Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm super jealous! No income taxes on trading....

This is under the condition that the trading happens in a 'good housefather' way, otherwise any gains should be declared as 'diverse income' which is taxed at the lower rate (for Belgium) of 35%. It is up to the judge to interpret what kind of trading is good and what is bad, but if the frequency is such that it looks like a job, it is probably bad. Since Belgium is the world champion of high taxes, you shouldn't be too envious. BAsically anyting you do is taxed heavily, typically at rates of about 50%. E.g. The corporate tax rate is 33%, what's left can be declared as dividend, which is again taxed at 30% in privat income tax.

This no capital gains tax because there is already a tax of 0.3% to 1.3% on every transaction (buy or sell). Last year, a speculation tax of 33% was introduced on gains achieved on any stock sold within 6 months of purchase, as part of our goverment efforts to plug the hole in its budget. After 9 months they came to the conclusion that the amount of transactions had fallen so much that the total tax revenue of transactio tax+speculation tax was much less that before the introduction of the speculation tax. (Note that losses where not deductable, but gains were taxed, which I consider a very greedy point of view of our government). THe speculation tax was dropped in the beginning of the year.

Some parties in the current government coalition (the same ones that pushed the speculation tax) now want to introduce a capital gains tax on gains within the first 30 YEARS! of ownership.

Move to Estonia. You can open an account and declare it a trading account. Then you have to annually just declare cash in and outflows that are unrelated to trading (i.e. when you add money to account or withdraw, but also monthly fees, transaction fees are considered part of trading so don't need to be reported). This means that as long as you don't withdraw from the account more than you've put in it's 100% tax free. Most banks where you can trade generate the report automatically and you can with one button send it to the customs board where it goes to your tax declaration automatically.

If you do withdraw more than you put in, then on the excess amount you have to pay 20% income tax. That's it. You can daytrade or do what ever you want, you can reinvest your profits as many times as you want. You'll only get taxed if you take the money out finally.

EDIT: actually, you don't even need to move here I think. we have a program called e-residency where you can become an electronic citizen of Estonia gaining most of the rights of true citizens. Opening a bank account and creating a company are some of the perks, but I think you can also probably tie it with the trading account and then for example open a trading account in LHV that as a backend uses Interactive Brokers :) So you get low transaction fees and excellent taxes :D

Last Friday was net covering day at Fidelity with 92k shares covered. Today at 8:00am there was 422k shares available for shorting, with interest rate steady at 1.25%.

snap1.png

As of 9:05 ET,

Indexes in the red, Nasdaq -0.30%
Pre-market high 252.10
Pre-market low 249.18
Pre-market Volume 28,844
Currently hovering around 249.50 to 249.9x

If there is a "morning pop", guessing it will be in the 252.x area....

Edit: as we near 9:29 ET it's tending down.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the f*re at a supercharger in Shanghai over the weekend isn't helping us either. Stupid though that is. Gas vehicles catch f*re at gas stations on a semi-regular basis. Rare events are rare. Etc.

Everything with $TSLA gets magnified out of proportion. In any case, it brought the words "fire" and "Tesla" together again, which always seems to kill the SP for a while.

There's also the Nevada treasurer investigating GF subsidies.

I'm guessing the f*re at a supercharger in Shanghai over the weekend isn't helping us either. Stupid though that is. Gas vehicles catch f*re at gas stations on a semi-regular basis. Rare events are rare. Etc.

Recent Mercedes recall was issued after dozen fires none of which were reported in general media...

I think there is a lot of pent up demand to buy TSLA given that there were no breaks in the run-up from the Spiegel bottom, but there is also a fear/desire to see prices go lower before accumulating - especially given TSLA's history. In the meantime we're finding a balance at low volume at $250 between shorts trying to break it lower and longs who've decided to buy at $250 or lower. The longer this goes on the better, as the pressure will build on both waiting longs and shorts to give up on lower prices and start buying. This would be a sharp move as the larger players will have shown the most patience.

Of course if TSLA breaks lower a new balanced level will need to be found, but I only see this happening if the broad market moves sharply lower, as the 4Q earnings call ended immediate hopes for a M3 delay and with it the case for serious shorts to add to their positions.

Now 17 weeks from scheduled M3 production..

Edit: changed 19 wks to 17 wks. Thanks T3slaTulips

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.