Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The deal with Tesla is that short-term does not matter at all I mean I don't care if I make or lose in the short-term but in the long run this stock is going places so my strategy is to accumulate as many shiares as I possibly can and see what happens
I agree with Ron Baron
I have a similar view but I'm not anywhere near all-in because we do need to take money out of our portfolio on a regular basis to spend; so I can't afford to have everything in a single stock this *volatile* even if I consider it to be no risk in the long run. It's been a frustrating situation where I've wanted more but I won't risk being forced to sell at an inopportune time.

Appearently not inclined to it yet, he just provided his opinion on the recent run-up. While one of the reasons sited is the increased confidence in model 3 execution, he left his price target where it was: $305. For now, at least...

"Tesla shares are up 32% YTD and 55% over the past 3 months vs. the S&P500 up 4% and 8%, respectively. Let's not overthink this. We attribute the run to 2 main drivers.

1. The stock price has a self-reinforcing tendency (in both directions). Tesla is a serial capital raiser that is widely seen as not yet in an internally self-funding position. As such, its ability to sustain its operations and fundamental value is inextricably linked to the very performance of its share price, creating a self- reinforcing momentum that expresses itself even more strongly given the heavily shorted position in the shares. Yes, this can work (and has worked) in both directions. This time the wind is in its sails (but as we note in our investment risks the winds can change and willingness of capital markets to fund Tesla's strategic and investment ambitions is not a constant).

2. Highly encouraging sentiment around Model 3 timing and milestones. How many companies with a market cap in excess of $40bn can you name that are within months of launching a product that could conceivably multiply annual revenues by as much as 5x over a 2 year period? Even if the Model 3 does not lead to positive cash flow or profitability of the company in the short-term (and we expect it will not), this is nonetheless an event that can have a potentially transformational impact on the market's perception of the company's addressable market, competitive position and fundamental sustainability. Please note this factor also serves to strongly reinforce point #1 above."

Thanks for the update!

Jonas certainly moves in mysterious ways so I am not predicting that he will change his PT after the ER. But given his extraordinarily pessimistic forecasts for the Model 3 ramp there is a lot of room for him to significantly raise his PT if there is solid evidence that the Model 3 is on schedule.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it but his statement that you quote regarding the "potentially transformational impact" of Model 3 on the addressable market, competitive position, etc. seems to reinforce the possibility of improved guidance once there is more credible evidence that Model 3 will be produced in the hundreds of thousands in 2018, instead of the 80K he currently (dismally) forecasts.

Again, I don't want to predict the timing of this, but there is plenty of room for him to move his PT way up if circumstances warrant and he is in the mood. Or he may wait until Tesla has delivered 50-100K Model 3s for all I know, although I doubt he will wait that long.

Max pain for friday 17th is 270:

Max Pain | Maximum-Pain.com
If they can't push it that low (and I kind of suspect they can't), the OI walls are at 270 and 275 for puts and 280, 290, and 300 for calls. I wouldn't be surprised to see a concerted effort to keep the Friday close below 280.

After that, Monday won't have trading. Tuesday and Wednesday will probably be dominated by pre-earnings speculation. Then on Thursday we'll see how the markets react to the report.

UBS reiterates a sell.
Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 5.42.26 AM.png

"We remain cautious with expected accelerated cash burn ahead of the Model 3 launch, further dilution with another likely capital raise...While we're concerned about Model 3 launch timing we are more concerned about Model 3 profitability given battery costs..."

good grief-
so we're back to 'cap raise for bigger bonfires metaphore'-
'burning cash' too fast to achieve the too slow M3 production line launch, but 'burning' it too slow to produce profitable batteries--
basically we don't know wtf capitalism is, how it works and why we exist -
I think UBS is burning too much cash - of course it belongs to others, so why do they care?
UBS - experts at Understanding BS

---
edit: I see @vgrinshpun beat me to this conclusion as usual...

Last edited:
Don't forget to factor in macro conditions... we have had a run on the major indexes and if that run pauses or rests, it could affect TSLA. The stock is likely able to break either direction... $270 and $285 are both easy reaches.

I have a bad feeling about today. Anyone else thinking down at least a few percent today? Down about 1% pre-market. Thinking this will set the tone for the day.

I have a bad feeling about today. Anyone else thinking down at least a few percent today? Down about 1% pre-market. Thinking this will set the tone for the day.

I could be totally wrong, but pre-market "we do not understand" dip IMO will be quickly overpowered. Any way, I'll be glad to pick few shares - have buy order for $275...

Reactions: T3slaTulips
UBS reiterates a sell.

More of the usual BS... it wasn't true last year, and as Tesla continues to execute it plans, it is even less true this year.

UBS: We don't understand the run up, but we will list the reasons it went up, but we just don't believe.

The fundamental last hope for the bears is that the Model 3 they know is coming and will be transformative is their hope that the Model 3 is gross margin negative. It is what they are clinging to now and will sustain them until Tesla proves otherwise, which would be 2018 before it can be proven out.

More of the usual BS... it wasn't true last year, and as Tesla continues to execute it plans, it is even less true this year.

UBS: We don't understand the run up, but we will list the reasons it went up, but we just don't believe.

The fundamental last hope for the bears is that the Model 3 they know is coming and will be transformative is their hope that the Model 3 is gross margin negative. It is what they are clinging to now and will sustain them until Tesla proves otherwise, which would be 2018 before it can be proven out.
I just so completely don't understand the notion that Model 3 might be gross margin negative. It presupposes that TSLA management are going to be making the same stupidity that lead to the dot-com bubble. Lets take the high-volume product that we pinned the entire company's profitability proposition to, and make it gross margin negative, that sounds like a good idea. Like really. If Model 3 were going to be gross margin negative, Tesla just wouldn't build it yet. That's why they didn't build it 5 years ago.

Its easy to see from a first principles analysis that it should have better margin than similarly sized and classed gas cars, even if you assume batteries still cost Tesla $190/kWh, which we all know they don't.

If Model 3 were going to be gross margin negative, Tesla just wouldn't build it yet. That's why they didn't build it 5 years ago.
Thank you for stating it clearly.
Bears, print it out loud, and read it out loud, until it stucks into your had like a brainworm.

If Model 3 is not bringing in money, they just wont be building it.

It is that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.