Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone please chime in.

Tomorrow's event is for a select group of investors with no press, no CC, no live feed. Is that correct?

Is management allowed to give material info to a small select group?

In what form are we expecting any news? A parallel press release?

I think press is invited and will report what is allowed.

Indeed, some from the press would have to be there to insure that fresh material information is not restricted to a select few investors. Perhaps TMC member Fred Lambert of Electrek can chime in on this.

Opening remarks are expected at 9:00 a.m. PST (Noon EST). Electrek article: Tesla CEO Elon Musk to participate in Q&A at a Gigafactory event for investors next week

Truly amazing that anyone can say Tesla missed anything. About 2750 vehicles were not counted because of transportation delays or because the customer couldn't physically take delivery (Was on vacation or away for the holidays?)

76,230 + 2750 = 78,980 (A whopping 1.3% below expectations) even with supplier delays and the major software update.

Also, 6450 vehicles were in transit to customers at the end of the quarter.

Last edited:
I do have concern about many of the inventory cars. Most of them are of AP1. I doubt anyone will still want those cars, and TESLA has to cut the price very much to get rid of them.
There are only 10 AP1 cars in the US shown today in ev-cpo, and all of them are demos. A different story in Europe where there are 400 and more than 300 have only delivery miles. There are more AP2 cars in inventory than AP1 cars.

I do have concern about many of the inventory cars. Most of them are of AP1. I doubt anyone will still want those cars, and TESLA has to cut the price very much to get rid of them.

Since I am staunchly anti-AP I would be perfectly happy with an AP1 if only to use the sensors to augment my situational awareness while driving. If only the timing were right for me to swap out my aging, pre-AP, pre-D, pre-parking sensors, 2013 Model S jalopy for a shiny inventory AP1 car.... timing ain't right though. Hopefully there are thousands of others like me drooling for an inventory AP1 car :) C'mon Tesla, make a great deal...

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
My guiding theory going into this is that since they were not (I think) aggressively discounting in Q4, they must not be scrambling to make the numbers. But they were never on pace to knock it out of the park, though they sort of came close except for delivery overhang.

Maybe this is the start of the "great relaxing"... Instead of treating the making of quarterly numbers as all-important, they are just going to let the results flow. No discounts. Less geographic batching micromanaging. No panicky "Please take delivery Dec 31" messages to customers. It had to happen someday.
I read it a different way. There was no point in offering big discounts because they were production constrained in the quarter. No point in discounting something you can't deliver. Also they worked manufacturing really hard over the Christmas holidays in order to get to the good production number even though they couldn't deliver those cars. So Tesla still does care about the quarterly numbers.

Edit: @dandurston beat me too it with the same conclusion

If you take that graph, and alter it so 3Q16 gives back much of what it took from 2Q16 due to production delays, and 4Q15 (which pulled a lot of demand levers forward from 1Q16), gives some to 1Q16, you end up with a pretty reasonable growth pattern.

For those who can do basic math, that's about 9 days at the Q4 exit rate we were targetting of 2400/wk. Pretty easy to see how a supplier goobering a shipment could cause 9 days worth of problem.

Tesla sells every car they produce - they guided to 80,000-90,000 cars at the start of the year, and people said they were crazy, that they wouldn't even get close.

They built 84k cars - right in the middle of their guidance, and delivered 76k cars to customers - with nearly 7k still en-route to be delivered in the next week or two. Is it a miss? Eh, sure, kind of. It really sucks that you can get hard data that the company is growing >50% YoY, and gets flogged for delivering 7k cars a week late and 'missing' their target that nobody thought was credible to begin with.

That's one way to look at the math, 9 days out of a year. Another way to look at it is that on Oct 26, with ~66 days left in the year including holidays, the issued a guidance, and 66 days later, they missed it by 9 days, and this is due to one piece on a mature product.

My main concern is how does this kind of delay translate to M3 ramp? The best case scenario is that all parts that will go into M3 are also proved out in MS/MX, but we simply don't know, the worst case could be that there will be multiple of these 9 days kind of delay, each could contribute to 10-15% schedule delay. In that case I can see Adam Jonas scenario becoming a reality.

BTW I'm fully long on TSLA, so if I'm so pessimistic on TSLA, it's probably time to buy.

Again, check the UK, Australia, and Hong Kong delivery threads for the Model X homologation delays. That's not a production problem.

Which they have every quarter, so this really is nothing new.
When the InsideEV numbers came out for Sept and then again for October, the chorus here was "but that is because all the cars and many of the 'in transit' vehicles from the previous quarter are for overseas dues to the shipping time frames etc".

My main concern is how does this kind of delay translate to M3 ramp? The best case scenario is that all parts that will go into M3 are also proved out in MS/MX, but we simply don't know, the worst case could be that there will be multiple of these 9 days kind of delay, each could contribute to 10-15% schedule delay. In that case I can see Adam Jonas scenario becoming a reality.

It depends on how much you take what a company says at face value about why they missed their numbers.

Clearly, the M3 will have more "new"/"unknown" things than a 4 year old MS (although has had updates) or a 1 year old MX and so will they take that much more time to work out all the issues before going live or will that Hubris guy be back on the job and think they got it.

Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
there will be multiple of these 9 days kind of delay, each could contribute to 10-15% schedule delay.
There may be multiple, but hopefully they will happen in parallel and not serially, and the total felay will be much shorter. I can only surmise that the analyst misread Tesla's guidance for new orders as applying to all reservations, cause his prediction is way off.

Based on the information we have, I see an extremely good quarter.

Think about it: last year at this time Tesla was working out its delivery guidance for 2016, as they are currently working on the same for 2017. While there are other inputs to this estimation (ie, product improvements that may be announced during the year to come) I doubt either year had a more important input than the current rate of net orders. So, when Tesla guided to 80-90K deliveries a year ago, they did so with a net order rate roughly 33% below the net order rate they are heavily drawing on right now to estimate 2017 deliveries. I know Q4 (some of it anyhow) was helped by the phasing out of free SuperCharging, but orders up 52% YOY, that's huge (hard to imagine it's mostly the free SuperCharging deadline).

Tomorrow and/or on the earnings called the analysts are likely to poke at this to see if this YOY figure is really as good it looks now. If it's real, hitting production but not quite getting those cars to customers? Big meh... fine quarter Tesla!

There were only 6,450 in transit at the end of this quarter.....there should have been over 8,000. Must have that many more inventory cars?

My take : they built new demo cars with AP2 functionality. But with EAP not ready at all, they couldn't aggressively sell out their old inventory like they did with pre-facelift cars last quarter. Because then they would be left with no way to show autopilot to buyers. That leaves many sales centers with both AP1 and AP2 demo cars. It also explains why there was relatively little discounting and hence why they fell short of their sales goals.

Based on the information we have, I see an extremely good quarter.

Think about it: last year at this time Tesla was working out its delivery guidance for 2016, as they are currently working on the same for 2017. !

Depends on how much you believe they are demand constrained vs. production constrained.
If you believe they are more production constrained, then you need to think about what they need to do to reduce that constraint while setting up to do several times more in volume for the M3.

• Disagree
Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid
Status
Not open for further replies.