Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What appeared would be a successful attempt by Warren Buffett to get Texas to allow vehicle manufacturers to also be their own retailers has been tabled due to Tea Party objections. Tesla may also have been allowed to sell directly to consumers in Texas, if this bill or a related one had become law.

Even in Texas, sometimes the billionaires lose

The bill could still be revived by May 29. If you are a Texan, I suggest writing your legislators.

Meanwhile, I suggest that Buffett sue Texas in federal court, just as Tesla is doing against Michigan.
The question is which billionaires lose sometimes? Not the oil billionaires.

CNBC is now promoting the Guardian article:

Tesla workers are passing out on the factory floor, according to a report

The Guardian article still contains quotes from Musk saying Tesla is overvalued in this 2013 interview as if he just said them now: Elon Musk on Tesla's stock price

From the Guardian:
"Musk also said that Tesla should not be compared to major US carmakers and that its market capitalization, now more than $50bn, is unwarranted. “I do believe this market cap is higher than we have any right to deserve,” he said, pointing out his company produces just 1% of GM’s total output."

Tesla factory workers reveal pain, injury and stress: 'Everything feels like the future but us'

I'm pretty sure both CNBC and the Guardian know exactly what they're doing and are working with the UAW. There's no way CNBC would be referencing an article without actually reading it and noticing it contains important, obvious lies that would harm tsla.

I'm skeptical of that claim, simply because it will take years to build up Gigafactories to handle the volume of production. Not just forcars, but busses, delivery trucks, maintenance vehicles, agricultural equipment, and big rigs too.

The transition from petroleum to electricity will take place, but at a more deliberate schedule IMO. I would change my mind if after the next 5-year cycle, automakers like Honda started transitioning their bread and butter cars like CR-V to fully electric platforms.
I am somewhat less skeptical.
for the last 4 years, (~48 months) every 2-3 months I have driven I-95 (interstate) to Jacksonville, Florida or Yulee Florida, Rt 200/301 to Interstate I-75 to Cape Coral/Naples Florida 12-16 trips. I have been startled by the auto parks of used and new --unsold-- vehicles
The unsold inventory of NEW vehicles is around 4 months economy seems to be slowing a bit, so what happens when unsold inventory goes to 5 months, 6 months, ?incentives? to just buy? rebates? freebies? layoffs? meanwhile literally every EV Tesla makes is presold with deposits, EV's by other manufacturers are selling fast, both used and new, specifically Leafs $6,500 for a 2-3 year old for a nice city car or car for a college kid or commuter. it's becoming more obvious to more folks You are living in the middle of a mini singularity. meanwhile, i gotta sell my 2003 chevy S10 ICE (parked in driveway and drives about 200 miles per year)

{Also, the commets on this page and last page are much more understandable and less "Schizo" when i temporarily "un-ignore ignored content", it was starting to get 'nutzoid' and i was wondering if i had been transported to Colorado for an inhaler vacation}

Last edited:
Is that guy for real. Why am I just finding this guy. If I need a laugh, this is pure gold. Its almost like the fake news guy from this last season of Homeland. Are you sure this isn't from show like Silicon Valley where they make fun of stuff like this?

Yes. And there are people who take it seriously. Many people in America have been left behind in the technological revolution, and they are very upset at the changes.

Reactions: Turing
I'm skeptical of that claim, simply because it will take years to build up Gigafactories to handle the volume of production. Not just forcars, but busses, delivery trucks, maintenance vehicles, agricultural equipment, and big rigs too.

The transition from petroleum to electricity will take place, but at a more deliberate schedule IMO. I would change my mind if after the next 5-year cycle, automakers like Honda started transitioning their bread and butter cars like CR-V to fully electric platforms.

While it is true that it will take a while to fully replace the fleet, the nearer term impact is likely to reduce the new car sales as people stretch their normal replacement cycles. It won't take that much of a drop off in new car sales, especially higher margin new cars sales to cause significant disruption well before the production capacity for BEVs has ramped "enough." What is worse is then to have to try to spend large amounts of capex as their main revenue streams starts to collapse.

It would be like having a large inventory of new Ford Explorer's during the 2008 financial crisis.

Being slightly late to the BEV industry is bad enough, but if you are a major automaker and you are off by 2-3 years in both BEVs and autonomous driving, well... better hope you are good with making really low margin vehicles and you don't have any inventory of ICE manually driven cars to have to liquidate.

Yes. And there are people who take it seriously. Many people in America have been left behind in the technological revolution, and they are very upset at the changes.

And unfortunately, there are people who get rich tapping into this sentiment and anger. Alex Jones who owns that media recently had his lawyers argue in a custody battle that his whole brand/persona was simply "performance art" with his brand delivering "humor" and "satire".

Status
Not open for further replies.