Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might be right but people who have cars being delivered soon are discussing eating their $2500 deposits and reordering.
I think they think their "old' cars are gonna take a hit in value of more than $2500.
You can never tell someone they are right or wrong based on subjective things (looks).
I can tell you I feel like I was very lucky ordering on Saturday and getting this model at the old price.

I agree with Sir Guacamolaf the Classic Model Ss took a hit when the dual motor and autopilot were introduced because those really changed the driving characteristics. The performance model went from a nice performing car to a super car and the 85D matched the performance of the original P85. The latter really tanked values for the P85s, the 85D was in the same price range new as the P85s had been before the change, and a lot of P85 owners upgraded to the latest and greatest and flooded the market with used P85s. Not only did performance improve, but range did too, something that never happens in engineering.

Autopilot is another big step in the evolution of the Tesla 2nd gen platform. Once the firmware was ready, it gave the car features few other cars came close to having.

This upgrade is mostly cosmetic. Except for specialty sports cars collected by the super rich, the looks of a car from one version to another doesn't affect the resale price all that dramatically. Used car buyers are interested in the driving features and reliability of the car more than the looks.

Another thing is people are assuming everyone is going to want the new look over the old. If you look at the poll on the nosecone debate, only 50% of respondents prefer the Model X type nose. About 1/3 prefer the old Model S nose, about 12% are neutral, and the rest are "Other". Those who don't like the new Model S nose may actually prefer an early 2016 to the newer look.

If any of you with older Model Ss who can't stand to look at it anymore, you can give it to me. I won't complain! :rolleyes:

For those who own "classic" model S designs, I say congratulations! You own the car that changed the world. I agree this was largely a cosmetic update and your classic car is that much more special. If you just purchased your classic model S car and are disappointed that Tesla drops such refreshes with our notice, may I remind you that Tesla is not GM, or Audi, or Ford...etc. They have only 2 cars (and only one that sells in volume.) Do you think they have much choice on informing folks about pending changes? They can't take a quarter off of selling cars while folks wait for the fresh one. Besides, they "kinda" telegraphed a change was coming with the whole "price increase in April" thing.

But I do understand the feeling... I took delivery of my P85D minutes before the P90D and luda was announced... I guess I am fortunate I had an upgrade path to luda which I have taken. If i didn't, I would be far more frustrated as it was a step level change in capability. However, I am not worrying about LED lights and a slightly updated nose at all -- and my 2015 car only has 7000 miles on it. Besides, I think the classic S has a better profile (thinner) with the non-painted sills, and the nose cone never bothered me.

At the end of the day, classic model S's are just as beautiful as the fresh design. The appeal from the fresh design is that is is "fresh", and that appeal will normalize over time. IMHO, from most angles, you can't even tell the car was updated -- I mean, at least the running lights are the same awesome shape... Yes, Tesla people will know, but everyone else couldn't care less.

Uhhh no. Lets be realistic here are all the changes,

1. Nose
2. Interior Trims

3. Headlights
4. Biodefense mode
5. 12v battery relocation (maybe)
6. Model X style windshield wipers
7. Slightly more range, most likely due to LEDs being more efficient.
8. Rear diffuser change

9. Price went up by 1.5K, front end repairs will be more expensive.

#3 - is a real improvement, but lets be serious, ModelS eyebrows were hella cool, and ModelS headlights were not BAD by any stretch of imagination.
#1 and #2 are purely subjective. I personally feel the new one looks too bland, too much paint, no character. Tesla eliminated components to simplify their life, the car can be put together in fewer steps now.
#4 - Gimmick.
#6, #7, #8 - Not big changes.
#5 and #9 - Bad changes.

NONE of these changes are a compelling reason to trade in your 2015.
Okay if you had a 2013, I could see some reason, but that reason is mostly AutoPilot.
If you don't care about Autopilot, honestly I'd pocket the cash and keep driving your awesome car.

