Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.3.f3425a1 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn’t go as far as to say it’s an industry first. I know BMWs have had it since at least 2006. But is the Tesla version better? Probably.

All other manufacturers, AFAIK, use a dedicated rain sensor that looks at light reflected back off the windshield, and, based on different refractive properties when water drops are on the windshield, detects rain directly.

This is the first time ever that a manufacturer has used AI (looking at a camera image) and determining whether or not it’s raining.

Way more difficult problem to solve than a dedicated sensor, but if they can tweak it to work well it means less hardware (lower cost) and higher reliability (less things to break).

People are finally getting over their hangovers and/or the rollout is speeding up! :D We have five on TeslaFi and on Ev-fw.com.

Wonder where the TeslaFi emails are...

@HankLloydRight are we doing ev-fw.com releases in numerical order or chrono? :) (Serious question, I don’t think we’ve had one out of sequence like 48.15 before....)

The TeslaFi emails have gone out now by the looks of it. I suspect it's an hourly cron.

Reactions: boaterva
Long awaited upgrade
20180101_125646.jpg

This. is. so. huge.

Elon tweeted 'Coming very soon' on Dec 27. Nicely done

He tweeted it was coming on February 8th, 2017 too. Why is this a good job by him? We get to ignore all the times he said it was coming when that was false?

If Elon tweets "self driving next week!" every week for 167 weeks, do we give him credit for being accurate in the last week?

I don't get the hype around this. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion but is it really all that useful? Coming from my 2014 Audi S6 which had prefect auto rain sensing, to the point that I never thought about it to an AP2 X with no rain sensing I haven't found it that inconvenient.

I had an AP1 loaner and it was so bad I just turned it off.
Likewise. I came from your A6 stablemate which has fantastic auto wipers. The AP1 implementation sucked in comparison and I actually like the manual wipers on AP2.

But with that said for me the excitement is more that this is the first new use of AP2’s sensor suite / new user visible neural net application. And a symbol of AP2’s questionable promises that’s many thought would not be kept.

Reactions: NewTMSMan and WillK