Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is worth pointing out that the stock as hitting like $120 in that video - which would have later split to make it $60. A few years later the stock would be under $10. While it would rally and get back to $60 in 2003 it really didn't grow much for the 5 years after that. I say this because I think a lot of people don't really get how much a stock like this can move - even if the company continues to execute on the long term vision.

Don't disagree. And Bezos' quote that he "knows he could lose it all - that it's a fact" - or whatever it was is also perfectly apropos, IMO. Some stocks certainly are not for folks who have an aversion to volatility and/or risk.

Awesome post. So good to have the Amazon story replayed for folks. Aren't the parallels sweet? The interviewer was nearly hyperventilating at one point over the idea of Amazon's market value.

That was from 1999, 99 percent ago (For Bezos 99 billion ago).
I wonder if we will be able to do a similar look back over 18 years for Tesla. It would means Tesla would be worth 5 trillion, and would make reaching the trillion dollar barrier trivial.

What is often missed is that Jobs worked a low level operations job for Nolan Bushnell at Atari in the early days of that company. Jobs probably gained an early respect for the importance of getting the routine operational stuff right.
Doubtful.
Would jobs have discovered that the pack building process was broken AFTER the model 3 was claimed to be in production?
Apple's build was far away. I am sure they had similar glitches.
The problem was that the battery line worked fine at slow speed, but failed at higher speeds.
Try this: stand in front of a wall, make a fist with your thumb sticking out. Now swing your arm and stop just before you ram you thumb into the wall. Now speed up, and see how you do.
Its called inertia. Ouch. :eek:

Yeah, but my Boring hat is in the mail, they say. :p
Mine made it to an island. o_O

I love me some Apple, and Tim Cook, but all one needs to do is look at the rollout of the home pod, (Which I had hoped to buy my kid for Christmas), to see the even the mighty operations genius Tim Cook can have problems with manufacturing of complex products. I am holding on to my Apple, and Tesla stock despite these setbacks.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Doubtful.

Apple's build was far away. I am sure they had similar glitches.
The problem was that the battery line worked fine at slow speed, but failed at higher speeds.
Try this: stand in front of a wall, make a fist with your thumb sticking out. Now swing your arm and stop just before you ram you thumb into the wall. Now speed up, and see how you do.
Its called inertia. Ouch. :eek:

Mine made it to an island. o_O

Apple did have production glitches in its early days.

Apple II’s first run of plastic cases used a cheap manufacturing process that resulted in many cases needing to be sanded and patched. The Apple III was notorious for early quality problems.

Even in modern times Apple occasionally has build quality problems. Mass manufacturing is hard. When Apple moved the MacBook product line from scissor mechanism keyboards to butterfly hinges, there were a substantial number of people on Mac Rumors who reported stuck or nonfunctional keys.

I love me some Apple, and Tim Cook, but all one needs to do is look at the rollout of the home pod, (Which I had hoped to buy my kid for Christmas), to see the even the mighty operations genius Tim Cook can have problems with manufacturing of complex products. I am holding on to my Apple, and Tesla stock despite these setbacks.

While I believe TSLA will have a larger increase in SP than AAPL percentage wise over the next few years, which one has been up more percentage wise since June of 2013 (even without calculating dividends)?

I must have missed the revolutionary products that Apple has put out since 2011 because I keep buying the same Apple phone with a bit more spec and a better camera. Unfortunately I still can’t seem to figure out the value of iCloud, why I would want Apple Music or the point of Siri.

Because Cook has been very successful in managing the iPhone doesn’t give me much confidence that he would have gotten tesla to where it is today.

I must have missed the revolutionary products that Apple has put out since 2011 because I keep buying the same Apple phone with a bit more spec and a better camera. Unfortunately I still can’t seem to figure out the value of iCloud, why I would want Apple Music or the point of Siri.

Because Cook has been very successful in managing the iPhone doesn’t give me much confidence that he would have gotten tesla to where it is today.

Well, Cook does not have to be the COO of Tesla but, IMO, they need one. The CEO is brilliant but stretched very thin on day to day operations of all his companies.

Apple is a greedy company. On the creativity side, it's just so so. They made an iPhone.

My iPhone's sound quality is always terrible, could be AT&T's fault. My family had 6 iPhones, all of them have terrible sound quality. If there is a provider+phone that comes with good sound quality, I would switch.

Well, Cook does not have to be the COO of Tesla but, IMO, they need one. The CEO is brilliant but stretched very thin on day to day operations of all his companies.
I do not think EM is acting COO .... that task is spread across many people. I think they are quite cohesive, and putting a COO on top might have negative consequences, unless the right person was found.

I must have missed the revolutionary products that Apple has put out since 2011 because I keep buying the same Apple phone with a bit more spec and a better camera. Unfortunately I still can’t seem to figure out the value of iCloud,

If you upgrade to new phones regularly you should be able to see it: when you have the new phone you just sign in with your account and after 30 or so minutes of syncing everything is just like it was before, all apps, data and settings are copied. This for example means when you lose your phone that none of your data is lost.

I read some time ago that Tesla seems to be doing something similar for their cars where when you log in on a loner car for example all your settings (like seat position) are applied, not sure if that is rolled out yet.

Moved to correct thread

Obviously the poll is completely unscientific but it suggests that a significant number of owners — possibly greater than 50% — may choose to wait for the options they want rather than order First Production.

Maybe the difference here is that the poll you reference is about all owners while those currently invited are not just owners, but owners who were sufficiently invested in Tesla to go stand in line early on the day of the reveal? On top of that those who have already invited stand to win more by quickly ordering : more certainty about the federal credit AND a chance to flip. California owner invited to configure later who said they'll wait are maybe counting on being invited late enough that the federal credit uncertainty will be completely resolved and that flipping the car for a gain is less likely. Not sure how to reconcile the two polls otherwise.

Apple is a greedy company. On the creativity side, it's just so so. They made an iPhone.

My iPhone's sound quality is always terrible, could be AT&T's fault. My family had 6 iPhones, all of them have terrible sound quality. If there is a provider+phone that comes with good sound quality, I would switch.
Try a FaceTime voice call and see if that improves the sound. If it does, it’s your carrier.

I find it really strange the CNBC links to SA articles without fact checking them. The top news on CNBC mobile's tsla page right now is that Teslas cost $2,000 per year to service. Does CNBC not care if what they're reporting is true or not?

Simple answer is, no, CNBC doesn't care. They are often wrong anyways, on broadcasts, in their articles, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.