Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's fantastic news, the market expects 2000 model 3s delivered for all of 2017. Only you apparently did not hear the rumor that Elon tends to set outrageous goals for his teams. I have already explained how early delays are not linear due to exponential ramp, but I'd guess they are 3-4 weeks behind. There's is also an amazingly positive nugget in that article which supports my exponential ramp model of you are smart enough to read. They clearly state that orders for 10,000 parts per week may be delayed from March to may or June. Who had Tesla manufacturing 10000/w in July?

I think this is good too. But 10,000 parts does not mean 10,000 cars. Each car could have multiple parts.

In the last couple of hours: sell-side analyst downgrade, Reuters article, parts rumor, widespread negative sentiment from commenters on Seeking Alpha, and all of this FUD:

last we knew they sold 200 cars... and now we've got this:

Tesla cuts Model 3 part orders to Taiwan supplier Hota: report

who told you they're a couple months behind?... someone on this board?... who heard it from someone on this board?... who "ran some numbers" that they got from someone on this board?
A) "a few weeks from March" is not May or June... that's 4 to 8 weeks... and considering it's October, that estimate is a 100% WAG

B) Do you realize how much this board would be crawling over themselves in tears of joy if this article said "Tesla RAISES it's units/week in December to 7000/wk"?

and when they drop it you're like... "meh... a couple weeks behind... nothing to see here folks"
"Hota shares were down 7.6 percent at 0530 GMT"

1536:Taiwan Stock Quote - Hota Industrial Manufacturing Co Ltd

Let me guess... you think this is good news for Tesla, right?
Actually, it still sounds too good to me. ;) Just like 100k-200k in second half of 2017 did last year.
Or 20k in Dec sounded just few months back. How long before the 0 is dropped?
If Tesla couldn't see the huge "bottlenecks" coming their way till it got run over, how can we feel confident Tesla sees everything till next May or June?

Those seat excuses seem pure FUD. We all saw Tesla delivering production cars in July. How could the cars be in production when parts didn't meet specs? They were all simulated to reach the RC status logn ago, were they not?

Now we have Reuters reporting on this. Part maker Hota dropped 9%. Where will TSLA go tomorrow?
Tesla cuts Model 3 part orders to Taiwan supplier Hota: report

Here is a simple question. This supplier makes axles and gears. How many axles and gear parts are in a M3? Do 3000 parts equal 3000 cars, or fewer cars?
It's funny watching Elon catchup on fear of AI takeover. That concept was well debated on the internet over 10 years ago, and for the .01% of us that were paying attention then he looks like a johnny-come-lately pushing old cliches and getting crazy attention for illegitimate reasons. The mistakes of Elon are rather in front of you. The buyout of solarcity was one of the dumbest things I have ever witnessed. I'm a big fan of Netflix and have been invested for 15 years and I wish to god they'd fire Elon and hire Reed at this point.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Elon decided to leave CEO and sit as some strategic advisor role. If I were him, I'd not give two shits about all the effort and pain of a car company when I have complete freedom to explore far more interesting enterprises.The sooner he leaves the better. We need a good manager to replace him.

This is what a bottom looks like.

So, the original article in Chinese has some very interesting information. Apparently the 5k/week level was set for October. Temporary adjustment to 3k/wk in December. Going to 10k/wk in late Q2 2018. Says something about supplier problems.

Can someone with Chinese language skills provide a better translation?

So, the original article in Chinese has some very interesting information. Apparently the 5k/week level was set for October. Temporary adjustment to 3k/wk in December. Going to 10k/wk in late Q2 2018. Says something about supplier problems.

Can someone with Chinese language skills provide a better translation?

The 10k/wk in 2Q18 would explain all of the FUD this morning.

View attachment 256438
Exactly. Today is going to be a good day. Probably some nonsense to deal with at the gate and pre market but hang on to your hat.

This premarket head fake is hilarious.

I do hope you are correct. Unfortunately, I see more Longs getting squeezed out and rotating to FANG stocks. There is little good Tesla news out there right now. Sentiment, and sustained positive movement in the SP of TSLA will only come, IMO, when there is unequivocal evidence that the 3s are being produced in quantity.

The X and 3 delays are quite different in cause, IMO but they are both *misses* on EM guidance. The X was due to complexity of design while the 3 is due to the A team at A suppliers not coming through or bottlenecks by Tesla manufactured parts (battery pack assembly at the GF and validation of stamping equipment at Fremont....my speculation on the latter)

Having been in TSLA for years I have come to expect EM guidance is aspirational not real. It does not make it any easier as an investor to have us all sit through 'stockholder hell'.

I am not selling a single share or any of the J19s but it does not mean one can't question management on failure to deliver. The shorts have a good narrative right now. It won't last forever.

With another threatening red day to go along with the others from the last week plus all of the negative news lately, I do not fear the ER next week. I have a very hard time seeing this ER being negative relative to what is known now. I don't believe it will cause a further drop next week. TSLA at ~ $320 is a great price for the coming year.
Ford just posted another quarter w/ billions in profit... Tesla is about to post another quarter of hundreds of millions in losses... the reason why this stock is so high is because the M3 is supposed to be the "second coming"... and it's late... bottlenecked... and now they're ramping down future vendor orders...

it's not fine if the M3 simply does "eh... ok"... it has to completely blow our minds to justify this valuation... it had to happen as Elon had earlier predicted... and it's not blowing our minds... it's following through just as expected... slow... with issues... and it's becoming very apparent that 2017 will be a wash and 2018 will be drastically less than stellar.

$320 is bullshit for this stock at this point.

Well, I may be the biggest idiot in the world but I just backed up the truck. I see the news as positive and I think there will be a strong reversal today. Do your own due diligence / not advice, etc.

You are FAR from an idiot:cool: but I will still wait for $310, if it ever comes. I hope you are right because currently TSLA looks like an anchor today for my portfolio which otherwise looks like it should be smooth sailing with the NAZ.:eek:

EDIT: I may move my target to $306....:rolleyes:

My biggest decision is whether to sit on TSLA intended cash till the J20s come out instead of J19s if we hit my PT.

and now they're ramping down future vendor orders...

Tesla has order with suppliers.
Tesla has to give supplier 2 month notice on volume changes
Tesla therefore cannot change order quantities instantly to match line bring up
Tesla placed orders based on estimated line speed
Line speed was less than planned
Tesla has more parts on hand then they need
Tesla lowered order quantity to match new projected production rate.

Or, to make it simpler (using rough numbers and dates for illustration), they swapped order quantities for November and January. Instead of 3k and 5k (build rate) they are getting 5k and 3k. Still 8k of parts, maybe 5 k and 2k....

Adjustment for inventory != ramp down

Status
Not open for further replies.