Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Unlimited Supercharging Removed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2016 Model S P90D with the impression that Unlimited Free Supercharging came with the life of this car. I just took ownership of the car and got the car transferred to my app. The car now shows that the supercharging is Pay Per Use. When I called Tesla, they said that the transferable offer was not for all cars and they can't give me any additional information beyond my time of ownership. Has anyone experience this? How can I get this resolve if any?

It would depend on who you purchased the car from, and if it ever was in Tesla's possession before being sold to you. If the car fell into Tesla's hands at any point before it got to you, they had the option to remove the free unlimited supercharging. They are also correct in that even the 2016 model year cars, if not delivered by a certain date in 2017, did not have FUSC.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Upvote 0
Many many threads on this. The most important detail:

If Tesla ever re-claimed ownership of the car in its sales history (e.g. it was a lease return or someone traded it in to them on a new car) then they removed the free supercharging capability.

It’s fairly common for Tesla to take a car on trade, sell it at auction, and then it ends up on a dealer lot where somebody buys it. When said somebody transfers ownership into their name/account, the free supercharging is removed.

What are the specific details of your purchase/transaction? Do you know the ownership history of the car?

Upvote 0
Many many threads on this. The most important detail:

If Tesla ever re-claimed ownership of the car in its sales history (e.g. it was a lease return or someone traded it in to them on a new car) then they removed the free supercharging capability.

It’s fairly common for Tesla to take a car on trade, sell it at auction, and then it ends up on a dealer lot where somebody buys it. When said somebody transfers ownership into their name/account, the free supercharging is removed.

What are the specific details of your purchase/transaction? Do you know the ownership history of the car?
I bought the car of a Toyota dealership. They never took ownership of the car through Tesla and I had to request ownership in the app. Per CarFax, their were three owners prior to me, lease, owner, owner. The car was delivered on 8/2016. I was under the impression that cars delivered in 2016 has free supercharging. This really screws up my day.

Upvote 0
It would depend on who you purchased the car from, and if it ever was in Tesla's possession before being sold to you. If the car fell into Tesla's hands at any point before it got to you, they had the option to remove the free unlimited supercharging. They are also correct in that even the 2016 model year cars, if not delivered by a certain date in 2017, did not have FUSC.
Per Carfax, the car was originally a lease and delivered on 8/16.

Upvote 0
Dang.. This sucks elephant balls.
Sorry to hear that major crappy news. I still think you bought an awesome car. I've owned a 2015 P90D for 4 years and put over 50,000 miles on it. It has been extremely reliable, with the only out of pocket repairs/maintenance include:
2 door handles (one broken by me)
2 12v batteries
Suspension (control arms, axle shaft)
Brake clean/lubrication
Tires/Wipers

I've thoroughly enjoyed my ownership and still would even if it didn't have free SC/Data and hope you will too.

Upvote 0
To get Tesla to reverse something like that is next to impossible, even if it wasn't a lease return, which is probably when the FUSC was stripped. The closest you can get to free charging now is Level 2 charging at public chargers. I have FUSC but I rarely use it. I mainly charge at a free Level 2 charger near my work that allows 4 hours free charging which gives me 36% for my 75D, and another at a mall that has no time limit. Checkout the Plugshare app and you can find all the Free chargers in your area.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Upvote 0
Per CarFax, their were three owners prior to me, lease, owner, owner.
Yeah. So Tesla almost certainly took the car back at some point and stripped the feature.
I was under the impression that cars delivered in 2016 has free supercharging.
They did. Cars that have never reverted to Tesla ownership continue to. But Tesla has been aggressive at stripping it from any car that they can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To get Tesla to reverse something like that is next to impossible, even if it wasn't a lease return, which is probably when the FUSC was stripped. The closest you can get to free charging now is Level 2 charging at public chargers. I have FUSC but I rarely use it. I mainly charge at a free Level 2 charger near my work that allows 4 hours free charging which gives me 36% for my 75D, and another at a mall that has no time limit. Checkout the Plugshare app and you can find all the Free chargers in your area.
Thanks for tips.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that major crappy news. I still think you bought an awesome car. I've owned a 2015 P90D for 4 years and put over 50,000 miles on it. It has been extremely reliable, with the only out of pocket repairs/maintenance include:
2 door handles (one broken by me)
2 12v batteries
Suspension (control arms, axle shaft)
Brake clean/lubrication
Tires/Wipers

I've thoroughly enjoyed my ownership and still would even if it didn't have free SC/Data and hope you will too.
Thanks, looking forward to enjoying this one.

Upvote 0
I bought the car of a Toyota dealership. They never took ownership of the car through Tesla and I had to request ownership in the app. Per CarFax, their were three owners prior to me, lease, owner, owner. The car was delivered on 8/2016. I was under the impression that cars delivered in 2016 has free supercharging. This really screws up my day.
Which is why when I bought mine (from a Toyota dealer) I told Tesla it was a private party sale. Tesla has (incorrectly) removing FUSC from cars being resold from dealers, even if they haven’t gone through Tesla. Seems they feel that it’s transferable only in private party direct sales

Upvote 0
Which is why when I bought mine (from a Toyota dealer) I told Tesla it was a private party sale. Tesla has (incorrectly) removing FUSC from cars being resold from dealers, even if they haven’t gone through Tesla. Seems they feel that it’s transferable only in private party direct sales
Toyota never took ownership of the car. I did however send in my reg sticker and sales contract to take ownership of it for app purposes.

Upvote 0