Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet you a T-shirt of winners choosing from the Tesla store that they do not get 500,000 reservations for Model Y in the first 24 hours.

*Fine print: 24-hour period starts when reservations are available to the general public. A winner can only be determined if Tesla releases official numbers confirming the total is above or below 500k for the first 24 hours. Winner responsible for notifying loser at the conclusion of the bet. If reservations aren't taken then the bet is a push.

Deal?

Moved to Bet ValueAnalyst At Your Own Risk thread.

• Funny
Reactions: copyhacker
For this that follow max pain. Little difference for the MMs from $345 to 355

maxpain

I see a lot of posts about how the autopilot team is in complete disarray and Elon doesn't act on it.

Elon is fully focused on production Model 3 scaling and I'm sure he'll sleep many nights at the factory floor to make sure they hit 5k/week in December. This is production hell.

It becomes clear they redesigned AP (HW 2.5) for Model 3 as well as building up a real navigation tool that should exceed all current navigation tools. Maps in the past have never been created with the purpose of FSD. It didn't really matter when a GPS showed 40mph but the street signs said 65mph; now we've got phantom braking.. Every little detail a navigation got wrong is now a significant problem.

The focus now is and should be on getting Model 3's out on the streets; for the company and for FSD.

Those will collect massive amounts of data and based on that, they will feed the FSD monster.

By now, they have maybe 70k Model S/X's with AP2 on the streets which is still peanuts IMO and the first months the data collected was almost inexistant.

In little more than a year from now, that number on the streets will quintuple. (current 70k + 100k X/S + 180k model 3's). That's when the real FSD monster will stand up.

Reliable data first. That's also why Tesla will maintain their advantage on FSD vs competitors. Nobody will come close to gathering data from 400k cars next year. Nobody.

Begin 2018, Elon will switch his focus to FSD & AI within Tesla and I'm sure 2018 will surprise many.

First things first, step by step. As it should.
there's this idea that Tesla already has the path to success for FSD... and all they have to do is get more miles in... if that's true... then why is AP2 a degradation vs AP1?... why is there now an AP2.5 set of hardware?... why do those that believe this keep believing it?

without FSD and all the dreams that come with it... Tesla is just another auto company... if the stock traded today at value it would be $30... the reason it doesn't is because these stories... that in 6 to 18 months... all these fantasies will materialize.

and then they don't... and then they're replaced with either new fantasies or new versions of them... now we're at FSD (Fantasy Stock Driver) 2.5.

for example... what are your revenue expectations for Tesla Energy (NOT solar) for Q3?... did we see the 2017 ramp?... will we be told the ramp is coming in 2018?

I can only laugh when I read you guys debating ANYTHING pertaining to FSD and Tesla. AP2 has become a joke among Tesla owners. I'd be hard-pressed to believe Tesla will achieve FSD in the next 10 years when they can't even bring AP2 to parity with AP1. Heck, they can't even get TACC to work correctly with AP2. Every other car company is way ahead of Tesla with TACC.

The threads linked below are from this very web page. And the small sample of comments are from the last week (and from page 1 of 8 pages of people griping about AP2).

And you people think FSD is even a remote possibility? Do you not own an AP2 car? Do you not read these owners' threads? Talk to owners? Or do you just read press releases from Tesla?

AP2 Totally Sucks
AP2 Totally Sucks 2

"This morning when approaching a bridge overpass traveling at 65mph the car very quickly decelerated to 45mph, throwing everything in the passenger seat into the floorboard BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY causing everyone behind her to start braking hard and almost caused a major accident."

"Indeed! Most of us (AP2) have experienced this sudden slow down and/or lane departure when on AP. Its getting very tiring to always have to watch like a hawk and override brake/accelerator/steering when driving along in normal traffic/roads and the AP suddenly gets a wild hare in its 'brain' and does something dumb and dangerous."

"The 20/75/85 ramps and turns are horrible on "silky smooth". More like, "hug.the.inside.lane.marker" or "disengage.for.every.bend"

"While it has gotten much better with each release, when the road ahead is wide open and the car slams on the brakes, for what, invisible hazards?"

This one is a classic:
"But honestly, I think driving myself is less stressful than constantly being on edge waiting for the car to do the wrong thing. When driving myself I only have to worry about everyone else doing something stupid, not everyone else AND my own car doing something stupid."

"I tense [SIC] when using TACC with bridges and use AP only to test it by myself after it tried to follow a dark line on the road to an adjacent concrete wall instead of following the straight roadmarking lines ahead..."

