Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.3.f3425a1 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain why the need for a neural net for rain-sensing wipers? I don't understand. Seems like an overengineering feat to me?
The alternative would’ve been to add a rain sensor which they removed from AP2. I presume a couple bucks times the volume of AP2 cars adds up, or they didn’t want to deal with the extra footprint or wiring that such a sensor needs.

Corporate greed combined with the “eh we can solve anything with a neural net” sentiment probably explains it.

Reactions: Swift
Can someone explain why the need for a neural net for rain-sensing wipers? I don't understand. Seems like an overengineering feat to me?
Since they're not using rain sensors, the input data is purely what comes from the camera(s). Interpreting what's coming in on the camera on the fly and using an algorithm in software to determine what is rain and how much rain there is and how much wiping to do requires processing power. Creating a neural net that has all that algorithm worked out in advance is much much much more complex and requires far more computing power, however, running the neural network after it has been generated uses a LOT less CPU power than running an algorithm on the fly which means the CPU power in the car is never taxed by this apparently simple task.

Since they're not using rain sensors, the input data is purely what comes from the camera(s). Interpreting what's coming in on the camera on the fly and using an algorithm in software to determine what is rain and how much rain there is and how much wiping to do requires processing power. Creating a neural net that has all that algorithm worked out in advance is much much much more complex and requires far more computing power, however, running the neural network after it has been generated uses a LOT less CPU power than running an algorithm on the fly which means the CPU power in the car is never taxed by this apparently simple task.
i think his question is, why aren't they using rain sensors?

The alternative would’ve been to add a rain sensor which they removed from AP2. I presume a couple bucks times the volume of AP2 cars adds up, or they didn’t want to deal with the extra footprint or wiring that such a sensor needs.

Corporate greed combined with the “eh we can solve anything with a neural net” sentiment probably explains it.

It is probably overconfidence, maybe arrogance rather than greed. If Elon was greedy, he would not have risked it all to start Tesla and would just take his few hundred million and go retire on a private island.

It is -20C here in Toronto so I won't be using rain sensing wipers for a bit, unless it works equal well for snow and road salt spray. Not counting on that for the beta release yet.

Yippee!
Got the update notification about 15 minutes ago! I assume it’s 50.3 since I already have 50.2
96EFC975-8C0F-4287-AA0B-4E5502F15C20.jpeg

I don't get it. What's with the fascination of rain sensing wiper. They can put their resources on things that are way cooler and better, this is a number 1 requested feature? Really? Is this something to make the people who upgraded from AP1 or AP2 happy?

I don't get it. What's with the fascination of rain sensing wiper. They can put their resources on things that are way cooler and better, this is a number 1 requested feature? Really? Is this something to make the people who upgraded from AP1 or AP2 happy?
It's the first sign of progress in an otherwise wasteland in terms of promised features in a long time.

It's not the rain sensing. It's that Tesla is finally delivering on something that should have come with the car and was promised a long time ago. It also shows that they are making progress with their neural network development to meet their vision needs.

This is not a new feature like “Easy Entry”
It was a standard feature I expected and was looking forward to here in the northwest that was missing when I took delivery in June. Many promises it was coming soon and rumors that it may never come.

It's the first sign of progress in an otherwise wasteland in terms of promised features in a long time.
It’s also the first sign that the AP2 ECU can handle more than 2 camera feeds or do more than just lane keeping and adaptive cruise control.

Plus it’s not like they’ve not been making other progress lately. We see a lot of evidence of mapping efforts and repeater cameras coming online too. It’s rarely true that delivering one feature has to come at the expense of getting something else done.

Makes the most sense. So basically sounds like a simple neural net that has done all the processing, and then spits back the answers to the car. Probably learns more as we go along, I take it?

My question was really the technicality of why it seems like the whole system has been over-engineered. Has nothing to do with a rain sensor or anything like that... You guys are entitled to your own opinions, but I am trying to figure out how/why they did it this way.