Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You generally want a breaker rated 20% over the current to be passed through, like a 50A breaker for 40A continuous current (prior single charger rating), 100A breaker for 80A wall connector etc... Not sure if you can change to a 60A breaker and still charge at 48A through NEMA 14-50 (but I would like to know as that's my current setup!)

Thats what I thought. My DS said he is still getting more clarification on this because it doesnt make sense to him either. Its looking like I will need to pay for the upgrade "higher amperage charger upgrade" HOPE NOT!

Uhh, I wouldn't... unless you ABSOLUTELY love the new face and think it's worth several thousand dollars... This is a very minor refresh. All the important things about the car (battery and tech) haven't changed... I like the old face much more than mouth-less look. Sure LED lamps are better but I would call these two a wash at best... So it's totally a matter of personal taste.
I would feel pretty much indifferent if I were taking a delivery of an old version vs this new version.

But when it comes to trade in time, the old style would definitely take a hit.
And regardless of how you feel about the old style now, it would begin to look dated in another year or two.

Reactions: gsxdsm
I'm confused by this image:

asdf.jpg

It makes it seem as though Bioweapon Defense Mode can happen automatically. I thought it was something you had to manually assign. Does this mean the car will sense when too many intrusive fumes, etc., have entered the cabin and activate BDM on its own?

Where did they relocate the radar sensor to? If it's above where they used to have it then sweet because up here in Canada we sometimes get the thing full of snow, especially when it's freezing rain or slushy outside and there's a layer of ice covering the radar and disabling cruise & AP.

View attachment 171903

Maybe they're on the side mirrors instead. Stereoscopic radar?

Edit: I take that back. It wouldn't work for a number of reasons. Too much reflection from the car and reduced distance.

Last edited:
Also, if you damaged the nose cone from a minor frontal impact, it cost $140 to replace it. The cost of repairs just went up on the S :

I really don't like the new look at all and if a retrofit becomes available, I'll pass unless I can get just the LED lights.

The thing I love about the MS look is that it looked like a better version of the DB9/Vanquish with the oval in the front. They've now ruined it. Now it looks like a cross between a pug nose an a duckbill.

The nosecone has always been polarizing... For me it's always felt a bit out of place, like the car looks amazing from sides and back but the front left something to be desired. I wasn't a huge fan of the X front until I saw it in person, and I think the new look for the S will suit it well once it's out in the wild. Like it or don't, but I think this is what Tesla probably wanted to do with the S originally (look at the Alpha models), but threw in the cone to be more ICE-like, in my opinion. Seems they are going all-in with the "don't need to flow air to a radiator, so we won't put a grill there" mantra, especially given the X and 3.

In the last few months they've added (at least):

new front end
new 19" wheels
new center console
HEPA filter
Adaptive LED headlights
new higher capacity charger

and all with minimal impact on final price. I think this was a very smart move on Tesla's part, and one to keep MS owners/soon-to-be owners happy, but also with another goal in mind: to get some of the 350,000 people who signed up for M3 to take the plunge now! Anyone else notice the checkbox "I'd like to test drive Model S"?

Thats what I thought. My DS said he is still getting more clarification on this because it doesnt make sense to him either. Its looking like I will need to pay for the upgrade "higher amperage charger upgrade" HOPE NOT!

If you have NEMA 14-50 and it can't charge at 48A, you can tell the car to charge at 40A. The higher capacity charger would require a wall connector with more robust wiring and breaker anyway. What's the current wiring setup?

Many ICE cars today are "bottom breathers". Air is brought in from the bottom and underneath.

The so-called ICE grilles (like Audi) are mostly for styling.

There have been numerous ICE cars without gaping front grilles - most of these have been sports cars where aero was more important.

So I am supposed to pick up my "Classic" new model S tomorrow. Should I cancel, lose my $2,500 deposit, $1,200 referral fee,and &1,500 lower price and re-order so I can get the new front end and color keyed (instead of black) side molding? Personally I expects more changes.

I've heard you can roll over your deposit into a new order. Is this not true?

If you have NEMA 14-50 and it can't charge at 48A, you can tell the car to charge at 40A. The higher capacity charger would require a wall connector with more robust wiring and breaker anyway. What's the current wiring setup?

I was going to go with the basic NEMA 14-50 and have it installed this Friday, but now since this update i want to make sure i can take full advantage of the 48 amp on board charger. It looks like they did this so more people will just go with the tesla wall connector. is my guess anywho.....

First time poster, so go easy on me please :)

I ordered by Model S here in the UK back in February (before the original price increase), but for a variety of reasons, couldn't take delivery until July. The recent price increase is staggering - it's about 6k GBP (10k USD) more than what I paid for it and I can't admit I can't see whats extra as standard. So far, I've got (for free)

new wheels
center console (my service centre confirmed this)
new front (I like both the old and new one, so don't really care)
Model X Lights - I don't even know what this means.
LiftGate as standard seems dubious. I've seen screenshots of this in the configurator with this included as standard, but the one I'm looking at only has it as a part of the premium package,

None of this adds up to 6k worth of extras though, so I'm pretty pleased.

While I hadn't signed up for the premium package previously, I have also emailed the service centre if I can add it now. The air filtration and adaptive lights make it worth it for me

First time poster, so go easy on me please :)

I ordered by Model S here in the UK back in February (before the original price increase), but for a variety of reasons, couldn't take delivery until July. The recent price increase is staggering - it's about 6k GBP (10k USD) more than what I paid for it and I can't admit I can't see whats extra as standard. So far, I've got (for free)

new wheels
center console (my service centre confirmed this)
new front (I like both the old and new one, so don't really care)
Model X Lights - I don't even know what this means.
LiftGate as standard seems dubious. I've seen screenshots of this in the configurator with this included as standard, but the one I'm looking at only has it as a part of the premium package,

None of this adds up to 6k worth of extras though, so I'm pretty pleased.

While I hadn't signed up for the premium package previously, I have also emailed the service centre if I can add it now. The air filtration and adaptive lights make it worth it for me

I've also noticed (from the configurator) that the range is increased on the standard 70 (the one I ordered) from 260 -> 282. Wonder if us existing orderers will benefit from the range increase as well. Very excited :)

I'm confused by this image:

View attachment 171951

It makes it seem as though Bioweapon Defense Mode can happen automatically. I thought it was something you had to manually assign. Does this mean the car will sense when too many intrusive fumes, etc., have entered the cabin and activate BDM on its own?

All I want to know is if someone farts, does it clean up the air in the cabin? Is that part of the automatic response?

Wait, what's the recommended way to close the frunk now?

I assume it will be the same. However, since the new bumper will require the hood to fit flush and even with it rather than over the nose cone, they're going to have to fix something about how the hood seals. Tesla was never able to get my hood to sit evenly and the front two corners where the touch the front bumper on the sides of the nose cone still don't sit flush.