Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GUYS THEY GOT NFLX TOO! Stock market boogeyman is everywhere...

nflx.PNG

View attachment 215896
whoever controls bot that's been working this stock for 2.5 months.

or did all you retail longs get on the phone this morning and decide 281 was the new "perfect" price for the stock just before the open?... and yesterday you guys got on the line and decided 279 looked "really good"?... or randomly, about 15 times in the last 2.5 months you all got on the phone and said: "hey, right at the open this morning... let's move the stock up $8 and hold it there until the upward trendline catches up to it... and then do it again"

i expect this will run out of steam today.

This stock does have the habit of going up in a steady, rapidly upwards fashion... not the first time it's had one of them runs up. Rigged or not, it just does it occasionally.

Is it possible that it is followed by a lot of longs who choose to sit on the sidelines for long periods of time then all pile in when they feel the time is right? I know I waited between M3 announcement peak and Nov. 2016 largely ignoring it, then piled in end of Nov.

Reactions: neroden
So we closed the gap to yesterdays close. Now do we get to move up for real?

My thoughts were $276 would be the support level either yesterday or today. Since we hit that today, I am thinking it is up from here until close. I got in today at $278.22 (I lost patience when I saw the initial jump to $283.45) and I felt $5 off the high was a good entry point. I am expecting/hoping for a nice SP jump at the end of trading today. After that who knows. Crossing my fingers for positive SP move after ER.

Normally I day trade $TSLA but I will likely hold with the thougth $300 (next few weeks) is a near term possibility. (This should be a warning to all that the stock will likely stall or fade over the next 2 weeks!!) ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1kEE
All the rumours we've caught wind of, about factory status, about Model 3 status, and all the other future products, they all seem to be going well. I've not heard a single negative rumour that had any substantial evidence behind it.

One concern I have is the potential for a worker strike stopping productiion. The UAW issue hasn't begun to play out yet and with M3 pressure, they have leverage if they can get enough employees to sign a union card.

View attachment 215896
whoever controls bot that's been working this stock for 2.5 months.

or did all you retail longs get on the phone this morning and decide 281 was the new "perfect" price for the stock just before the open?... and yesterday you guys got on the line and decided 279 looked "really good"?... or randomly, about 15 times in the last 2.5 months you all got on the phone and said: "hey, right at the open this morning... let's move the stock up $8 and hold it there until the upward trendline catches up to it... and then do it again"

i expect this will run out of steam today.

I did not ask the original question in jest/sarcasm. You have provided value to our discussions at times. I, for one, appreciate it.

It is a sincere question. So, if the bots have manipulated the stock from 180 to 270 were they responsible for the large down dips when there was little substantive negative news?

Last edited:
Reactions: TMSE
Are you even looking at your own chart? Price hasn't been following that trendline since end of January.

Also instead of constantly implying something nefarious is going on, you realize that this is most likely just caused by funds accumulating(at a constant rate), as we've already starting seeing in the most recent 13f filings. Just as price was pressured as funds exited leading up to the SCTY vote, and perhaps Trump election, those same funds may be chasing back in. People are allowed to buy, you know, without it being some grand conspiracy. You honestly sound like this is the first trendline you've ever seen.
we know it's not short covering. short interest remained steady through the entire run up. institutional holdings reported from the 13Fs shows a net increase of about 6m shares... new vs sold out:

New Positions 99 964,580
Sold Out Positions 67 909,597

no significant new positions were added in Q4... but yesterday we watched the stock open and snap directly to $278 and hold while chewing through 1m volume in about 15 minutes while marking $2 increases in 5 seconds... then simply sit at its mark for another 4m shares for the day.

now look again at that chart and notice the $280 stair step from last week... then look what the stock held at... and now look at where the stock is right now... reaching for it again.

in the absence of selling AND buying... the stock is snapping to the line.

there is a bot moving the stock without accumulating shares. it alone is the reason TSLA trades as high as it does. and it alone is the reason why Tesla has been able to fund its growth.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and TMSE
One concern I have is the potential for a worker strike stopping productiion. The UAW issue hasn't begun to play out yet and with M3 pressure, they have leverage if they can get enough employees to sign a union card.
UAW situation began to play out years ago, and has had numerous reprisals, of which this one is simply the latest act.

The employees aren't that dumb. Unionizing is universally bad for them. It will cripple Tesla by restricting its freedom to reallocate employees where they're needed on the fly, demolishing the value of their stock options - the single most valuable compensation vector they have.

To convince the employees to unionize, the union would have to be able to get enough increased compensation from Tesla for the employees to cover the dues + whatever reduction in stock value it causes, else it just costs the employees money for no reason.

The only thing a union is good for is forcing a company to do what is in the interests of its employees. Tesla already does those things for the most part, and is willing to entertain discussion about their shortcomings. There is no value for the employees in unionizing, so they won't.

I will grant you that it has marginally more legs now that we're on the cusp of Model 3, but not significantly so.

Thank you very much!
Thanks @Gerardf.
Thought this was an interesting tidbit from the article:
"Recent filing data shows mutual funds increasingly betting on Tesla. The number of funds reporting new positions in recent quarterly filings has jumped 79 percent, while the number of selling out dropped by 44 percent, according to Morningstar."​
A big part of the recent price surge is clearly due to funds/institutions buying TSLA. It's not because they were not aware of the potential catalysts, but because they were waiting for those catalysts to become imminent.

