Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with the above...

The past options of allowing owners to go with pre and post announcement is a logistical nightmare for a manufacturing company.

As tesla grow they will rely on the just in time system... This means they won't hold more than days or week of inventory at any given time.

Easiest way is to just give everyone all the upgrade who's car has not been manufactured and it would seems ideal it would be any car before announcement.

This is a just in time manufacturing and just in time delivery system... If the above isn't the case it simply implies tesla parts are stored at the manufacturer and some how they are able to manage all parts at equal number for the upgrade...

If you were management, why bother?

Yes, this. There's absolutely no way that they are going to make different cars simultaneously. If there is a refresh, it will be a flash cut. The interesting question then becomes when to do the cut-over--before you announce it? After you announce it? Simultaneous with the announcement?

Each possibility carries with it the risk of pissing off customers, so my guess is that the new cars are either already being built (meaning the cut-over has already happened, as potentially suggested by the pics at the top of the thread), or that it is going to happen at the same time as the announcement.

I just don't see why, if you were Tesla, you'd announce the cut-over and then spend any significant time building "rump" early 2016 cars. Those cars are going to be impossible to sell, and lots of people with pending orders are going to cancel and wait, which creates all sorts of logistical issues.

All of this goes to show why "traditional" carmakers have stuck with the model year concept. It's easy and predictable, both for the companies and their suppliers and for customers. The "continuous improvement" model is great, but inevitably it means that some people will take delivery of their shiny new car only to be surprised days or weeks later when it is suddenly obsolete.

Reactions: valkeriefire
Tesla’s Model S refresh expected to include Bioweapons grade filter, 100kWh, X-like front end, more

We first reported that the Model S was expected to get a facelift at the end of last year. Since then, we’ve received information from sources on exactly what that would look like. The TL;DR is that the front end will look more like a Model X, minor appearance changes will happen to the rear lights, seats will be vented like the Model X. But there’s more…

We speculated that the price increase could also allow Tesla to increase its battery size to the rumored 100kWh:

And finally, what about that 100kWh battery we’ve been hearing so much about? If it is in the Model S firmware, it can’t be far off from launch, right? I mean how far ahead is Tesla thinking with its software here? Perhaps it showed up because it needed to be used in testing vehicles?

With that extra bit of battery and some other small tweaks, maybe Tesla can bump its top range to significantly over 300 miles from the current 288 EPA-rated of the 90D. If the math works, a 11% increase in battery should bump the 100D to around 320 miles of range.

This weekend, two reports seem to corroborate that information. Cnet on Friday reported *almost* identical specs to what I’d heard, but from an entirely separate source(s) according to writer Tim Stevens.

Not to be outdone, this morning, the Verge writes that not only will the updated Model S have the 100kWh option but also the Bioweapons defense air filter option which will bring the much touted air-cleaner to more potential customers.

The only questions now is when, and if I had to guess I ‘d say “any minute”. (That’s also what the Tesla Store folks are saying)

I know, it was tongue in cheek.
When I went in to the Tesla store on Saturday I told the employee I heard there would be changes the next day and said are you sure you don't have any new colors in the back you are gonna put out at the end of the night.
He said "no" and he was right.

Unclear as to your meaning. You asked if the employee was sure they didn't have any new colors in the back to be put out at the end of the night and "He said 'no'". What you wrote means that he wasn't sure. Or do you mean that he meant, "no, we don't have any new colors in the back?"

Another issue that the company needs to contend with is to honor orders placed at the old pricing. I have a pending order for May delivery and if they switch production to the new refreshed look around the time of the announcement (presumably this week), they cannot provide me with the car at the price that I locked in my order. I don't mind the new look but could certainly mind the price hike. Not sure what's the way out for them on this. Continue to fulfill old orders with old cars or update the car for these orders at the old pricing.

My guess is the price hike won't be a real price hike. More likely they will make autopilot standard equipment, plus maybe the Lighting package. Make those standard, which makes the S more clearly a luxury car, and the standard price goes up $5500, but the price didn't really go up because most people get those options anyway. This makes the S stick out from the 3 more too. Plus the S needs autopilot standard since they said the 3 will have it standard.