Lets be honest here, this new "refresh", when you are sitting inside the car, .. its still the same car basically.
The way I see it,
- Gen 1 - 2012
- Gen 2 - AutopIlot
- This is more like Gen 2.1 :)

TL;DR; People are blowing this refresh way out of proportion. The changes are not that major.
#10. Painted / restyled rocker panels

Interesting. First thought was how do you make a mechanical release that only works when car has no 12v power. Second thought is... that is probably why, assuming I understood correctly, there is more than 1 cable that must be pulled in sequence. The first probably acts like a test to verify the battery is dead, and if it is, it completes the linkage for the 2nd cable that actually pops the hood (more precisely, the first pull engages the link for the 2nd mechanically, but the linkage is denied or automatically released electronically if 12v power is present.) Well, anyway, that's what I envision.

Yeah... I was rather thinking of some sort of "Dead Man's Switch" equivalent: constant 12V power is needed to hold a latch closed against spring tension, and if removed, it springs open.

And yet you've said you have closed it at least 2000 times using the two palm method that Tesla now specifically recommends against.

Say what? Maybe I have been asleep at the switch, but where/when has Tesla recommended against the two-hand method to close the hood? First I have heard of this. Just checked the latest version of the Owner's Manual (4/5/16) in MyTesla, and it explicitly describes the 2-hand method and says not to use one hand. So I am confused by your comment. Did I misunderstand you?

Say what? Maybe I have been asleep at the switch, but where/when has Tesla recommended against the two-hand method to close the hood? First I have heard of this. Just checked the latest version of the Owner's Manual (4/5/16) in MyTesla, and it explicitly describes the 2-hand method and says not to use one hand. So I am confused by your comment. Did I misunderstand you?

Indeed, not only is it in mine but my DS explicitly told us to ONLY close the frunk with the "two palm method" right before showing us how to do it during our delivery appointment.

Uhhh no. Lets be realistic here are all the changes,

1. Nose
2. Interior Trims

3. Headlights
4. Biodefense mode
5. 12v battery relocation (maybe)
6. Model X style windshield wipers
7. Slightly more range, most likely due to LEDs being more efficient.
8. Rear diffuser change

9. Price went up by 1.5K, front end repairs will be more expensive.

#3 - is a real improvement, but lets be serious, ModelS eyebrows were hella cool, and ModelS headlights were not BAD by any stretch of imagination.
#1 and #2 are purely subjective. I personally feel the new one looks too bland, too much paint, no character. Tesla eliminated components to simplify their life, the car can be put together in fewer steps now.
#4 - Gimmick.
#6, #7, #8 - Not big changes.
#5 and #9 - Bad changes.

NONE of these changes are a compelling reason to trade in your 2015.
Okay if you had a 2013, I could see some reason, but that reason is mostly AutoPilot.
If you don't care about Autopilot, honestly I'd pocket the cash and keep driving your awesome car.

Lets be honest here, this new "refresh", when you are sitting inside the car, .. its still the same car basically.
The way I see it,
- Gen 1 - 2012
- Gen 2 - AutopIlot
- This is more like Gen 2.1 :)

TL;DR; People are blowing this refresh way out of proportion. The changes are not that major.

As an owner of a 2013 model S I can assure you my perspective is different. It is 70% wanting Autopilot yes. but I also really, really hated the open fish mouth. It is the one thing that I always thought was botched in the design and I cannot unsee it. This change to me is them changing the one really ugly thing that bugged me into a beautiful thing.

I also skip generations in iPhones and I seem to be considering trading in my S. As soon as a 100kWh is available I am decided.

So the refresh IS a big deal in the sense that it will get a lot of model S buyers off the fence.

Last edited:
As an owner of a 2013 model S I can assure you my perspective is different. It is 70% wanting Autopilot yes. but I also really, really hated the open fish mouth. It is the one thing that I always thought was botched in the design and I cannot unsee it. This change to me is them changing the one really ugly thing that bugged me into a beautiful thing.

