Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Intl Professor, could you please discuss with Audie banning the two major TMC trolls?
I'd point out that the member option to ignore did not prevent a number of valued members from leaving TMC. Losing such members makes the forum less than it could and should be. Thanks.

Shared along with one other.

interesting presentation about the Semi from Jerome Guillen in NL

Quote: The Tesla Semi will carry the same cargo as a Diesel....!

So, here we go. It was speculated that the Batteries will "eat" the cargo given the weight of the Batteries. Tesla is now official making clear the Semi will have THE SAME Cargo as a Diesel Truck.

This is yet more evidence of a breakthrough in gravimetric energy density.

I am trying hard to rain in my optimism, but more and more signs seem to point this way.

Most of us live in a society that values free speech. We can't just say "Let's ban XYZ". On the other hand, it's highly incentivized for shorts to troll this board with large amount of FUD. We need a method to identify and ban this effort.
I suggest we ban those who meet the following conditions: 1. They received more than 500 negative votes and
2. They received more negative than positive votes by a factor of 2:1
They would be banned from posting in the two main threads, but they are allowed to start their own threads, so their voice still can be heard.

Making the simple (banning one or two trolls) this complex guarantees nothing will be done. Doug, Audie etc. know what's being posted, and how the majority feel it is detracting from the forum. Let them decide. Let's not over think banning one or two bad apples up to the point of paralysis.

One of the 'A' members may shoot me down on this, but I'm thinking we may see Model Y sooner than they have been letting on.
It will be on the same (by then) proven platform as M3. So all the production lines already worked out (soon) only need to be duplicated, not designed and programmed. Possibly at GF1. They will need a new assembly production line in a new factory dedicated to Y.
But again, that is customizing/adjusting production technology that's already been done for M3. I don't doubt they've already decided where to assemble it and are setting in place orders for long lead time pieces like the stampers.
Does anyone have a good guess as to the highest possible similarity of 3 &Y with enough difference of S and X? This could be key to how soon we can see Y?

.. Let's not over think banning one or two bad apples up to the point of paralysis.

I work with Air Traffic Control- Safety/Lesson disemination, and we have in the Safety business long since learned that going after bad apples never work. (ref. Sidney Dekker). Remove one "bad apple", and as long as it is humanly possible to do wrong again, someone else will sooner or later do the same error.

What needs to be done is fix the system, rules, safety nets and regulations, so that a human error dont have the same serious effect next time it happens.

On to our two domesticated bears:

Cant we have a mod ban them? Sure.. but then I am 100% certain, they or someone else pop up again in a short while and continue the "good" work they do. And we will spend a few weeks replying to more nonsense before we identify them as mmda og mysuernameses.

What we need is for the system to be fixed. The current ignore function has to be updated so that when someone is on ignore, replies to them are hidden. Then the fudsters, and those who choose to reply them, can carry on as they want, while the rest of us can live next to them in harmony. I want to be happy ignorant about the mud flinging going on, if and when I choose so.

Fix the system.. and let the bears do no harm.

Last edited:
My understanding is that only Doug can permanently ban someone. Best to take your issues to him directly IMO.

Edit: This is certainly just one person's opinion: I have no problem with 'myusername'. I don't usually agree with him. I don't even read 'mmd' posts anymore. Totally negative/FUD. I don't have anyone on 'ignore' but essentially I do ignore his posts. IMO, he brings nothing to the conversation.

The problem is that the replies to both of them detract from the forum in a substantial way!

The reason more people are asking for mmd to be banned is that mmd hardly ever argues anything.

Myusername writes things that I generally disagree with, but at least takes the effort to make a point and say the reason for their perspective. Myusername also doesn’t go to the Model S/X/3 subforums here and ask “questions” designed to raise doubt, or make smug comments about Tesla’s future like mmd does. For this reason I have zero issues with Myusername despite being in near complete disagreement with them on Tesla’s future prospects.

