Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017-2020 Model 3 recalled for trunk/rear camera issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Model 3 that is subject to the recall. I received a call from Tesla about 8 months ago asking me if I could take my car to a Supercharger location where they were holding a repair clinic especially for the harness recall. I declined because the location was a 5 hour drive round trip. I was told I would receive a call from the service center, which I never did. I recently scheduled an appointment at the service centre so it could be addressed along with a couple other minor warranty repairs.

At first, I was told my car was not subject to the recall even though a search on the Tesla website indicates my VIN is included.

I was then told the recall could not be completed because I have an aftermarket power trunk kit installed on my vehicle. They actually noticed on my service order that the warranty on the trunk harness is now void.

I have two issues with this. First, this is a safety recall not a warranty request. In Canada anyway, I’m under the understanding that a safety recall must be completed regardless of the vehicle condition (for instance, a “rebuilt” salvage vehicle must be fixed under a recall even though there is no factory warranty). Second, even if it was a warranty repair, any denial of warranty coverage would have to show that the aftermarket component was the cause of the failure.

Tesla seems to choose the oddest things to battle. They didn’t blink an eye replacing both my headlights because they had water stains on the inside of the lenses, but denied a 5 minute, $5 recall repair.

I politely insisted, even offering to pay for the part. After speaking with a manager they gave me a “goodwill” reinforcement grommet. The Tesla service instructions are available online, the the repair took me less than five minutes. It included checking the color of the camera wire, and if solid black (mine was), zip-tying the reinforcement grommet to the bend of the harness.

Given the simplicity of the repair, Tesla’s reaction was perplexing.
I completely agree. I 3D printed a part some kind owner put on thingiverse that restricts the bend radius of the harness. I also have the all black cable.

I’m still waiting after 1 plus years to be notified when it’s available.

Given the part I’ve made I’m not especially concerned, but it’s annoying and ridiculous.

Reactions: notsure11
Tesla's service database lost track of some cars in this recall. So you have to request this repair and offer to forward the recall notification email.

It's a big company. Different service reps may reach different conclusions on whether to accept or deny warranty repairs. They should not deny recall repairs. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, try another service center or another day, maybe after lunch when people are statistically more agreeable.

One was willing to fix the side camera glare for free?

I went ahead and scheduled a mobile service for the harness recall again. This time they sent me an estimate ($0), and it looks like they will be coming this week to do the recall repair. I’ll ask if they can replace the side cameras, although I’m doubtful since my M3 has been out of warranty. I did buy Enhanced Auto Pilot though.

Reactions: ewoodrick
I was then told the recall could not be completed because I have an aftermarket power trunk kit installed on my vehicle. They actually noticed on my service order that the warranty on the trunk harness is now void.
This is so ridiculous! A recall is a recall, not a warranty repair. And even if it was a warranty repair, they would have to prove the aftermarket part caused the issue, it's the law.

More and more Tesla is losing my faith in them.

The guy replaced the cable, but he broke off a bunch of clips holding the trunk lid plastic interior, which he didn’t replace. So now the trunk lid plastic interior is loose.

0331E14C-6D10-43C6-80CA-BB15F88E6703.jpeg
F8532007-4EB9-4AA7-ADE5-109C6683CE08.jpeg

Tesla's service database lost track of some cars in this recall. So you have to request this repair and offer to forward the recall notification email.

It's a big company. Different service reps may reach different conclusions on whether to accept or deny warranty repairs. They should not deny recall repairs. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, try another service center or another day, maybe after lunch when people are statistically more agreeable.

One was willing to fix the side camera glare for free?
I forwarded a recall search from the Tesla website twice showing my VIN has the open recall, but that didn’t help. Unfortunately, I had another bad service experience today. I was a following up on the last visit where they also didn’t resolve a creaking from the front end. Turned out to be a failed upper control arm bushings, which they denied warranty repair because they noted a “film and the way dirt /debris had accumulated on certain components “. I live in Canada where tonnes of road salt/sand/crusher dust is used on the wintery roads. My car only has 49000 kilometres and still under full factory warranty. I am currently very unimpressed with Tesla. Up until now, I’ve always had good service.

The guy replaced the cable, but he broke off a bunch of clips holding the trunk lid plastic interior, which he didn’t replace. So now the trunk lid plastic interior is loose.

View attachment 923323View attachment 923324
Just go order some via Amazon or wherever. They’re minimal cost and it’s good to have some on hand as removing virtually any panel on the car causes one or two to break.

Maybe he ran out of them? They’re readily available at any local car part supply place or order online. It’s not a big deal.
Who shows up to a job without all the parts needed?! And while yes they can be purchased locally, the customer shouldn't have to be the one buying them, the installer broke them, so the installer should be buying them! So yeah, it is a big deal when a customer has to pay for parts he didn't break.