Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P100D with free unlimited supercharging for life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car is now sold. Thank you
The transfer of ‘Free Unlimited SC’ in a private sale was the title of my thread and whether or not it would transfer was discussed often. I’d like to provide an update especially for those looking to buy a used Tesla that currently has free unlimited sc.. Unfortunately, in my recent sale, the free sc did NOT transfer to the new owner.
After ownership was transferred from me to the buyer on the Tesla website, the free sc basically vanished. It’s very frustrating considering I was told when I purchased the car and again a week before I sold it, “if the car is sold privately, the free sc will transfer.” So since I sold it privately, I was certain the free sc would transfer to the new owner. That being the case, the buyer still knew there was a chance the free sc wouldn’t stick because it has happened.
I’ve made several calls to my contact (member of the operations team) at Tesla but haven’t heard back yet. The conversation about the free sc was less than 2 weeks ago so I’m sure she’ll remember. I simply want the free sc reinstated or she can direct me to someone who can do it. I’m not sure how this will play out so worse case, I offered to pay his SC for a year OR some cash back. Not much else I can do 😕

The transfer of ‘Free Unlimited SC’ in a private sale was the title of my thread and whether or not it would transfer was discussed often. I’d like to provide an update especially for those looking to buy a used Tesla that currently has free unlimited sc.. Unfortunately, in my recent sale, the free sc did NOT transfer to the new owner.
After ownership was transferred from me to the buyer on the Tesla website, the free sc basically vanished. It’s very frustrating considering I was told when I purchased the car and again a week before I sold it, “if the car is sold privately, the free sc will transfer.” So since I sold it privately, I was certain the free sc would transfer to the new owner. That being the case, the buyer still knew there was a chance the free sc wouldn’t stick because it has happened.
I’ve made several calls to my contact (member of the operations team) at Tesla but haven’t heard back yet. The conversation about the free sc was less than 2 weeks ago so I’m sure she’ll remember. I simply want the free sc reinstated or she can direct me to someone who can do it. I’m not sure how this will play out so worse case, I offered to pay his SC for a year OR some cash back. Not much else I can do 😕
I wonder if this has to do with you buying the car 10/19 from Tesla? In theory, the SC should transfer to the next owner for the 2016 unless the car goes through Tesla. My guess is that the car was went through Tesla, but they offered you limited (you as the owner) FUSC. Either way, that's too bad :(

I wonder if this has to do with you buying the car 10/19 from Tesla? In theory, the SC should transfer to the next owner for the 2016 unless the car goes through Tesla. My guess is that the car was went through Tesla, but they offered you limited (you as the owner) FUSC. Either way, that's too bad :(
I seem to recall the FUSC was for all cars sold CPO through 2018. Bought mine in Oct 18, have SC01 code.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Idk I was told on the 5th of March that the free sc would transfer if I sold the car privately. Definitely super annoying especially when you can’t get someone on the phone ughh

I seem to recall the FUSC was for all cars sold CPO through 2018. Bought mine in Oct 18, have SC01 code.

Idk I was told on the 5th of March that the free sc would transfer if I sold the car privately. Definitely super annoying...

yeah, your guess is as good as mine. I'm just piecing bits together as well. For all we know there's an options gnome sitting in the SC removing options from people's cars

During your purchase the car was assigned "SC05 Free Supercharging". SC01 is the transferrable version so it isn't surprising that it didn't transfer.

You can look up your codes by checking https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/index.php# and doing "option code lookup" for your VIN.
Which explains the codes.

Sucks that it happened...

Oh I see you were on that thread where we recently discussed that. Anyway glad you are making it as right as you can by the buyer. Kudo's to you!

During your purchase the car was assigned "SC05 Free Supercharging". SC01 is the transferrable version so it isn't surprising that it didn't transfer.

You can look up your codes by checking https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/index.php# and doing "option code lookup" for your VIN.

Ughh thanks 🙈, i got it now. I guess the.Tesla team member I spoke to needs to study the codes

Oh I see you were on that thread where we recently discussed that. Anyway glad you are making it as right as you can by the buyer. Kudo's to you!
As I ninja edited above, at least you are working to make it right to the buyer. I applaud you for thats

the title of my listing “free unlimited sc for life’
As I ninja edited above, at least you are working to make it right to the buyer. I applaud you for that.
I feel bad about it so I’m trying to do the right.
As I ninja edited above, at least you are working to make it right to the buyer. I applaud you for that.
Thanks, I feel bad about it so I want to be fair. I will admit, he g
thanks, I feel bad about it so I want to do the right thing..... He did get a really nice car. It looks and drives great.

