Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an update to the VIN sighting trend, it's looking more like step functions with exponential increase, the rise in the vertical axis (VIN) becomes increasingly larger, and the time for each step in the horizontal axis becomes increasingly shorter:

View attachment 264065

Cool! One idea: Plot the VINs registered with NHTSA in another color in the same graph. Over time, as production per car goes quicker, the two curves should move closer together. Will take a while (a few months I guess) to have enough data points to see this trend.

I searched Facebook there's no such person as Allan Pep who published such a post. I'd rather believe this is true but can you post the actual Facebook post link?

No, but the link i provided has a picture. Got the info from the other thread here--just passing it on.

Edit: I did find this:
IMG_1071.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: ggies07
Agree with you on "fake" -- how someone would think that a still-frame-photo (like this) wouldn't arouse suspicion is beyond me.

Such a simple question: Why wouldn't the person simply post a snippet video?

Simple answer: Because it isn't reality.

That photo looks fake.

Which makes me suspicious that the 1910 vin is photoshopped, too.

That photo looks fake.

Which makes me suspicious that the 1910 vin is photoshopped, too.

I've been using Photoshop both professionally and as a hobby for 20 years. I looked at both pictures up-close. They both are heavy in compression artifacts, but do not see any evidence of Photoshopping.

Why are you so suspicious of it? It's been over a week since we saw 11xx VINS, so 19XX is not unreasonable...

I believe the original driver for marginal demand was supposed to be Tesla energy. The reality is TE can only scale at a glacial pace, because the customers are utilities (monopolies) and they are driven by politics more than economics. The SA battery is the exception rather than the rule because the situation got really dire.

Sorry this is totally wrong. Demand for utility storage over the next decade or so in the U.S. alone has recently been estimated as equivalent to more than 2000 of the S Australian battery project. Energy producers and utility companies care about making money, not so much about how they do it. That is why a huge amount of wind power has been built in north Texas and why solar PV is on an exponential upward curve. These things are driven by the dropping costs changing the economics of what they use.

The current production sites can only make up to 1 million cars a year. Another 3 Gigafactories will be announced soon. All hinges on the Model 3 ramp, Tesla counts on the cashflow to build new factories. A new Gigafactory may need billions, but it can be built in stages, doesn't need all the money right away. Once we finish 5 Gigafactories, getting to 12 will be relatively easy.

I agree with all points except the last. I'm doubtful that building factories the size of GF1 ever becomes relatively easy. Especially as to how long they take from shovel in ground to reach half of planned capacity. This time may be half what GF1 has taken for all the valid reasons members have long posted.

Reactions: neroden
I did read and understand it. But I don't think you fully grasp how inconsistent your scenario is. In 2017 and 2018, there is no model Y nor semi, so you can't say "Tesla can make more immediate profit using cells for M3/MY than Semi".

If you had read and understood it, you wouldn't be so confused on the time frame. Nothing about the thought experiment posting spoke about 2017 and 2018! It speaks to 2020 and 2021, when M3 may reach 750K and both MY and Semi will be ramping up to volume.
The immediate in "Tesla can make more immediate profit using cells for M3/MY than Semi" doesn't mean this year or next, it means immediate profit as profit from the sale of the vehicles. I.e. excludes for the discussion any potential future profits from selling electricity to companies operating Semis.

I've been using Photoshop both professionally and as a hobby for 20 years. I looked at both pictures up-close. They both are heavy in compression artifacts, but do not see any evidence of Photoshopping.

Why are you so suspicious of it? It's been over a week since we saw 11xx VINS, so 19XX is not unreasonable...

I take that back. Looks real and I sure hope it is.
TheTeslaLife on Twitter

Reactions: neroden and gene
Unfortunately, we have a broken political system because the Constitution is defective.
A majority of the Cabinet could get Trump removed for failure to perform his duties (25th amendment), but the Cabinet -- despite nearly all hating Trump and thinking he's an idiot -- are a bunch of idiots themselves and also cowards, so they won't do it.

The Congress could of course impeach Trump for his apparent dementia and ranting -- that's what the first successful impeachment of a judge, Pickering, was for -- but Congress is full of some very stupid people who think "allying with the President" is more important than *survival of the country*, and although impeachment would easily get a majority in the Senate, Madison stupidly made it require a *2/3* vote.

Agree with all points, just not sure if Congressional Republicans will ever man/woman up to do what is best for the country rather than themselves and their billionaires. Back in 2009 when Obama took office, these patriots gathered behind closed doors and agreed they would oppose anything Obama might try to do, so he could not claim to have made any progress. They did this only months after the U.S.
came razor close to a financial collapse that would have rivaled the Great Depression. After learning this I've regarded all but a handful as essentially traitors to their own country, as they put their power and regaining it above it's urgent needs to pull out of the mess.

