Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone tell me having the standard 48amp charger (old one was 40amp ..right?) will I need to have my receptacle at home rated at 60amps? so i can take the most juice? or is this not possible, since the max the receptacle can handle is 50amps.

Can't believe piano black interior trim has gone. I suppose if enough people wanted it back Elon would get it back. It happened when Tesla took the plain white away from the S, enough people complained to Elon and Tesla about it so they put it back in.

Just got a call from my DS. She said I will be getting the new front end & LED lights but she is unsure if the old "premium" package would upgrade to the new premium package (bio-weapon HEPA filter, adaptive lights, etc.). She was also unsure about the 48A charger. She's looking into it and will call me back.

"Premium Package" ??? I didn't see that option when I configured mine 2 weeks ago... I like the adaptive light option as well as HEPA filter.

But why mention is in the Premium Upgrade package?
I think they have a mistake...I'm just not sure which is accurate. They either didn't mean to add it as a standard feature, or they did and forgot to remove it from the Premium package.

On another note, the images in my pending reservation at the old price now reference Bioweapon Defense Mode, although the description at the bottom is still old.
upload_2016-4-12_11-25-13.png

Interesting information ... I wonder why? Is the wiring harness for the adaptive controls different?

That would be my guess. You might need a seperate wire to power to the stepper motor and you will certainly need a signal line logically tied back to steering wheel angle or front wheel angle to tell the headlights which way to point, so I would venture the harness and connector do not fit. Probably something hackable, but I'll wait until after my car is no longer covered by ESA before taking wire strippers to the harness. :)

Huh. If that's the new S nose, I wonder what the plan is for a car without power?

The old S had you prying off the nosecone to reach the remote terminals, which obviously wouldn't work without a nose cone. They'd have to do something like the X, I suppose.
Walter

Also, if you damaged the nose cone from a minor frontal impact, it cost $140 to replace it. The cost of repairs just went up on the S :

I really don't like the new look at all and if a retrofit becomes available, I'll pass unless I can get just the LED lights.

The thing I love about the MS look is that it looked like a better version of the DB9/Vanquish with the oval in the front. They've now ruined it. Now it looks like a cross between a pug nose an a duckbill.

Can anyone tell me having the standard 48amp charger (old one was 40amp ..right?) will I need to have my receptacle at home rated at 60amps? so i can take the most juice? or is this not possible, since the max the receptacle can handle is 50amps.

You generally want a breaker rated 20% over the current to be passed through, like a 50A breaker for 40A continuous current (prior single charger rating), 100A breaker for 80A wall connector etc... Not sure if you can change to a 60A breaker and still charge at 48A through NEMA 14-50 (but I would like to know as that's my current setup!)

I should probably avoid this thread at this point. Gonna make me super sad with my now obsolete December 2015 car. Lol! Man these upgrades are getting expensive...

It's now $10K more for for my March 2015 P85DL vs ordering a new P90DL. If you subtract $3K for upgraded range, then it's $7K more. But then if you add back the $2500 for CA rebate that I no longer qualify for because of my income, it's $9500 more.