Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There were 255k shares available at Fidelity, with interest rate steady at 1.75%.

Based on yesterday's report of $400M drawdown in short interest over last week. Taking $277.39 yesterday's close, this is equivalent to 1,442,013 shares covered over the last week. Interestingly, this compares to 701,718 shares of net covering based on my records of the short selling activity at Fidelity. So based on the above short selling activity at Fidelity accounts to approximately 48.7% of total, which seem to be a reasonably expected proportion.

snap1.png

TrendTrader007, I know you have accumulated some fans on this forum and are keen to feed them the optimistic view they crave, but could you condense your thoughts a little? Having 3 posts of one or two sentences each by the same poster in row can be a little annoying.

I have no beef with your content, just would be nice if you could post in fewer, longer posts. That way you will displace fewer contributions by other posters.

Edit: Acutally, I do have some beef with the content. A post consisting solely of 'Elon Mus and Tesla are underrated by Wall St' adds nothing. It is an opinion stated as fact (don't we love to criticise bears for this?) and gives nobody here a better understanding of TSLA's actions.
We have in the past been vociferously critical of bearish posters. We often say that we have no problem with bearish posts as long as they are well argued and backed up, and separate facts from opinions. Yet many of the bearish posts that elicit such admonition are of a higher standard than the bullish ones by TrendTrader, which are met with some enthusiasm.
Could we try to reverse this cognitive dissonance in the interest of a balanced and financially rewarding discussion?

Last edited:
TrendTrader007, I know you have accumulated some fans on this forum and are keen to feed them the optimistic view they crave, but could you condense your thoughts a little? Having 3 posts of one or two sentences each by the same poster in row can be a little annoying.

I have no beef with your content, just would be nice if you could post in fewer, longer posts. That way you will displace fewer contributions by other posters.
Sure! No problems bud!

So what you're saying is that the analyst sentiment is most useful as a contrarian indicator. Shocker.
Usually true on heavily followed stocks, I think.

Doesn't seem to be as true on obscure stocks -- I figure on those, the analysts themselves choose which stocks to follow which gives more of a bias towards people who wanted to analyze the business.

Short sellers have been at the losing end of a tug-of-war with Tesla Inc <TSLA.O> investors in 2017, with some surrendering in recent weeks following nearly $2 billion in losses as shares of the electric car maker approach record highs.

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/rptshort-sellers-lose-nearly-2-bln-in-tesla-tugofwar-20170222-00407

Thanks @Gerardf. Thought this was an interesting tidbit from the article:

"Recent filing data shows mutual funds increasingly betting on Tesla. The number of funds reporting new positions in recent quarterly filings has jumped 79 percent, while the number of selling out dropped by 44 percent, according to Morningstar."​

@myusername: In your opinion who is rigging the recent run up? Thanks
Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 7.35.49 AM.png

whoever controls bot that's been working this stock for 2.5 months.

or did all you retail longs get on the phone this morning and decide 281 was the new "perfect" price for the stock just before the open?... and yesterday you guys got on the line and decided 279 looked "really good"?... or randomly, about 15 times in the last 2.5 months you all got on the phone and said: "hey, right at the open this morning... let's move the stock up $8 and hold it there until the upward trendline catches up to it... and then do it again"

i expect this will run out of steam today.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
View attachment 215896

or did all you retail longs get on the phone this morning and decide 281 was the new "perfect" price for the stock just before the open?... and yesterday you guys got on the line and decided 279 looked "really good"?... or randomly, about 15 times in the last 2.5 months you all got on the phone and said: "hey, right at the open this morning... let's move the stock up $8 and hold it there until the upward trendline catches up to it... and then do it again"

Seem to be headed straight for 300 imo.;-)

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3
View attachment 215896

I agree it has to run out of steam eventually, and I'm not sure when that day is.

Do you have any evidence to support that today is the day it runs out of steam? The trend started a long way after 3Q16 results were announced, and a long way before 4Q16 results were a thing - so I don't think its the ER that will be connected to it.

OTOH, bulls and bears both seem to agree for the most part that the actual numbers in this ER don't really matter all that much. S/X were at best marginally profitable, and likely lost a bit. Whether its $0.20 or $0.50 or $1 doesn't really matter all that much because all eyes are on the future products, 3 in particular.

All the rumours we've caught wind of, about factory status, about Model 3 status, and all the other future products, they all seem to be going well. I've not heard a single negative rumour that had any substantial evidence behind it. That much good forward-looking news, especially if management confirms a tighter planned launch date of 3 than "late 2017" (narrowing the window to a quarter or a month is an indication of confidence), has to be good. What is left of the bear thesis to continue putting downward pressure on us? Their entire thesis seems to be linchpinned on 3 points. "3 will be late" (I don't think it will, not significantly so, anyway), "3 will have negative margin" (really? do you honestly think Tesla management is that dumb? That's why we built S and X first.), "3 will not be priced as advertised" (again, I don't think so).

View attachment 215896

Are you even looking at your own chart? Price hasn't been following that trendline since end of January.

Also instead of constantly implying something nefarious is going on, you realize that this is most likely just caused by funds accumulating(at a constant rate), as we've already starting seeing in the most recent 13f filings. Just as price was pressured as funds exited leading up to the SCTY vote, and perhaps Trump election, those same funds may be chasing back in. People are allowed to buy, you know, without it being some grand conspiracy. You honestly sound like this is the first trendline you've ever seen.

View attachment 215896

Looks more like short covering at a steady pace (see http://www.nasdaq.com/article/rptshort-sellers-lose-nearly-2-bln-in-tesla-tugofwar-20170222-00407) volume in the last two / three month was higher on average than during most of 2016. A pullback after earnings is nothing unusual, so you may be right. Nevertheless, as many here have pointed out again and again, the rolling out of model 3, speed of ramp up of M3 and the impact of TE will be what will define the trajectory of the share price. I'm long and not deterred by wild volatility because it will not matter, when we will be looking back in 2025. Or in other words, i suspect a lot of longs are in for the long haul and share the visionof Em and team.

Status
Not open for further replies.