"Yeah, I just don't use EAP or TACC anymore except for brief periods. Even plain old cruise would be better than TACC that does stuff totally by surprise."

"This week my EAP braked on I94 because of the shadow of a semi in an adjacent lane. It registered the shadow as a car entering my lane."

"Letting AP2 EAP drive is a lot like teaching a teenager to drive as they make noob mistakes.... except you are at least seated in the drivers position and don't have to reach so far to grab the wheel....."

"I understand keep hand on wheel for EAP but literally every car manufacturer in the world including tesla on ap1 had or has tacc function that doesn't try to get you in car accidents. I'm in the same boat with my wife not wajtijg to ever use eap or tacc because of this very reason. "

"I'm sorry for you guys. Don't understand why after so much time AP2 is still hit and miss. How can Tesla even speak of FSD when they can't keep a decent upgrade valid for longer than a week or so before it's replaced by a downgrade? "

"Forget the AP stuff, let's just look at TACC. On my Audi, it's TACC equivalent has been 100% flawless in the 13 months I've owned it. Zero occasions where it has randomly decelerated, or failed to see a car in front of it. On the flip side, my AP2 has had issues with both; it randomly decelerates on the freeway, and has almost rear ended cars in front of me (didn't slow down at all when approaching). At this point i do not trust it at all. "

"We'll another release and nothing special, this is getting down right sad."

"I don't want to brag or be seen as an elitist, but I own an exotic car with stars on it ... it's called a Subaru. It has TACC that is also flawless. And lane maintenance assist that has been flawless. And I can have plain old cruise instead of TACC if I push a "button." It's a shame that my tesla has its functionality set in stone such that I cannot disable the beta TACC functionality and just have basic cruise, but that would take dozens of lines of code."
Once again against all the garbage I heard here, anon shashua from Mobileye is second to none
In artificial intelligence as applied to driving. Elon was naive in thinking he could replicate
The equivalent in no time. Not sure what the consequences of this may be, though
Unlikely to be positive.
Hopefully at best irrelevant.

Last edited:

Your confusing comes from the fact that Tesla has originally intended Mobileye to live side by side with EAP hardware and new features. There was a fall out with Mobileye, because their solution was almost wholly responsible for a loss of life, the other responsible party was the individual who ignored several minutes of warnings to pay attention. This caused a falling out with Mobileye and forced Tesla to replace AP functionality with EAP hardware and thus AP2 the abomination was born. 9 Short months later, they had parity from nothing which equates to what Mobileye spend decades doing and for which they earned a $15B valuation and sale to Intel. This was a speed bump in the development of EAP features that they have moved beyond.

At the end of the day, your arguments are meaningless because 1) no one cares, 2) no one has been injured because of a fault of AP2, 3) People who own AP2 love it, trust me I own two and use it almost constantly. 4) Focusing on meaningless minutiae is pointless and makes you look not so smart. 5) Results matter and AP2 cars are safer then all non-AP2 cars, period, even if AP2 is not enabled.

Your confusing comes from the fact that Tesla has originally intended Mobileye to live side by side with EAP hardware and new features. There was a fall out with Mobileye, because their solution was almost wholly responsible for a loss of life, the other responsible party was the individual who ignored several minutes of warnings to pay attention. This caused a falling out with Mobileye and forced Tesla to replace AP functionality with EAP hardware and thus AP2 the abomination was born. 9 Short months later, they had parity from nothing which equates to what Mobileye spend decades doing and for which they earned a $15B valuation and sale to Intel. This was a speed bump in the development of EAP features that they have moved beyond.

At the end of the day, your arguments are meaningless because 1) no one cares, 2) no one has been injured because of a fault of AP2, 3) People who own AP2 love it, trust me I own two and use it almost constantly. 4) Focusing on meaningless minutiae is pointless and makes you look not so smart. 5) Results matter and AP2 cars are safer then all non-AP2 cars, period, even if AP2 is not enabled.
do you take your hands off the wheel... turn your chair and do work on your laptop?... THAT'S WHAT PILOTS DO... my argument is NOT that AP2 sucks... my argument is that it's NOT FSD... it's NOT CLOSE to FSD and that it's been touted as far more than it is by Elon... and I gave you an EXACT reference to this.

my argument is FSD today with Tesla is pure fiction... just as it was 2 years ago... either Elon is wildly inaccurate in predictions or he is playing you for this stock price to remain elevated... again:

EM: "we do want to set the expectation that it's much like the Autopilot in a plane ... we do want to set that expectation with consumers"

is AP2 like Autopilot in a plane Reciprocity?