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne
Just read through all of this as I was semi interested. I feel this vehicle was very misleading overall.
Seller claimed mcu2 upgrade may be free, we all know it's not. Advertised free sc in the title without confirming. And has sidemarkers with cameras making the car look like updated ap...

i almost bought this car from op and I did not get the feeling he was dishonest as all. he told me, on the phone, that the car was AP1 with camera covers.

i almost bought this car from op and I did not get the feeling he was dishonest as all. he told me, on the phone, that the car was AP1 with camera covers.

I spoke to him as well as I was very serious about the car, but once identified it's a SC05 code via ev-cpo it wasn't going to workout and we discussed. He was great guy to talk too and very direct in sharing information.

Just read through all of this as I was semi interested. I feel this vehicle was very misleading overall.
Seller claimed mcu2 upgrade may be free, we all know it's not. Advertised free sc in the title without confirming. And has sidemarkers with cameras making the car look like updated ap...
LMAO are you serious ? If you read the entire thread, then you wouldn't be talking sh**. I was transparent from the start..

I didn't say mcu2 is free. I said: "I was told that Tesla will upgrade to MCU2 for no charge as part of the recall. I am not sure though." This was incorrect but it wasn't misleading since I said I wasn't sure.
Sidemarkers with cameras lol ? So you're saying I did it so potential buyers would think my car had AP2 ? If you read it, you would have seen I said it has AP1 right from the start. The AP1 side moldings look pretty ugly and it took me 2 min to change them.

Also, I didn't advertise free sc without confirming. I advertised free sc after confirming even though I was told at time of purchase that the free sc would transfer in a private sale. This unfortunately was false. Prior to listing for sale, I spoke to a member of the operations team who confirmed the free sc would transfer only if I sold the car privately. So I advertised the car with free sc;.... the buyer picks up the car..... he goes to a sc and the free sc disappeared..... the buyer calls to tell me there's no free sc.... WTF.... so I call a bunch of times and leave voicemails for the team member who told me the free sc would transfer, A Tesla advisor finally calls me back 2 days later. She tells me Tesla recently tightened up their policy with the cars with free sc. She tells me the transfer of free sc is no longer possible. Even in private sales, she explains the free sc will NOT transfer to a new owner. I told her that an operations team member told me only a week earlier that my free sc will transfer. I tell her I sold my car privately and the new owner was told the car has free sc. She apologized and said the team member I spoke to got it wrong (or wasn't aware) and the transfer of free sc is no longer possible. This policy doesn't make sense so I don't know if it will stick. That's what I was told. The advisor said it's okay to give the buyer her name and number which I did so he can call as well.
So yes this was a bit of a problem so I offered the buyer some cash back OR I offered to pay his sc for a year.
Not only did I do the right thing by the buyer, I came back here to explain what happened.

Last edited:
LMAO are you serious ? If you read the entire thread, then you wouldn't be talking sh**. I was transparent from the start..

I didn't say mcu2 is free. I said: "I was told that Tesla will upgrade to MCU2 for no charge as part of the recall. I am not sure though." This was incorrect but it wasn't misleading since I said I wasn't sure.
Sidemarkers with cameras lol ? So you're saying I did it so potential buyers would think my car had AP2 ? If you read it, you would have seen I said it has AP1 right from the start. The AP1 side moldings look pretty ugly and it took me 2 min to change them.

Also, I didn't advertise free sc without confirming. I advertised free sc after confirming even though I was told at time of purchase that the free sc would transfer in a private sale. This unfortunately was false. Prior to listing for sale, I spoke to a member of the operations team who confirmed the free sc would transfer only if I sold the car privately. So I advertised the car with free sc;.... the buyer picks up the car..... he goes to a sc and the free sc disappeared..... the buyer calls to tell me there's no free sc.... WTF.... so I call a bunch of times and leave voicemails for the team member who told me the free sc would transfer, A Tesla advisor finally calls me back 2 days later. She tells me Tesla recently tightened up their policy with the cars with free sc. She tells me the transfer of free sc is no longer possible. Even in private sales, she explains the free sc will NOT transfer to a new owner. I told her that an operations team member told me only a week earlier that my free sc will transfer. I tell her I sold my car privately and the new owner was told the car has free sc. She apologized and said the team member I spoke to got it wrong (or wasn't aware) and the transfer of free sc is no longer possible. This policy doesn't make sense so I don't know if it will stick. That's what I was told. The advisor said it's okay to give the buyer her name and number which I did so he can call as well.
So yes this was a bit of a problem so I offered the buyer some cash back OR I offered to pay his sc for a year.
Not only did I do the right thing by the buyer, I came back here to explain what happened.
Yeah man don’t worry you were 100% transparent no shady vibes at all. Beautiful car, glad it sold quickly for you. Would have loved to get it if it had AP2+