Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are at the tail end of the current business cycle with a recession looming. There are a lot of tells and this can all be debated. In my mind the fact that the super cycle bond bull market has come to an end is the biggest tell. My thinking is just simply, if Tesla isn't FCF positive by the time the bond markets start to move, the downside risk of being cut off is quite severe. Dilution in a macro bear market when liquidity has dried up will be crippling.

Reasonable argument but I think it's wrong because the great energy transition is causing a global boom, albeit an extremely sector-dependent one. Thanks for the answer anyway.

I hope none of this happens and this current business cycle could very well hum along for quite some time. Tesla could also become cash flow positive sooner than anyone thinks and in effect self funding.
Well, they are targeting 2018.

The canary in the coal mine would be if any of Tesla's current bond issuance start trading substantially under par. Right now for example, the TSLA 5.300% 15Aug2025 Corp trades at 97.500 which is quite normal and where it probably should be. As long as I am in this trade I will mostly just check the bond information. If it get's below 94.500 then I would take notice, other than that the share price takes care of itself.

I recall Elon being very hesitant on his prediction for numbers on the ramp. He said it was very difficult to predict.

I had a significant chunk set aside for TSLA that I kept being tempted to put in, but I kept saying to myself "Wait until after Q3 report". Glad I did. I'll be buying in the next few days. Either in the $280 neighborhood or after significant reversal off approx $300 area.

Is it possible for TSLA to follow NFLX's Aug 2011 script, in which case TSLA could go to 50, or at least go below 200 and stay there for 10mon or so.

Is it possible for TSLA to follow NFLX's Aug 2011 script, in which case TSLA could go to 50, or at least go below 200 and stay there for 10mon or so.

I cannot imagine this being possible - M3 is late, true, but sold-out for 1-2 years in advance and the delay is only three months, six maybe worst, but still a year or so ahead of initial planning.

As I said earlier. there is zero reason for Tesla to ramp up M3 till the fed tax credit is in full swing. They are losing money head over heels selling $100k cars. Does it not make sense to sell $100k cars using the $7500 credit to lose less, vs. losing more by selling $50k cars? Then, there is the need for huge capex to reach that point, where they lose more money selling each car. 6-12 month delay pretty much kills the fed tax credit for whatever M3 buyers are left in the reservation list.

Two brave souls who took up my challenge on 2018 M3 vs. Leaf worldwide sales, @Yuri_G and @Fallenone , you can start counting your days on this forum. ;)

To my no see-um "toxic bull" members: My sympathies for your truckload of purchases the last few weeks.

So you are saying for now the M3 is a compliance car? jk

I cannot imagine this being possible - M3 is late, true, but sold-out for 1-2 years in advance and the delay is only three months, six maybe worst, but still a year or so ahead of initial planning.

WE all know the 3mon or 6mon delay thing are all imaginary, nothing solid to be bet on there. But it took only about 3 months for NFLX to travel from 300 to 50. So time wise, it's mroe than enough for TSLA to do the same.

As I said earlier. there is zero reason for Tesla to ramp up M3 till the fed tax credit is in full swing. They are losing money head over heels selling $100k cars. Does it not make sense to sell $100k cars using the $7500 credit to lose less, vs. losing more by selling $50k cars? Then, there is the need for huge capex to reach that point, where they lose more money selling each car. 6-12 month delay pretty much kills the fed tax credit for whatever M3 buyers are left in the reservation list.

Two brave souls who took up my challenge on 2018 M3 vs. Leaf worldwide sales, @Yuri_G and @Fallenone , you can start counting your days on this forum. ;)

To my no see-um "toxic bull" members: My sympathies for your truckload of purchases the last few weeks.

Laugh it up. We'll see how next year pans out.

Reactions: Krugerrand
WE all know the 3mon or 6mon delay thing are all imaginary, nothing solid to be bet on there. But it took only about 3 months for NFLX to travel from 300 to 50. So time wise, it's mroe than enough for TSLA to do the same.

If you were there during the NFLX drop from 300 to 50, the company was in crisis. They tried to split their DVD and streaming business and rename their product to Qwikster, they were losing subscribers, there were serious questions about rising licensing costs, there were fears of competition from Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and cable. There were concerns about their leadership. There were serious concerns about the trajectory of the company.

Tesla is not losing customers. Model S/X order rate is at record levels. Model 3 waitlist is increasing. Tesla Energy is ramping. Model 3 ramp is improving. If TSLA were to drop significantly below 300, Tencent and other large funds would buy all shares they can get. This is a complete nonsense comparison.

I recall Elon being very hesitant on his prediction for numbers on the ramp. He said it was very difficult to predict.

I had a significant chunk set aside for TSLA that I kept being tempted to put in, but I kept saying to myself "Wait until after Q3 report". Glad I did. I'll be buying in the next few days. Either in the $280 neighborhood or after significant reversal off approx $300 area.

280 has been my target price now for a few months. Worst case in my opinion is 250. I last sold at 253 or so and was fortunate to jump into LIT ETF since then, so I didnt miss the run up to 380 or whatever too much.

If it hits 280 I'll wait see if it bounces off a few times. If macros finally start turning sour then it's a whole new story. I'd like to see 280 as the new infamous 180 bottom.

As always, new events are the most important indicator. Good luck to all.

We could very easily clear $400 in November with no problems at all
I’m extremely bullish

Short term I see $350 to $363 post ER At least
Could get even better

My best guess is $500 by December 31, 2017
I’m positioned accordingly
I couldn’t possibly be any more long than I am currently
That’s it
Looking forward to a super exciting November
Can’t wait for ER tomorrow

I'll just leave this here for some of you to consider...

Did I hear them say that the China factory was so that there would be no tariffs?

I thought prevailing sentiment was that they would still have to pay the tariff if they set up the factory in the free-trade zone.

I agree with you that this was a really interesting comment towards the end. I heard them say it was so customers would not face tariffs. Now, that isn't explicitly stating there will be no tariff for Chinese consumers, but, it's very encouraging that at least lower tariffs are part of the plan, and, yes, possibly no tariff at all.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and kbM3
Status
Not open for further replies.