Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon Musk Was Wrong About Self-Driving Teslas

Subtext: He’s charging $8,000 for a feature that doesn’t exist yet while owners bemoan a current version that’s flawed. This is the story of how we got here.

Before you pickup any stones, consider that Tom Randall has always been on the positive side to a point he is accused as a fanboy, cheerleader etc by the shorts.

Smells like desperation by the FUDmeisters. Good time to be confident. Its coming together nicely. 3 will ramp, S/X executing well, TE coming on well, solar roof about to expand. What's not to like?

The M3 is not ramping AT ALL and the X has some SERIOUS quality issues still. The S is the saving grace for Tesla and the one (and only) thing they've gotten right so far ("gotten right" is severely undermining how great an achievement the S was/is).

Words like "will", "coming", and "about to" are about the future. And for Tesla, it's been about the future for a long time. I'm afraid it's starting to be about the "now". Investors simply aren't going to keep investing on potential and promises. We have 2 months left in 2017 and by all accounts, Tesla has delivered less than 500 M3s.

That's what's "not to like".

sounds like Woz - similar to his critiques of Jobs and Apple long ago. He's loves being a maverick and watchdog of hype.

haha.. Love it.. In reality there is too much hype on a lot of things. The iPhone 8/X for example. The hype is not the point, the results are. If people focused on the actual results and tuned out the hype, they would make better decisions about a lot of things, not just Tesla and Iphones. Frankly, Woz has to much hype around his opinions, he really hasnt done anything for decades. And I am a fan of the Woz and I think he means well, but his time is past.

Well, we are certainly getting into the lower part of the $280-$380 range that many here, including me, thought we would be stuck in until model 3 ramp hits 5k and/or we see a profit (mid-late 2018).

Personally, I will be adding at $310, which I think is a possibility, although my J19 Leaps will be feeling 30% 'red' if we get there soon.

I am looking forward to the J20 LEAP release.

For those that think TSLA hits '$0' sometime or $2K in early/mid 2019....I put both of those possibilities at .05%.

The current SP is not just about FUD. EM's predictions of where the current ramp rate should be and AP advancements are just as much to blame.

This is still a 'momo' stock. Right now the 'mojo' is not good.
This kind of reminds of when the model s was ramping. They won’t be able to make it. It won’t be as good as a bmw. It will catch fire. It wasn’t luxury enough. Short interest was super high. It’s a Ponzi scheme, with incompetent management. It will lose tons of money. They won’t be able to pay the bills. Then the reviews started coming out, safety stats got published, factory started humming, cash started rolling in...and the stock went up about 500%. That was when tesla was still just a car company, electric cars were expected to be like 1% of the market by 2040, batteries were too expensive, and self driving was a google moonshot. I don’t know about 2000 or even 600, but the model 3 without self driving makes other cars look like dinosaurs. What if in Dec or even next June owners start waking up to a car that will pretty much drive itself? This car could actually appreciate when you drive it off the “lot”.

The M3 is not ramping AT ALL and the X has some SERIOUS quality issues still. The S is the saving grace for Tesla and the one (and only) thing they've gotten right so far ("gotten right" is severely undermining how great an achievement the S was/is).

Words like "will", "coming", and "about to" are about the future. And for Tesla, it's been about the future for a long time. I'm afraid it's starting to be about the "now". Investors simply aren't going to keep investing on potential and promises. We have 2 months left in 2017 and by all accounts, Tesla has delivered less than 500 M3s.

Why so pessimistic? Oh, wait.....

Pet peeve- anyone claiming to know the reason(S) TSLA sp has gone up or down.

I'm surprised that anyone that has been here more than a while would have any concerns about the sp. Slow learners I guess.

Well, if you don't like the future then you should look at the past. Same complaints made then, and Tesla still did the things it said. Patience is a virtue.

^ I agree. People can criticize this post all they want if it makes them feel better, but as someone who believes in Tesla's future and had been heavily invested in them for 3+yrs, the reasons above are why I finally pulled the plug....for now. There is just an overwhelming amount negativity directed towards Tesla at the moment and much of it is justifiable. They truly are missing their "Iphone" moment with the M3 delays. From early reports the M3 looks like an absolute winner, but at the moment it is still essentially vaporware. In my opinion it doesn't matter how many cool announcements Elon makes right now, I don't see the stock price going up until they start delivering the M3 to customers at a decent rate.