There is a very clear distinction IMO between a bearish trader who outlines the reasons for their position, and a bearish trader who is here simply to spread FUD via insinuating questions and sow ill will with occasional outbursts of bullying.

Cant we have a mod ban them? Sure.. but then I am 100% certain, they or someone else pop up again in a short while and continue the "good" work they do. And we will spend a few weeks replying to more nonsense before we identify them as mmda og mysuernameses.

I disagree. It's not hard to identify FUD promoters, we don't need to take the extra time to determine if they may or may not be returning trolls. If someone repeatedly posts easily debunked garbage or old arguments we've heard over and over again they get one warning and then they are gone. It could be that simple. I don't think there are other trolls waiting in the wings because they think mmd and mun are doing such a great job.

On to our two domesticated bears:
What we need is for the system to be fixed. The current ignore function has to be updated so that when someone is on ignore, replies to them are hidden. Then the fudsters, and those who choose to reply them, can carry on as they want, while the rest of us can live next to them in harmony. I want to be happy ignorant about the mud flinging going on, if and when I choose so.
Fix the system.. and let the bears do no harm.

Enhancing the Ignore feature would be ideal. It would take some programming, so we'll have to see if Dave, et al, are able to find someone willing to do it. I'm sure there are members who have the knowledge, and perhaps might step up to do it if no one running the site can find someone. Human nature being what it will, getting all members who don't have trolls on Ignore, to refrain from occasionally replying doesn't look to work. Else it would have already. If enhancing Ignore isn't possible, then ban them. That banning might not work is no reason not to try.

• Love
Reactions: Lessmog and Runarbt
Does anyone have a good guess as to the highest possible similarity of 3 &Y with enough difference of S and X? This could be key to how soon we can see Y?

Let´s fuel the speculation: What is this car - Y or facelift X? From Reddit

8tlfmgo1b6001.jpg

Let´s fuel the speculation: What is this car - Y or facelift X?

Initially I figured that must by the Y, but after viewing the other photos I think it's an X.

More photos (click for larger): Model x undercover.

It looks like an X because:
1) Same door handles as the X. Y would probably have Model 3 handles
2) You can faintly see the outline of the falcon wing doors on the roof

fLkelbN.jpg

After watching Jerome's video, it seems strange that no diesel semi provider thought to reduce the CD to anywhere near Tesla. Surely this small change would completely redefine the economics between the Tesla truck and Diesel.

Am i wrong to think that a Diesel truck with the same CD as Tesla would be competitive on cost?
Even with the same cD, diesel cannot compete in the long run.
37.95kWh in a gallon of diesel.
At $0.07/KWh, that is $2.66/diesel equivalent in energy cost. However, Diesel engines are about 45% efficient.
Diesel likely won’t get any cheaper over time, but solar likely will continue to get cheaper. At best diesel is almost equal now, but in 3+ years it won’t be able to equal.

Reactions: neroden and EinSV
One of the 'A' members may shoot me down on this, but I'm thinking we may see Model Y sooner than they have been letting on.
It will be on the same (by then) proven platform as M3. So all the production lines already worked out (soon) only need to be duplicated, not designed and programmed. Possibly at GF1. They will need a new assembly production line in a new factory dedicated to Y.
But again, that is customizing/adjusting production technology that's already been done for M3. I don't doubt they've already decided where to assemble it and are setting in place orders for long lead time pieces like the stampers.
I sincerely doubt the Model Y will even have its initial unveil until the Model 3 passes the 5,000 copies a week mark. Both the semi and Roadster are low volume. The Model Y will need to be high volume like the Model 3, so I don’t think they will stick their neck out until Model 3 production issues are ironed out.

Current semi manufacturers could certainly improve their aerodynamics for a small improvement in TCO, but they have to ask themselves if it would be enough to save their market share or just a waste of capital. In the same way, the ICE companies have been chasing the 2012 level of Tesla functionality in speed and range. They are just about to achieve that and bring it to market and now see that the goal posts have been moved. What do they do? They are so screwed!

Status
Not open for further replies.