Last edited:
UAW situation began to play out years ago, and has had numerous reprisals, of which this one is simply the latest act.

The employees aren't that dumb. Unionizing is universally bad for them. It will cripple Tesla by restricting its freedom to reallocate employees where they're needed on the fly, demolishing the value of their stock options - the single most valuable compensation vector they have.

To convince the employees to unionize, the union would have to be able to get enough increased compensation from Tesla for the employees to cover the dues + whatever reduction in stock value it causes, else it just costs the employees money for no reason.

The only thing a union is good for is forcing a company to do what is in the interests of its employees. Tesla already does those things for the most part, and is willing to entertain discussion about their shortcomings. There is no value for the employees in unionizing, so they won't.

I will grant you that it has marginally more legs now that we're on the cusp of Model 3, but not significantly so.

When forced overtime is in place for months at a time, employees attitudes change. IMO, this is coming to a head at an inopportune time for M3 and is somerthing relevant to keep an eye on. Who knows what will happen but if I was working 60+ hours a week with my job on the line, I don't see my family anymore and no forseeable relief is in sight, I'd consider that the universally bad situation.

I can't help but keep looking at the February earnings report in 2013. The stock was trading at the ATH at that time and the report knocked it down 12%. That would put us at $240-$245 or so. Of course everything was different then but at the very least I see that as one possible outcome. Everyone knows what happened after that but in our excitement we don't seem to be remembering what happened first. This time around we may already know deliveries so there won't be a disappointment there but the market may be unhappy with guidance and/or Model 3 updates. I really don't feel I can predict either way.

When forced overtime is in place for months at a time, employees attitudes change. IMO, this is coming to a head at an inopportune time for M3 and is somerthing relevant to keep an eye on. Who knows what will happen but if I was working 60+ hours a week with my job on the line, I don't see my family anymore and no forseeable relief is in sight, I'd consider that the universally bad situation.

As long as forced overtime is coming with the corresponding overtime pay, most people will put up with it. Its a corporate culture thing. Building the future is not a 9 to 5 job. Some people can't or won't hack it and shouldn't work for Tesla.

If they unionize? Its a humongous blow, and could kill the company. Tesla's agility is its greatest asset, and unionizing will destroy it. I choose to believe that the majority of the employees understand that.

Reactions: Krugerrand
As long as forced overtime is coming with the corresponding overtime pay, most people will put up with it. Its a corporate culture thing. Building the future is not a 9 to 5 job. Some people can't or won't hack it and shouldn't work for Tesla.

If they unionize? Its a humongous blow, and could kill the company. Tesla's agility is its greatest asset, and unionizing will destroy it. I choose to believe that the majority of the employees understand that.

Yep, union would be bad for $TSLA but the UAW recognizes now is the prefect time to stir the pot and I expect they will do so. It's now or never from UAW's POV in all probability and they have nothing to lose so they will give it all they have. Appreciate your thougths. Something to consider.

Tesla Gains Due to Elon Musk's `Superhero Status' -- Market Talk
DOW JONES & COMPANY, INC. 8:49 AM ET 2/22/17

11:49 ET - The rise in Tesla's (TSLA) shares is attributable to the myth of its CEO and positions it to raise more cash, says Barclays. TSLA is up about 50% since it closed a deal to acquire SolarCity in mid-November. "The recent run- up in Tesla stock has less to do, in our view, with anything around the near-term financials, and more to do with the nearly superhero status of Elon Musk," the investment bank states. TSLA says it has enough cash to bring out the new Model 3 later this year, though Musk has left open the possibility of raising more, and Barclays assumes he will, saying, "We would not be surprised to see a $2.5 billion raise." TSLA reports 4Q results after the close.

Tesla Gains Due to Elon Musk's `Superhero Status' -- Market Talk
DOW JONES & COMPANY, INC. 8:49 AM ET 2/22/17

11:49 ET - The rise in Tesla's (TSLA) shares is attributable to the myth of its CEO and positions it to raise more cash, says Barclays. TSLA is up about 50% since it closed a deal to acquire SolarCity in mid-November. "The recent run- up in Tesla stock has less to do, in our view, with anything around the near-term financials, and more to do with the nearly superhero status of Elon Musk," the investment bank states. TSLA says it has enough cash to bring out the new Model 3 later this year, though Musk has left open the possibility of raising more, and Barclays assumes he will, saying, "We would not be surprised to see a $2.5 billion raise." TSLA reports 4Q results after the close.

Another "Journalist" that doesn't know much about TSLA but writes an article on the company.

Huh? Its excerpts from a Barclays note put out his morning.

What did Musk do in December 2015 to catapult him into superhero status? Was he not already a superhero in Early 2015? Early 2016? Late 2016? It's not like Elon Musk has only just become cool. This is a really weird argument from a respected institution like Barclays.

What did Musk do in December 2015 to catapult him into superhero status? Was he not already a superhero in Early 2015? Early 2016? Late 2016? It's not like Elon Musk has only just become cool. This is a really weird argument from a respected institution like Barclays.

I think this is a CYA for telling investors to sell before a 50% SP rise: "I was right but the market is crazy." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.