^ I agree. People can criticize this post all they want if it makes them feel better, but as someone who believes in Tesla's future and had been heavily invested in them for 3+yrs, the reasons above are why I finally pulled the plug....for now. There is just an overwhelming amount negativity directed towards Tesla at the moment and much of it is justifiable. They truly are missing their "Iphone" moment with the M3 delays. From early reports the M3 looks like an absolute winner, but at the moment it is still essentially vaporware. In my opinion it doesn't matter how many cool announcements Elon makes right now, I don't see the stock price going up until they start delivering the M3 to customers at a decent rate.

They are not missing their iPhone moment. There are no viable competitors to the Model 3 for the foreseeable future. Three to six months is nothing over a five year timespan.

A reminder to everyone who is being disappointed by the Model 3 ramp so far. A little more than a year ago, they decided to accelerate the ramp plan by two years. We're not late at all if everything was going with the original plan. Sure they look missing the target now but making this change boosted the stock over 300 and got them an unbelievable bond issue just a few months ago. This "over-promising" strategy worked out perfectly from their point of view. And this was not the first time they used this kind of strategy to do this and I doubt this would be the last.

The alternative (500k in 2020) is not likely get TSLA over 300 at this time. Think about this for a moment.

For anyone who's been closely following the company and stock for more than a year, this is like TSLA 101.

The Whitefish no-bid Puerto Rico contract stinks
"<
Meet Whitefish Energy, which has just been awarded a $300 million project to rebuild storm-smacked Puerto Rico's electrical grid. Whitefish is based in the hometown of Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke, who knows the firm's chief executive and whose son once worked for Whitefish in a modest capacity. Whitefish Energy has two full-time employees, and its largest government contract prior to this was a $1.3 million job fixing 4.8 miles of power line. Its biggest government job other than that was replacing a pole. Whitefish Energy is a two-year-old firm, and it reported $1 million in revenue on its procurement documents.
>"

The Whitefish no-bid Puerto Rico contract stinks
"<
Meet Whitefish Energy, which has just been awarded a $300 million project to rebuild storm-smacked Puerto Rico's electrical grid. Whitefish is based in the hometown of Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke, who knows the firm's chief executive and whose son once worked for Whitefish in a modest capacity. Whitefish Energy has two full-time employees, and its largest government contract prior to this was a $1.3 million job fixing 4.8 miles of power line. Its biggest government job other than that was replacing a pole. Whitefish Energy is a two-year-old firm, and it reported $1 million in revenue on its procurement documents.
>"
Did someone mention a swamp?

Panasonic powers up electric-car battery output in Asia, US- Nikkei Asian Review
"<
OSAKA -- Panasonic, the world's biggest supplier of lithium batteries for cars, will simultaneously increase production in Japan, China and the U.S. as it looks to ride an accelerating global shift to electric vehicles.

Investments in additional capacity at all three production bases could reach 100 billion yen ($879 million).

The Gigafactory, a massive battery plant in the U.S. state of Nevada jointly operated by Panasonic and Elon Musk's Tesla, remains a work in progress even after coming online, with new production lines still being set up. The American electric automaker, eager to ramp up output, is discussing a second round of construction with Panasonic that reportedly would increase capacity by as much as 50%.
>"

Panasonic powers up electric-car battery output in Asia, US- Nikkei Asian Review
"<
OSAKA -- Panasonic, the world's biggest supplier of lithium batteries for cars, will simultaneously increase production in Japan, China and the U.S. as it looks to ride an accelerating global shift to electric vehicles.

Investments in additional capacity at all three production bases could reach 100 billion yen ($879 million).

The Gigafactory, a massive battery plant in the U.S. state of Nevada jointly operated by Panasonic and Elon Musk's Tesla, remains a work in progress even after coming online, with new production lines still being set up. The American electric automaker, eager to ramp up output, is discussing a second round of construction with Panasonic that reportedly would increase capacity by as much as 50%.
>"
They should probably focus on ramping up with the space they've got first. There seems to be a lot of idle space there right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.