do you take your hands off the wheel... turn your chair and do work on your laptop?... THAT'S WHAT PILOTS DO... my argument is NOT that AP2 sucks... my argument is that it's NOT FSD... it's NOT CLOSE to FSD and that it's been touted as far more than it is by Elon... and I gave you an EXACT reference to this.

my argument is FSD today with Tesla is pure fiction... just as it was 2 years ago... either Elon is wildly inaccurate in predictions or he is playing you for this stock price to remain elevated... again:

EM: "we do want to set the expectation that it's much like the Autopilot in a plane ... we do want to set that expectation with consumers"

is AP2 like Autopilot in a plane Reciprocity?

It does not matter. What part do you not get. If what you are saying is correct, that people do not understand, then where are all the deaths from people driving with their lap tops while they ignore whats going on? You cant say people have some impression of something and have zero proof. When you do that, you look really dumb and out of touch. My proof that people know whats going is the fact that they are not careening off the road at regular intervals. Your proof, is because of some idea you have about how what Elon says is jacked into peoples heads like they are in the matrix and even if it was that way, they would understand that you have to pay attention.

No one has the wrong impression of what Autopilot means with the exception of you. Drive one. Seriously, it will clear all this up for you. Its impossible to get the impression that you can not pay attention. I mean its really impossible. Like really impossible. As in, not possible. Maybe if your IQ is 3 and you cannot read, then maybe you will be confused.

I can only laugh when I read you guys debating ANYTHING pertaining to FSD and Tesla. AP2 has become a joke among Tesla owners. I'd be hard-pressed to believe Tesla will achieve FSD in the next 10 years when they can't even bring AP2 to parity with AP1. Heck, they can't even get TACC to work correctly with AP2. Every other car company is way ahead of Tesla with TACC.

The threads linked below are from this very web page. And the small sample of comments are from the last week (and from page 1 of 8 pages of people griping about AP2).

And you people think FSD is even a remote possibility? Do you not own an AP2 car? Do you not read these owners' threads? Talk to owners? Or do you just read press releases from Tesla?

AP2 Totally Sucks
AP2 Totally Sucks 2

"This morning when approaching a bridge overpass traveling at 65mph the car very quickly decelerated to 45mph, throwing everything in the passenger seat into the floorboard BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY causing everyone behind her to start braking hard and almost caused a major accident."

"Indeed! Most of us (AP2) have experienced this sudden slow down and/or lane departure when on AP. Its getting very tiring to always have to watch like a hawk and override brake/accelerator/steering when driving along in normal traffic/roads and the AP suddenly gets a wild hare in its 'brain' and does something dumb and dangerous."

"The 20/75/85 ramps and turns are horrible on "silky smooth". More like, "hug.the.inside.lane.marker" or "disengage.for.every.bend"

"While it has gotten much better with each release, when the road ahead is wide open and the car slams on the brakes, for what, invisible hazards?"

This one is a classic:
"But honestly, I think driving myself is less stressful than constantly being on edge waiting for the car to do the wrong thing. When driving myself I only have to worry about everyone else doing something stupid, not everyone else AND my own car doing something stupid."

"I tense [SIC] when using TACC with bridges and use AP only to test it by myself after it tried to follow a dark line on the road to an adjacent concrete wall instead of following the straight roadmarking lines ahead..."

"Yeah, I just don't use EAP or TACC anymore except for brief periods. Even plain old cruise would be better than TACC that does stuff totally by surprise."

"This week my EAP braked on I94 because of the shadow of a semi in an adjacent lane. It registered the shadow as a car entering my lane."

"Letting AP2 EAP drive is a lot like teaching a teenager to drive as they make noob mistakes.... except you are at least seated in the drivers position and don't have to reach so far to grab the wheel....."

"I understand keep hand on wheel for EAP but literally every car manufacturer in the world including tesla on ap1 had or has tacc function that doesn't try to get you in car accidents. I'm in the same boat with my wife not wajtijg to ever use eap or tacc because of this very reason. "

"I'm sorry for you guys. Don't understand why after so much time AP2 is still hit and miss. How can Tesla even speak of FSD when they can't keep a decent upgrade valid for longer than a week or so before it's replaced by a downgrade? "

"Forget the AP stuff, let's just look at TACC. On my Audi, it's TACC equivalent has been 100% flawless in the 13 months I've owned it. Zero occasions where it has randomly decelerated, or failed to see a car in front of it. On the flip side, my AP2 has had issues with both; it randomly decelerates on the freeway, and has almost rear ended cars in front of me (didn't slow down at all when approaching). At this point i do not trust it at all. "

"We'll another release and nothing special, this is getting down right sad."

