Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit confused with the Tsla and the Panasonic earning call. Panasonic said that cell production was a bottle neck at GF1.
So are both cell production and pack production bottlenecks?

Hopefully it’s just pack production. I trust EM and team to address the issue more effectively and quicker than any other company on earth.

Was getting impatient for my M3 so test drove the MX. It’s an awesome car. Would have upgraded if the stock moved the other way after earning.

Good summary on the quarter results from one of my favorite YouTube channels:

Love this guy... To summarize, focus on what's actually been accomplished and forecast based on that. You will be happy with what you come up with. You can't make your investing choices based on what Elon says, because reality cannot keep up Elon. But in reality, there has been amazing and undeniable execution over the years and you wouldn't know it reading the fud today.

Bit confused with the Tsla and the Panasonic earning call. Panasonic said that cell production was a bottle neck at GF1.

Hopefully it’s just pack production. I trust EM and team to address the issue more effectively and quicker than any other company on earth.

Was getting impatient for my M3 so test drove the MX. It’s an awesome car. Would have upgraded if the stock moved the other way after earning.

MX > MS though both are pretty awesome. I don't have any issue with the fwd, would probably appreciate them more if I had a 7 seater.

Good summary on the quarter results from one of my favorite YouTube channels:

what's he complaining about?... does he want the share price higher?... if he thinks it's all going to work out... great, whatever... if he's talking about the stock... well, then, let's talk about the $50b market cap.

maybe what he doesn't understand is that ***IF*** Tesla finally does become the size of BMW in the year 2024... the share price will be... drumroll... $300.

also... the skepticism is relative when weighted against ideas like "Tesla is literally going to save the planet"

Please sign: Plug In America
Help stop Congress from trying to kill the electric car! Just this morning, Chairman Brady of the House Ways and Means Committee introduced the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, H.R.1. The bill calls for the repeal of the $7,500 federal electric vehicle (EV) tax credit

I'd support the elimination of the EV tax credit if all fossil fuel industry subsidies were simultaneously eliminated.

My understanding is that Panasonic didn't say cell production was the bottleneck, they said that the bottleneck is getting fixed so soon Panasonic can start ramping up the cell production. The interpretation is that the bottleneck prevented Tesla from making modules as quickly as they wanted, so they were not taking as many cells as they originally planned, so Panasonic had to throttle back on cell production to match. Now that Tesla can start making more modules soon, the demand for cell will go up.

Love this guy... To summarize, focus on what's actually been accomplished and forecast based on that. You will be happy with what you come up with. You can't make your investing choices based on what Elon says, because reality cannot keep up Elon. But in reality, there has been amazing and undeniable execution over the years and you wouldn't know it reading the fud today.

Love his enthusiasm and share his emotions about the bad press since inception. There is an industry out there that wants Tesla to fail so badly - they can almost taste it .... and BTW he is right with all what he listed.

Last night and today really brought out the FUDsters, trolls, and one self promoter.

I have not seen this level of anger directed at a company since Apple of the mid/late 90’s. Back then, everyone from Michael Dell to random trolls on Anandtech and Usenet were rooting for Apple to die.

I know from experience and psychology that many people crave hierarchy, and that threats to hierarchy and existing authorities can trigger an enraged response. Steve Jobs thumbed his nose at existing dominant forces in PCs, music, phones, and more. I can recall countless times when people said Jobs was full of s~#% and that Apple must die against Wintel. That they could never crack the music industry. That phones were a low margin product in a crowded field. Against all odds and conventional wisdom, Apple’s collapse didn’t happen. This isn’t to say that Tesla’s success is guaranteed. Nothing is ever guaranteed. But the chance they could somehow succeed hasn’t diminished, and that should scare the living daylights out of anyone betting against the company.

Brian,
You have been on both side of the trade on TSLA. Do you agree with the 70 to 80% growth expectation? If so, what multiple on revenue would you put? Say, fair market cap value of 7 to 8x the revenue?

I've already exceeded by "dislike" allotment for all 2017, but assuming I can borrow short against my 2018 "dislike" allotment, I'll try to answer:

It wasn't a growth "expectation." It was Ahuja mis-remembering historical growth "And our growth rate, I don't recall the exact numbers, but I think it's been in the 70%, 80% every year." It's unclear which metric he is referring to, but most likely either car deliveries or Revenue. (Personally, I think Net Income and Free Cash Flow are the far more critical and determinative measures, but alas both have been growing in the negative direction--primarily because Tesla has achieved delivery and Revenue growth by expanding geographically to ever thinner, ever more remote, and ever more expensive (for SG&A) markets, i.e. Mexico, Portugal, UAE, South Korea, Malaysia(?) etc.--will Taiwan be next? But I digress. I think the only meaningful starting point for calculating, growth regardless of metric, should be 2013, when Tesla first achieved its planned production rate. My record keeping shows:
YEAR / Deliveries ANNUAL % GROWTH CAGR%REVENUE $MM ANNUAL % GROWTH CAGR%
2013 / 22,442 NA NA$2013.5 NA NA
2014 / 31,655 41% 41%$3,198.5 59% 59%
2015 / 50,866 60% 50%$4,046.0 26% 41.6%
2016 / 76,233 50% 51%$7,000.1 73% 51.8%
2017 / 100,00(e) 31% 45%$11,295 61% 53.4%

The 2016 & estimated 2017 Revenue "growth" percentages are distorted by the SCTY bailout.