Yep. Gone.

On the bright side - it’s gone for everybody and tesla just had a few more months to a year to benefit from it. I don’t think there will be a mass cancellation of orders so demand should still be there. Also - and this is a bigger plus for the quarter - tesla just guaranteed a sell out of every single car they can deliver this year. I bet they will allocate all cars to us vs international given this. Should bode well for quarter and margins since it looks like mostly 100ds are in stock

Sorry this is totally wrong. Demand for utility storage over the next decade or so in the U.S. alone has recently been estimated as equivalent to more than 2000 of the S Australian battery project. Energy producers and utility companies care about making money, not so much about how they do it. That is why a huge amount of wind power has been built in north Texas and why solar PV is on an exponential upward curve. These things are driven by the dropping costs changing the economics of what they use.

Texas is a different market then rest of the US. In many ways, the Texas market is like Australia and not so much like rest of the US.

The wholesale market structure is not very supportive of storage. Even in Australia, big coal has been obstructionist when it comes to regulation, disadvantaging storage.

One needs to spend a few weeks understanding the electricity market structure, regulation, some physics and engineering considerations of electricity transmission & distribution, and the obstructionist politics to understand the landscape.

TE has a bright future in the long-term, the next 5 years of it is not in the US. Australia could be huge for TE. Remember we are under a anti renewable FERC under the coal puppet Neil Chatterjee for the next 3 years.

If you want to dig more, I highly recommend subscribing to the energy transition show podcast by Chris nelder. It's worth every dollar.

Yep. Gone.

On the bright side - it’s gone for everybody and tesla just had a few more months to a year to benefit from it. I don’t think there will be a mass cancellation of orders so demand should still be there. Also - and this is a bigger plus for the quarter - tesla just guaranteed a sell out of every single car they can deliver this year. I bet they will allocate all cars to us vs international given this. Should bode well for quarter and margins since it looks like mostly 100ds are in stock

Aren't all the cars allocated to overseas markets already on boats and underway?

Reactions: hobbes
I think this bitcoin mania is great for Tesla. It's finally getting young people interested in investing, and we know which stock young people like to buy... Hopefully a lot of hem make enough to buy roadsters and some TSLA.

I also feel very confident that some large company like Tencent or Softbank is accumulating a Tesla position. There are lot of these companies out there and they have a lot of cash they're looking to spend. Tesla is obviously in a temporarily weakened state so I find it hard to imagine someone isn't taking advantage. The downside form here is someone buys Tesla for $30B , and the upside is limitless. The shorts are doing everything they can to get the chart to break down but someone keeps sopping up all the shares.

It does have the "feel" of a large accumulator, doesn't it? Could just be a lot of individuals with a "buy around $300" price target, but it could also include a big accumulator. I'm now firmly of the belief that the drop from $360 was driven by the replacement of the fired sexual harasser running Fidelity OTC, and that we'll see a lower Fidelity OTC position at the next report... it'll be interesting to see who accumulated. If they stay under 5%, of course, we won't find out.

• Disagree
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
It looks like Sen. Flake added an ammendment to the Senate tax bill last night to end the EV credit at he end of this month.

Does anyone know if tonight's Senate tax bill kept the EV credit? • r/teslamotors

Both Senate and House versions have ended the credit. It looks all but gone unless something dramatic happens to POTUS before the bill is passed.
There are still fairly high odds that the worst tax bill ever written in US history dies, because the Freedom Caucus in the House hates the provisions added by the Senate to bribe the most worried Senators, and likely nothing which can get votes from the awful Freedom Caucus guys will retain all the Senators. (On top of that, by the time it gets out of conference committee, the Republicans might have lost a Senate seat -- we'll see on December 12th.)

But if it passes and the electric car tax credit is eliminated for everyone, as Musk has explained before on multiple earnings calls, this benefits Tesla. (Though it's bad for the world.) Under existing law, every latecomer auto manufacturer would get the tax credit, while it would expire for Tesla next year. So existing law was giving the latecomer incumbents an up-to-$7500 advantage over Tesla in pricing. All the incumbents have been counting on the tax credit in their pricing and business models; Tesla has been assuming it will disappear and planning accordingly.

If it's removed entirely, then Tesla gets a $7500/car leg up on BMW, Mercedes, etc. in US sales. GM has to cut the price of the Bolt immediately or be totally uncompetitive. You get the idea.

Musk is really thinking several steps ahead of most of the "competitors". This says more about the "competitors" than it does about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.