"I don't want to brag or be seen as an elitist, but I own an exotic car with stars on it ... it's called a Subaru. It has TACC that is also flawless. And lane maintenance assist that has been flawless. And I can have plain old cruise instead of TACC if I push a "button." It's a shame that my tesla has its functionality set in stone such that I cannot disable the beta TACC functionality and just have basic cruise, but that would take dozens of lines of code."

Thank you for this detailed post. I was about to rate it Informative, but then realized that most of the ratings you've received since 2014 is "disagree." I understand that ratings are not everything, and they can be manipulated and all, but yours is very decisive. I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on this, if you'd like to share.

Since you put in enough qualifiers I might agree.

Good enough for me in this specific instance. ;)

I incorporate the qualifiers in order to isolate the specific factor on which I wanted to see your position.

I'm certain that the number of reservations is an indication of demand. I'm certain that annual demand for Model 3 will exceed 700,000.

I didn't want you to get caught up on those 2 factors if you agreed with me on the relative demand for Model Y vs. 3 given the 2 factors hold true.

Last edited:
This is BS, and you have been told by actual airplane pilots several times, but keep repeating your BS.

myusername said:
my argument [...] is pure fiction... just as it was 2 years ago...

I fixed this sentence for you ;)

Last edited:
To be honest, my running supposition is that the actual FSD technology will arrive nearly simultaneously.

Technically, I agree. It's a large problem, so it is not one brilliant kid that is going to find the breakthrough 'on his own' (Hotz...) So what we are left is a large pool of mainly software engineers and computer scientists all working on this problem and creating a collective knowledge. With the mutual poaching and personal changes going in in best Silicon Valley tradition, there will be multiple parties arriving at fairly comparable solutions in fairly similar timeframes. But what's comes next is where Tesla still has a critical lead : it has a CEO that is willing to take on risk and put something in the hands of customers where other manufacturers will prefer to wait for more thorough validation. So it may be that most solutions arrive technically at the same time while Tesla will still deliver it way ahead to the market.

Here's what I want to see with Tesla Semi:

A modular, swappable battery system. Basically, just use the blank space beneath the trailer for battery packs. You could side-load the batteries, like putting a drawer into a cabinet. Each one gets you ~100 miles of range, add up to 10 or whatever depending on length of haul/size of load.

The batteries could be stored in vertical stacks at superchargers, service centers or other dedicated stations along major highways. I'm sure a robotic solution could be devised to side load these batteries into the trailer. Remove the old, plug in the new and be on your way. Depleted batteries go back into the stack and are charged, waiting for the next semi to arrive.

Final bit of weirdness - an option to use the cargo to propel the semi. Allow the semi to hitch up to a car carrier full of Model 3s or a load of powerpacks. Use the Model 3s/powerpacks to power the semi to the final destination. Not even sure if this is possible but it would be a pretty cool option for transporting Tesla products. It always struck me as an odd choice to make the Semi powered by "a whole bunch of Model 3 drive units."

Here's what I want to see with Tesla Semi:

A modular, swappable battery system. Basically, just use the blank space beneath the trailer for battery packs. You could side-load the batteries, like putting a drawer into a cabinet. Each one gets you ~100 miles of range, add up to 10 or whatever depending on length of haul/size of load.

The batteries could be stored in vertical stacks at superchargers, service centers or other dedicated stations along major highways. I'm sure a robotic solution could be devised to side load these batteries into the trailer. Remove the old, plug in the new and be on your way. Depleted batteries go back into the stack and are charged, waiting for the next semi to arrive.

Final bit of weirdness - an option to use the cargo to propel the semi. Allow the semi to hitch up to a car carrier full of Model 3s or a load of powerpacks. Use the Model 3s/powerpacks to power the semi to the final destination. Not even sure if this is possible but it would be a pretty cool option for transporting Tesla products. It always struck me as an odd choice to make the Semi powered by "a whole bunch of Model 3 drive units."
As has been explained many times before, the battery CANNOT have anything to do with the trailer because of how logistics systems actually work. The tractor doesn't necessarily stay with the same trailer.

I say nothing of whether or not swapping will be involved, but it definitely won't have anything to do with the trailer.

Personally, I think swapping won't be involved. Its unnecessary and cumbersome and needlessly increases complexity from a first-principles physics standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.