Will you be a buyer at this stage? What is your take on the ER and CC? Thanks

I'm perennially both a buyer and a seller with Buffet's "instruments of mass (financial) destruction" , aka a gambler in Tesla's momo shares/options for entertainment. (FWIW, I'm selling OTM puts further from the share price and OTM calls closer to the share price, but adjust daily based on news.)

IMO, the ER and CC demonstrate Tesla's challenges and the lack of depth of Tesla's bench. Its 2 top executives (the CEO & CTO) are thrown full-time into the breech to solve issues that should have been avoided; but in any event, been delegated to lower level executives. The future is now here--Tesla must execute profitably on the M3. My current sentiment is negative, but I'll adjust as new filings or credible news disclose Tesla's progress.

FIRE AWAY!

what's he complaining about?... does he want the share price higher?... if he thinks it's all going to work out... great, whatever... if he's talking about the stock... well, then, let's talk about the $50b market cap.

maybe what he doesn't understand is that ***IF*** Tesla finally does become the size of BMW in the year 2024... the share price will be... drumroll... $300.

also... the skepticism is relative when weighted against ideas like "Tesla is literally going to save the planet"

TSLA Market Cap: 50B
BMW Market Cap: 50B

TSLA Revenue Q3: 2.8B (+120% compared to last year)
BWM Revenue Q3: 28.4B (+0.4% compared to last year)

What's the difference?

If Tesla were to sell 500.000 M3s a year that would bring their revenues to the same level as BMW today (ASP of 40k$ = 20B)

They are currently producing less than 1000 cars a week with production stalling. They need 10k a week to get to 500.000k a year. They plan on reaching 5000 "soon".

I don't care if we miss quarterly targets. I don't care if we are 1 year late. Tesla won't stop once they reach M3 production.

In 2024 BMW will be in the rear view mirrors.

And this is not considering Energy or autonomous driving at all.

Was saving some cash for this pullback. I'm looking at buying more below 300 if I can.

Last edited:
No. You can summarize here. Life's too short to read crap. I only read crap from Montana skeptic because his style is entertaining but lately he's been regurgitating other people's crap. I might have to totally start avoiding bear articles until someone new blood shows up. These dedicated Tesla bashers are getting old.

Last night and today really brought out the FUDsters, trolls, and one self promoter.

I have not seen this level of anger directed at a company since Apple of the mid/late 90’s. Back then, everyone from Michael Dell to random trolls on Anandtech and Usenet were rooting for Apple to die.

I know from experience and psychology that many people crave hierarchy, and that threats to hierarchy and existing authorities can trigger an enraged response. Steve Jobs thumbed his nose at existing dominant forces in PCs, music, phones, and more. I can recall countless times when people said Jobs was full of s~#% and that Apple must die against Wintel. That they could never crack the music industry. That phones were a low margin product in a crowded field. Against all odds and conventional wisdom, Apple’s collapse didn’t happen. This isn’t to say that Tesla’s success is guaranteed. Nothing is ever guaranteed. But the chance they could somehow succeed hasn’t diminished, and that should scare the living daylights out of anyone betting against the company.
lucky for you... none of the companies that have been compared to apple have failed... and all have succeeded to become the next apple.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: neroden and Matias

TSLA Revenue: 2.8B (+120% compared to last year)
BWM Sales: 28.4B (+0.4% compared to last year)

What's the difference?

If Tesla were to sell 500.000 M3s a year that would bring their revenues to the same level as BMW today (ASP of 40k$ = 20B)

They are currently producing less than 1000 cars a week with production stalling. They need 10k a week to get to 500.000k a year. They plan on reaching 5000 "soon".

I don't care if we miss quarterly targets. I don't care if we are 1 year late. Tesla won't stop once they reach M3 production.

Was saving some cash for this pullback. I'm looking at buying more below 300 if I can.

are you suggesting that BMW has $20b in revenues?... please go check yourself.

What's the difference?

I'm not following your math. I think you are comparing a quarterly number (28.4B) to an annual number (20B).

BMW sells on the order of 2.5 million vehicles a year.

• Helpful
Reactions: STARR X

What's the difference?

I saw that post you just deleted...

"If Tesla were to sell 500.000 M3s a year that would bring their revenues to the same level as BMW today (ASP of 40k$ = 20B)"

I believe you are comparing one quarter of BMW sales to what Tesla's size would be w/ 500k M3s...

try again... BMW's annual revenue is $113B (extrapolated from this quarter)

that's 2.85 million M3s w/ your $40k ASP... TWO POINT EIGHT FIVE MILLION CARS.

when do you think they'll touch that number?... 2025?... but of course... that means they'll need to simply move BMW out of the way as you suggested.

"What's the difference?"

BMW today is a massive established auto company that makes BILLIONS in profits while paying for their own R&D... Tesla is a one factory 100k/yr company that just burnt $1.4B trying to scale.

that's the difference... the only thing they have in common is their market cap.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
are you suggesting that BMW has $20b in revenues?... please go check yourself.

Those are quarterly revenue values. Updated original post to make it clear.

With 500k cars TSLA will be in the same order of magnitude in terms of revenues (and almost in terms of deliveries) as BMW (and we are talking of a timeframe of 9-15 months).

The difference will be that one company is pushing 100% y/y growth and the most modern tech stack on the market while the other is flat and working on a fleet which is 90%+ old technology and will need to be decommissioned/transitioned.

How about I invest 100$ on TSLA and you put 100$ on BMW and we check in 10 years. Would you confidently take that bet? :) Not many people would and that's why the market cap is the same.

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.