I also skip generations in iPhones and I seem to be considering trading in my S. As soon as a 100kWh is available I am decided.

So the refresh IS a big deal in the sense that it will get a lot of model S buyers off the fence.

I feel the same way.

I feel the same way.
A friend and have pretty much been waiting since last September when the X was unveiled for this week's S refresh. We both placed orders last Saturday and are waiting for our orders to be confirmed this coming Saturday.

Currently we are both set for May delivery but I'm considering delaying my delivery for a few months as I was really hoping for a larger battery. Is anyone else considering a delayed delivery? Is it possible to change delivery dates via My Tesla or the Design Studio or is that something I would need to talk to an advisor about?

I'm not in any rush but would like to have it before next winter.

A friend and have pretty much been waiting since last September when the X was unveiled for this week's S refresh. We both placed orders last Saturday and are waiting for our orders to be confirmed this coming Saturday.

Currently we are both set for May delivery but I'm considering delaying my delivery for a few months as I was really hoping for a larger battery. Is anyone else considering a delayed delivery? Is it possible to change delivery dates via My Tesla or the Design Studio or is that something I would need to talk to an advisor about?

You can delay on the site. I ordered last October then got word of the refresh and pushed to May. Unfortunately it entered production too soon and I had to eat the deposit. They couldn't push any further. 5-6 months is the limit. I reordered within minutes of the design center changes.

You can delay on the site. I ordered last October then got word of the refresh and pushed to May. Unfortunately it entered production too soon and I had to eat the deposit. They couldn't push any further. 5-6 months is the limit. I reordered within minutes of the design center changes.
Thanks. I was looking in the Design Studio but found the option to change the delivery date under the Pick Up option when viewing the details for this order. You are correct that the max delivery delay is currently six months out, in October.

New question. If I bump out delivery until October but then something is announced earlier, can I change the delivery date for a confirmed order without incurring a fee?

Last edited:
Thanks. I was looking in the Design Studio but found the option to change the delivery date under the Pick Up option when viewing the details for this order. You are correct that the max delivery delay is currently six months out, in October.

New question. If I bump out delivery until October but then something is announced earlier, can I change the delivery date for a confirmed order without incurring a fee?

Yes, this is exactly what I am doing now. My order had a date of Oct (I confirmed April 8) and once the current announcements came out I had them bump it to June. In my opinion there is no point waiting for any additional announcements. My reasoning is as follows: I locked in now because I wanted the lower pricing. If I make ANY change to the car I will be subject to new pricing. I am very happy I'm getting the newly refreshed items but I believe if they come out with a 75 or 100 Kwh battery, ventilated seats, etc... those will be paid upgrades and wouldn't be 'free' like the current situation. As such, if I wanted those I would then be subject to the new pricing which I don't want to do. So, I'm moving forward as-is and not keeping my order with an Oct date.

Yes, this is exactly what I am doing now. My order had a date of Oct (I confirmed April 8) and once the current announcements came out I had them bump it to June. In my opinion there is no point waiting for any additional announcements. My reasoning is as follows: I locked in now because I wanted the lower pricing. If I make ANY change to the car I will be subject to new pricing. I am very happy I'm getting the newly refreshed items but I believe if they come out with a 75 or 100 Kwh battery, ventilated seats, etc... those will be paid upgrades and wouldn't be 'free' like the current situation. As such, if I wanted those I would then be subject to the new pricing which I don't want to do. So, I'm moving forward as-is and not keeping my order with an Oct date.
Had your order already been confirmed or did you bump up the delivery date after confirming?

Had your order already been confirmed or did you bump up the delivery date after confirming?

My order confirmed on April 8. I initially had a May delivery but I immediately had them change it (on April 9) to an Oct delivery because I knew the announcement was coming soon and I didn't want to go into production. Once the announcement came out (on April 12), I had them bump it back up (earliest possible was June at that point).