Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting4M3, your Avatar needs an update:
sloth.png

"I believe I can fly."

I would consider sitting on 100% cash right now much too risky! I hope you're referring to your trading position and that you have a core position as well.

If not, then that's the classic market timing error, and if the stock skyrockets straight up without going down first, you'll miss the entire runup. This is specifically how market timers do worse than buy-and-hold investors and indexers. They did studies on this. Market timers do worse by being out of the market during the big runups, since most of the rise in a stock will happen in a few big runups with stagnation in between. I can't remember the details, but it was something like, for most stocks which gained a lot, the gains over 5 years are typically concentrated in three specific one-month periods, so being out during one of those periods wrecks your gains.

I do have some money which will go in if the stock drops below $310, but I have never sold a share and I don't intend to so so until at least 2019. If it goes straight up I do well, if it dips and I can buy more and then it goes up I do better.

Cash too risky agreed.

On one hand, the stock market rise looks like a bubble.

On the other hand, real inflation is more like 7% per year.

And the fed... seems mathematically challenged or is held back by politics so they had to use the fake CPI.

Or the fed actually believes CPI tracks real inflation and believes that policy should be set based on that. (This is the most likely scenario. Ocam's razor says incompetence is always the most likely reason or some other theory with another name.)

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo

My immediate reaction too. On macro thread I plan a response comparing Kremlinology to Trumpology. I think based on his fuller remarks the guy is pissed because he can't get the military to plan for war with N. Korea. Whenever your military is opposed to war but the commander in chief is not, that's a formula for disaster. Should scare the crap out of the S. Koreans and Japanese.

Edit: added ese.

Last edited:
Anyone with mid-late October calls? Are you holding through next week, or selling into today's bump?

Sold most of my calls that expire today already, holding 2 360c as lottos if this current triangle resolves to the upside. Whoever is buying, is still at it, and probably really enjoying the huge selling spikes they're just sitting there and absorbing.

Also have some Oct (20th) 370c that I plan to hold into next week sometime.

Reactions: Alketi
Cash too risky agreed.

And the fed... seems mathematically challenged or is held back by politics so they had to use the fake CPI.

Or the fed actually believes CPI tracks real inflation and believes that policy should be set based on that. (This is the most likely scenario. Ocam's razor says incompetence is always the most likely reason or some other theory with another name.)
Hanlon?

Sold most of my calls that expire today already, holding 2 360c as lottos if this current triangle resolves to the upside. Whoever is buying, is still at it, and probably really enjoying the huge selling spikes they're just sitting there and absorbing.

Also have some Oct (20th) 370c that I plan to hold into next week sometime.

On Monday morning open, when volume was YUGE and someone was buyng all the shares being sold, do you have any reading on where the buying was coming from? I was surprised by the ferocity of both the selling and the buying on open Monday, and I suspect some big player(s) just decided it was time to load up and that big player(s) defined the delivery numbers to be a positive in much the same way that shorts try to define ambiguous news as a negative. Other buyers jumped in once the trend was set. Any insights appreciated.

On Monday morning open, when volume was YUGE and someone was buyng all the shares being sold, do you have any reading on where the buying was coming from? I was surprised by the ferocity of both the selling and the buying on open Monday, and I suspect some big player(s) just decided it was time to load up and that big player(s) defined the delivery numbers to be a positive in much the same way that shorts try to define ambiguous news as a negative. Other buyers jumped in once the trend was set. Any insights appreciated.

Tuesday you mean? Not really. Shows up to me as tons of selling. Over the rest of the day, algos were big buyers, dark pools net sellers. Not much insight from accumulators that day. Price was a better tell. (gapping down, but closing green with an engulfing candle)

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Cash too risky agreed.

Believe the one you're looking for is Hanlon's razor. Hanlon's razor - Wikipedia

Reactions: Alketi
Status
Not open for further replies.