Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla factory workers reveal pain, injury and stress: 'Everything feels like the future but us'

"Exclusive: CEO Elon Musk defends workplace, saying ‘[we are not] just greedy capitalists who skimp on safety’ – and declares his $50bn company overvalued"

The interview they're repeatedly sourcing in the article isn't an 'exclusive', it's actually from 2013. Tesla should sue The Guardian for claiming Elon just said the company is currently over-valued (specifying the company as being worth $50B confirms they're claiming he said it recently).

Tesla factory workers reveal pain, injury and stress: 'Everything feels like the future but us'

"Exclusive: CEO Elon Musk defends workplace, saying ‘[we are not] just greedy capitalists who skimp on safety’ – and declares his $50bn company overvalued"

The interview they're repeatedly sourcing in the article isn't an 'exclusive', it's actually from 2013. Tesla should sue The Guardian for claiming Elon just said the company is currently over-valued (specifying the company as being worth $50B confirms they're claiming he said it recently).
Even Elon Musk Has A Hard Time With Tesla's High Valuation: 'It's More Than We Have Any Right To Deserve'

wtf. Quoting that interview in the context of the article from today has to be illegal or a breach of some rule?

Even Elon Musk Has A Hard Time With Tesla's High Valuation: 'It's More Than We Have Any Right To Deserve'

wtf. Quoting that interview in the context of the article from today has to be illegal or a breach of some rule?

"Musk also said that Tesla should not be compared to major US carmakers and that its market capitalization, now more than $50bn, is unwarranted. “I do believe this market cap is higher than we have any right to deserve,” he said, pointing out his company produces just 1% of GM’s total output."

This is an attempt to hurt Tesla's stock price in my opinion. Tesla should protect their investors and sue.

"Musk also said that Tesla should not be compared to major US carmakers and that its market capitalization, now more than $50bn, is unwarranted. “I do believe this market cap is higher than we have any right to deserve,” he said, pointing out his company produces just 1% of GM’s total output."

This is an attempt to hurt Tesla's stock price in my opinion. Tesla should protect their investors and sue.

They should sue this author. She should be fired lol.

What appeared would be a successful attempt by Warren Buffett to get Texas to allow vehicle manufacturers to also be their own retailers has been tabled due to Tea Party objections. Tesla may also have been allowed to sell directly to consumers in Texas, if this bill or a related one had become law.

Even in Texas, sometimes the billionaires lose

The bill could still be revived by May 29. If you are a Texan, I suggest writing your legislators.

Meanwhile, I suggest that Buffett sue Texas in federal court, just as Tesla is doing against Michigan.

Should make for some interesting headlines

From the Wikipedia:

The Guardian is a British daily newspaper, known from 1821 until 1959 as the Manchester Guardian. Along with its sister papers The Observer and The Guardian Weekly, The Guardian is part of the Guardian Media Group, owned by The Scott Trust Limited. The Trust was created in 1936 "to secure the financial and editorial independence of The Guardian in perpetuity and to safeguard the journalistic freedom and liberal values of The Guardian free from commercial or political interference."

I've read quite a few articles with a pronounced anti-Tesla bias in the Guardian over time. My impression was that perhaps they are so absorbed with the notion of their "independence" that facts and journalistic integrity do not matter anymore, as long as they appear to be anti-[insert almost anything here], and therefore, "independent". I called it to myself a "dogma of independence". This article, however, is beyond any explanation, it just plainly falsifies the record.

I've been doing a lot of research/reading/educating myself over the last 48 hours on possible scenarios specifically on the Trump issue.

Keep in mind that anything can happen. There's an increased level of macro/political risk which may coincide with Model 3 issues etc.

Having said that, even though Tesla's valuation metrics may come down over the next 12-24 months, I do not currently think a substantial decline in stock price (i.e. below $250) is highly likely. My reasoning is:

1. Tesla will grow very substantially in the next 18 months from $10 billion run-rate revenues currently to more than $30+ billion in 2018. There has never been a company that grew more quickly after the $10 billion revenue mark. Especially at times of turbulence, investors may see Tesla as one of the few options with an improving future and buy the dips throughout a recession (see Apple in 4Q08/1Q09).

2. I expect oil prices to rise throughout 2H17/1H18, which can act as a positive catalyst for Tesla as it would increase demand for all-electric vehicles. As consumer product/service companies, Apple/Facebook/Google/Amazon would have been hurt by a surge in oil prices, which tend to show up at late-expansion stage of economic cycles. I believe this is a very important distinction that is not discussed often enough by Tesla analysts and investors.

