swap. This was confirmed by Elon yesterday here.

Even though you will get the new Autopilot computer if you buy FSD, it is unclear whether the cameras will be swapped too. Without those, you won't have the Sentry Mode and Dashcam features. These work with AP2.5 but not with AP2.0. In addition, there is a chance the Model 3 could support driverless Full Self-Driving but the AP2.0 Model S won't. It doesn't have the same level of redundancy. Therefore, you might want to consider buying a new Model 3 instead of a used Model S. Also, all Model 3s support Supercharger V3. None of the Model S/X do.

2017 Model 75D
  • AP2.0 hardware
  • 224 miles range at 75 mph. Source
  • $64,950
  • 4.2s 0-60
  • Doesn't supports Supercharger V3
  • The touchscreen is slower (was upgraded on 14 Mar 2018)
  • It's a used car

2019 Model 3 LR AWD
  • AP2.5 hardware
  • 275 miles range at 75 mph. Source
  • $47,000 for the car + $3,000 for AP - $3,750 tax credits= $46,250
  • 4.5s 0-60
  • Supports Supercharger V3
  • The touchscreen is faster
  • It's a new car

Last edited:
Yes, you can add FSD on top of EAP for $2,000 before 18 March 2019. On or after 18 March, the price of FSD after delivery for those who have EAP will be $4,000. Yes, it does include the free HW3 computer swap. This was confirmed by Elon yesterday here.

Even though you will get the new Autopilot computer if you buy FSD, it is unclear whether the cameras will be swapped too. Without those, you won't have the Sentry Mode and Dashcam features. These work with AP2.5 but not with AP2.0. In addition, there is a chance the Model 3 could support driverless Full Self-Driving but the AP2.0 Model S won't. It doesn't have the same level of redundancy. Therefore, you might want to consider buying a new Model 3 instead of a used Model S. Also, all Model 3s support Supercharger V3. None of the Model S/X do.

2017 Model 75D
  • AP2.0 hardware
  • 224 miles range at 75 mph. Source
  • $64,950
  • 4.2s 0-60
  • Doesn't supports Supercharger V3
  • The touchscreen is slower (was upgraded on 14 Mar 2018)
  • It's a used car

2019 Model 3 LR AWD
  • AP2.5 hardware
  • 275 miles range at 75 mph. Source
  • $47,000 for the car + $3,000 for AP - $3,750 tax credits= $46,250
  • 4.5s 0-60
  • Supports Supercharger V3
  • The touchscreen is faster
  • It's a new car

You make a compelling economic case, however 2 points that I would add:

1) S vs. 3 are two completely different vehicles. Having spent time in a 3 (coming from an S) I found the 3 to be much smaller and more cramped. It's a beautiful car, comfortable, excellent across the board, but it's not an S or X. That's like comparing a Taurus to a Focus.

2) In this scenario, the S is a 100k car that you're purchasing for 65k. The 3 is a 40k car that you're purchasing for 46k. Depreciation is a bitch that can work for or against you....

• Disagree
Reactions: CreamSoduh
I don't get the "might as well buy a 3 for that price" argument. No different than getting a new Civic vs a used Accord Sport, not comparable. I think the 3 is ugly from the front, mostly from the side and from the back. It's tiny. And the center console screen looks like its on a bad flat screen mount.

Just me or is this used market just crazy as hell. I'm watching 8 websites and see used models coming and going so fast. In the last 2 days, 3 have met my requirements and gone before I get in contact.

I've noticed the exact same thing. Was trying to buy my wife one for the last few weeks, and they have come and gone so quickly. Finally did pull the trigger on a M3P and she loves it.