Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took delivery of a 2017 Model X in CA. The front license plate holder was drilled into the front bumper and I was told it was installed using adhesive. I figured I would just remove it after taking delivery but now I'm finding out I have 3 holes in my front bumper. Body shops are giving quotes of $400-750 to fix this. All I got from the DS was, "Sorry, the factory must have changed the mounting." Pretty much what I expected as the DS has been relatively useless throughout the entire ordering process.

Are others getting 2017 deliveries defaulting to installed plates from the factory?

image1.JPG IMG_1175.JPG

I thought all new S/X are shipped with front license plate bracket installed (...something about crash testing). The refreshed S bracket is (?was) attached with tape and bolts on the underside. Wonder if Tesla made a production change?

This must be a change from the holes on the bottom. BumperPlugs.com plugs were what I used for a Porsche and I was very happy with them. Color match was good and they don't look much different than the sensors. Cost was arounf $25 I think so you could try them before going for a more costly option.

Reactions: candersoh
Go to this site and order a plug for the holes. It is the next best thing to painting the bumper! ;)

Bumper Plugs

That's what I'm contemplating. A local shop also proposed they can buy the plugs/clips from auto supply and paint them to match for ~$30. It still bothers me that Tesla drills into the bumper on such an expensive car. I haven't had this issue on previous BMWs and other luxury cars I've ordered/purchased in the past.

That's what I'm contemplating. A local shop also proposed they can buy the plugs/clips from auto supply and paint them to match for ~$30. It still bothers me that Tesla drills into the bumper on such an expensive car. I haven't had this issue on previous BMWs and other luxury cars I've ordered/purchased in the past.
My $115k Porsche had the holes but BumperPlugs solved the issue. I guess I should grateful the S I bought last month had the tape and bolts underneath although the bizarre fastener heads were a bear to get off as several threads here document.

I recently took delivery of a 2017 Model X in CA. The front license plate holder was drilled into the front bumper and I was told it was installed using adhesive. I figured I would just remove it after taking delivery but now I'm finding out I have 3 holes in my front bumper. Body shops are giving quotes of $400-750 to fix this. All I got from the DS was, "Sorry, the factory must have changed the mounting." Pretty much what I expected as the DS has been relatively useless throughout the entire ordering process.

Are others getting 2017 deliveries defaulting to installed plates from the factory?

View attachment 209989 View attachment 209990
I received my Model X P100 on Dec 19 so technically a 2016 but without the plate mounted.

I think an untrained technician at the service center did that. Far as I know, there should be no reason the plate bracket needs holes drilled. The hardware is under the lip and uses double sided adhesive to attach to the bumper face. I don't think I've seen any X's coming from the factory with the bracket installed, just thrown in the trunk. So when it got to the service center, instead of installing it properly with the adhesive and existing hardware, someone drilled holes. I could be wrong, but my theory anyway.

It's my understanding that the new Model-S facia uses a front license holder with adhesive (no holes required).
However, the Model-X still uses screws, but it leaves factory without it installed. It's up to individual SC to install (if requested), but most SC wait until delivery and ask the customer if they want it installed.

• Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
It's my understanding that the new Model-S facia uses a front license holder with adhesive (no holes required).
However, the Model-X still uses screws, but it leaves factory without it installed. It's up to individual SC to install (if requested), but most SC wait until delivery and ask the customer if they want it installed.

This is what I believe to be true. DS is not offering to do anything -- which is frustrating. I guess I'm supposed to accept an "I'm sorry" and move on with life.

I'm going to end up with bumper plugs and I'll probably just learn to live with it. But it is disappointing.

Did a factory pickup late Dec, and inquired with DS whether the brackets would be mounted in the front. I was going to request they don't install it, but I was told then that they just came in the frunk. I bet it's your SC who did it... and they probably meant well.

I see the OP is from SoCal. I no longer live in California but when I did I'm sure I was required to have a front plate. If that's the legal requirement, why should't a California dealer drill the holes? I realize some people ignore laws as I did twenty years ago when I had "illegal" extra dark side window tint and got a fix-it ticket from a CHIP very soon after the install. Doesn't this happen re missing front plates?

I see the OP is from SoCal. I no longer live in California but when I did I'm sure I was required to have a front plate. If that's the legal requirement, why should't a California dealer drill the holes? I realize some people ignore laws as I did twenty years ago when I had "illegal" extra dark side window tint and got a fix-it ticket from a CHIP very soon after the install. Doesn't this happen re missing front plates?

Yes, it's technically the law to have front plates, but it is not very well-enforced. To the point, you can often tell the dealer (or they will ask) not to put the front plate holder on. Sometimes you even have to sign something saying you take responsibility so don't hold the dealership responsible.

I see the OP is from SoCal. I no longer live in California but when I did I'm sure I was required to have a front plate. If that's the legal requirement, why shouldn't a California dealer drill the holes? I realize some people ignore laws as I did twenty years ago when I had "illegal" extra dark side window tint and got a fix-it ticket from a CHIP very soon after the install. Doesn't this happen re missing front plates?
Why? Because there are after-market front plate holders for the X that doesn't require drilling into the bumper. Check out "the Law".