3. Tesla runs its balance sheet conservatively: the company uses equity secondaries as opposed to issuing debt, VIE debt non-recourse and backed by solar assets, recourse debt is mostly low-rate convertible and zero-coupon meaning most of the interest expense is non-cash amortization, its upcoming product has a long waiting list, and so on.

4. The Fed is data-dependent, and it may push out what is already a gradual pace of interest rate raises.

5. Domestic political turmoil is usually coupled with significant depreciation in that country's currency, which would be positive for Tesla as the vast majority of its costs are denominated in USD, and half (and increasing) of its revenues is denominated in other currencies (mainly EUR and CNY).

6. Nothing may come of the current political turmoil.

In summary, the upside in the company is signifiant, and the downside seems limited if the Model 3 ramp-up moves along smoothly. I agree that some turbulence seems to be ahead, so keeping leverage conservative may be wise. Staying power is paramount.

Last edited:
Mercedes-Benz and Vivint Solar partner to compete with Tesla in home energy

man... this is getting humorous to watch... you can compare the numbers and make your declarations that "Tesla IS THE ONLY ONE!"...

but they're not. things missing from the current valuation:

a) competition
b) risk

go ahead and reinforce it with all your "disagrees" and replies that "Mercedez is a dinosaur"... and "there will be no companies other than Tesla in 5 years!"

it's just getting funny at this point.

• Funny
Reactions: ggies07 and ZsoZso

man... this is getting humorous to watch... you can compare the numbers and make your declarations that "Tesla IS THE ONLY ONE!"...

a) competition
b) risk

go ahead and reinforce it with all your "disagrees" and replies that "Mercedez is a dinosaur"... and "there will be no companies other than Tesla in 5 years!"

This is funny. So now it's them and BMW. How about they focus on ramping up their battery production and designing EVs from the ground up. Looks more like they can't handle the competition Tesla is providing. Sure sure, go ahead, make those "home energy" products....before long they won't be a car company any more. hahaha.

I have never heard it argued that Tesla would take over everything in 5 years.

It's physically impossible, and the collapse of other car companies would damage the economy badly by putting huge amounts of people out of work in a short time span. Components suppliers would collapse too. This is not a good thing.

Please leave the straw man hyperbole aside. It is not helpful.

I have never heard it argued that Tesla would take over everything in 5 years.

It's physically impossible, and the collapse of other car companies would damage the economy badly by putting huge amounts of people out of work in a short time span. Components suppliers would collapse too. This is not a good thing.

Please leave the straw man hyperbole aside. It is not helpful.
Anticitizen... please look at the other reply to my post:

"before long they won't be a car company any more. hahaha."

this kind of rhetoric is usually the end point during any valuation discussion.... they'll all be gone and Tesla will have replaced them... "ha ha ha".

yes... this whole thing will be reflected on as a silly joke.

a) competition
b) risk

You *are* out of your mind. Here is how competition stacks up: Tesla offers 26% lower price for the battery system that has 22.67% higher power rating, 66.25% higher gravimetric and 174.62% higher volumetric energy density. Having 26% lower price, Tesla offering also includes temperature control allowing installation inside/outside anywhere in the world while MB does not and is suitable for indoor installation only.

MB Specs
Tesla Specs

Competition!!! It is not just funny, it is ludicrously so.

snap1.png

It is as much competition as Mercedes AA class to Tesla Model S:

Last edited:
I am concerned about the Guardian article. I Googled some of the key comments and I used quotes to ensure that the exact phrase was matched. There were no other articles found when searching for:
Musk "We’re a money losing company"
Musk "I do believe this market cap is higher than we have any right to deserve"

It seems that these might actually be new comments after all, although possibly taken out of context - i.e. I expect that he would have gone on to justify the valuation in terms of future growth.

Anticitizen... please look at the other reply to my post:

"before long they won't be a car company any more. hahaha."

this kind of rhetoric is usually the end point during any valuation discussion.... they'll all be gone and Tesla will have replaced them... "ha ha ha".

yes... this whole thing will be reflected on as a silly joke.

Ok, that was posted while I was writing my own reply.

Valuation discussions are fairly pointless, because nobody knows what will ultimately happen. I don't have any faith in much of the napkin math that either bulls or bears produce, because it's usually wrong.

Reactions: AlMc
Status
Not open for further replies.