Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fwiw, at 4pm, I'm going to place some trading share orders for the after hours session about $5 and $10 below the closing price as there might be a head-fake attempt by shorts to try to create the perception of disappointing news released. I've seen a few times over the years where right around the time earnings are released the stock is sent down ~$10, only to be up later in the same after hours session. I think there's quite a good chance this is related to some shorts realizing that it takes time to actually read and digest the shareholder letter, and that people are influenced by what they perceive to be other people's interpretations. it's a bit of a microcosm of the flood of "news" hit pieces, and short selloff activity in Tesla, like what we've seen the past couple of weeks, just swapping creating the perception of "news" out in place of "news" hit pieces.

caveat, I wouldn't do this if it meant my being fully out of dry powder.

I may be doing the same but as option pricing is looking for a 7% move I will probably go 15/25 below close. NOT ADVICE

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: dc_h and SteveG3
Audi had been building all aluminum A8s for about a decade before the first Model S came off the production line. Ditto Jaguar XJ.

I think the insult was meant directly at Tesla's manufacturing skills. That Tesla couldn't do it.Not that it couldn't be done. Welding aluminum without creating rust or other issues over time is a challenge.

Right, they were implying that a "young" automaker doesn't have the manufacturing ability/experience/expertise to build with an aluminum body. Hubris.

Was hoping for the surge before last ER where results seemed to get leaked early. This time around, it looks like it's heading down so hopefully it doesn't mean bad news has leaked.

I think its the shipping numbers for model S and X in the US being relatively low is noticed when today listed on Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard while the higher ones in europe and china will really be more noticed after the earnings report. I am betting on up after.

Also should they announce an S/X refresh that could be interesting.

It is really bad investor wise; targeting 5k/week late Q1 2018 for model 3....
Well I read this part as it's not Tesla's fault. Things should have worked out and they didn't......

The biggest challenge is that the first two zones of a four zone process, key elements of which were done by manufacturing systems suppliers, had to be taken over and significantly redesigned by Tesla

Congrats to our discount seeking friends, you got them so far.

Should be a very interesting conference call with how open the letter was on the model 3 bottlenecks.

This report seems bad, but it's very much in line with how this board felt things would go about 1 year ago. It helps to remember that getting things started in July wasn't supposed to happen, so this is more of a reversion to the original schedule then an actual major schedule slip.

I know I didn't expect to get my model 3 as soon as they were projecting, and now I feel like my predictions will be more accurate.

Many of us predicted a down then up your market pattern with model 3 build issues and this largely appears to be playing out

If I were a skeptic, which I'm not, I'd read most of this as handwaving BS. Translated, I think it says:
- our ability to predict this ramp is awful
- we're now sure it will be at least three months late getting to 5,000/week but we don't really know
- we're not going to start working toward 10,000/week until we've reached 5000, so at best three months late
- but really, who knows?
- that 10,000/week target that used to be 100% for sure by end of 2018 is now whenever, but there's no telling

Yuck!

Given that most people thought Tesla wouldn't ship Model 3 until late 2018, and then fact that they are MOVING BACK their targets of 5k a week to end of Q1 2018, I see this as a great buying opportunity.
5K/wk target is now late Q1 vs Dec, so ~3 months delay. Question is what will Nov/Dec deliver? There is a lot to be read into the following statements

"We expect Model 3 non-GAAP gross margin to reach breakeven by end of Q4, because of increased capacity utilization, and it should improve rapidly in 2018 to our target of 25%"

"Due to a higher mix of temporarily lower margin Model 3 deliveries in Q4 compared to Q3, we expect non-GAAP automotive gross margin to temporarily decline slightly in Q4 to about 15% and then recover starting in Q1"

Yes. And this time, it's just "expected", "based on what we know now." Last time, it was "confident" of 5k/week in December. Really bad.

That might represent Tesla/Elon further improving their communications.

If they can keep it to 3 months off of the imaginary perfect launch, I'd consider it a launch well done, if it's over 6 months off the imaginary perfect launch, I'd say we've entered disappointing results territory.

5K/wk target is now late Q1 vs Dec, so ~3 months delay. Question is what will Nov/Dec deliver? There is a lot to be read into the following statements

"We expect Model 3 non-GAAP gross margin to reach breakeven by end of Q4, because of increased capacity utilization, and it should improve rapidly in 2018 to our target of 25%"

"Due to a higher mix of temporarily lower margin Model 3 deliveries in Q4 compared to Q3, we expect non-GAAP automotive gross margin to temporarily decline slightly in Q4 to about 15% and then recover starting in Q1"
The 2 new videos showing automated body welding and seat/dash/glass roof installation. I'm a little more excited about the margins on the M3.

• Helpful
Reactions: 30seconds and NicoV
Status
Not open for further replies.