Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 calls will make your more money, but I'd warmly suggest you read up on options before diving in. They're dangerous, and much harder to read at the glance on statements, when executing trade etc You need to spend some time to internalize behavior etc...

If you must trade unprepared, here are my thoughts (not advice!):
- do not buy more than 120% exposure, i.e money/SP/100*1.2. Example you have 100K and SP is $300, 100000/300/100*1.2=4 Do not buy more than 4 contracts (1 contract = 100 shares), to control potential loses
- Here is how much to pay:
Jan 19 strike $100, fair value pay around SP-$99.5, at max SP-$99($1 time value premium)
Jan 19 strike $150, pay SP-$149, at max SP-$147 ($3 time-value premium, that may be too much though, I didn't check this strike for awhile)

BTW, these kinda DITM calls are good to survive nuclear winter of no movement for cpl years, they're otherwise poor use of capital. Yet, better use of capital than shares.

Well, few things depend on your vantage point. Truly DITM calls (strike $100) lose no time-value. So if I can afford to buy 800 shares, I may instead buy 8 contracts (equal movement to 800 shares), and keep 35 percent cash, just in case. Or buy 10 contracts for 125% exposure. You're not gonna lose _everything_ with that kind of strategy. If stocks rises 50%, you will make 1.5*1.25=1.875, i.e 87.5%. If stock drops 50%, you will lose 0.5*1.25=62.5%, actually probably a bit less,as options will recover some time-value as you get closer to the strike.

Point is to think in terms of leverage, and how much exposure in terms of shares you want. At least that works for me...

Good strategy. Also, if you are working from a 401K or IRA where short term vs long term capital gains are not an issue, you can harvest money from deep in the money leaps which are far deeper than necessary for getting the leap at near zero time value. For example I could sell a J19 120 call and buy a J19 150 call and maintain my same earning potential but have less money invested. I don't get a full $3000 per option back in the move because those 150s are still selling with a $3 time value, but if I sell my 120 leap at $313 and buy the 150 when the stock is trading below $310, I can often harvest $3000 per option. Today was a perfect day for doing this because throughout the day we saw an overall downslope to the trading and when half a million shares were shorted at Fidelity at noon, it strongly suggested we weren't going to see an afternoon rally.

The danger of using DITM leaps as shares substitutes happens if you ever see a nasty drop in share prices where the stock is trading for a prolonged period of time at a price below your strike price. That would be a 50% or greater drop for me. In such a case, you can't inexpensively roll your leaps forward to the next year's leaps. With stock, you just ride out a multi-year deep plunge and ride the stock back up when it recovers. Also, since DITM leaps are leveraged trades, you're best off leveraging when the stock is at a low point ($180 recently) than at a potential high point.

I subscribe to the Chickenlittle approach, which is to leverage into DITM leaps when the stock looks like it has bottomed out, and then convert those DITM leaps to shares before the stock reaches its peak. You're then riding up with a leveraged position and riding down with a deleveraged position. The tough part is forcing yourself to deleverage soon enough.

Last edited:
Good strategy. Also, if you are working from a 401K or IRA where short term vs long term capital gains are not an issue, you can harvest money from deep in the money leaps which are far deeper than necessary for getting the leap at near zero time value. For example I could sell a J19 120 call and buy a J19 150 call and maintain my same earning potential but have less money invested. I don't get a full $3000 per option back in the move because those 150s are still selling with a $3 time value, but if I sell my 120 leap at $313 and buy the 150 when the stock is trading below $310, I can often harvest $3000 per option. Today was a perfect day for doing this because throughout the day we saw an overall downslope to the trading and when half a million shares were shorted at Fidelity at noon, it strongly suggested we weren't going to see an afternoon rally.

The danger of using DITM leaps as shares substitutes happens if you ever see a nasty drop in share prices where the stock is trading for a prolonged period of time at a price below your strike price. That would be a 50% or greater drop for me. In such a case, you can't inexpensively roll your leaps forward to the next year's leaps. With stock, you just ride out a multi-year deep plunge and ride the stock back up when it recovers. Also, since DITM leaps are leveraged trades, you're best off leveraging when the stock is at a low point ($180 recently) than at a potential high point.
I subscribe to the Chickenlittle approach, which is to leverage into DITM leaps when the stock looks like it has bottomed out, and then convert those DITM leaps to shares before the stock reaches its peak. You're then riding up with a leveraged position and riding down with a deleveraged position. The tough part is forcing yourself to deleverage soon enough.

Firstly, my discussion does not concerns itself with tax consequences (I mostly use TFSA/RRSP accounts in Canada)

Now, I agree with most of the stuff you're saying.

Except that I can't reliably execute any of the strategies you describe :). If I could, such skill would lend itself to trading, which perhaps is more lucrative than investing. Anyhow, I don't do that (anymore).
When replacing options, I use multi-leg strategy that guarantees execution of both legs simultaneously, I just specify diff I want to pay. I can often trade at a median price of the spread. Multi-leg option execution is a rather new feature of TD Direct platform(not Ameritrade, or whatever you have down south).

And, mistaken or not, I hear in your reasoning assumption that this is a levered trade, implicit assumption that I'd use all/most of the capital.

I don't approach it that way. I start from the point that I figure how many shares I can afford and want to buy. Then I get corresponding number of contracts (shares/100). And there is 30-50% of the cash left, depends how deep in the money strike is. That cash gives me opportunity to lever, but that is not automatic decision by any means. It's usually separate in time. Last time I added significant exposure was on the March 23rd, when I played for the Ichimoku cloud bounce. But I can't do that consistently, so it was a bit of a gamble, if it dropped under 240, I'd have dropped that additional exposure and then some. Sitting around 130% now with some cash on the sidelines. Some of the cash I used for AMZN at around $800, lucky me :)

I do want to call in the fact, that if you don't leverage, you will lose equal or less nominal $ by holding this kind of assets vs stock, so your description of danger is correct when you're leveraged, but otherwise it's not. Now, most ppl do this for leverage, but you don't have to.

For example(assume SP $300 for ease of calucation), If I buy 10 contracts of $150 strike TSLA, instead of 1000 shares($300K), I will pay around $150-$153K, deploy about 50-51.5% of the capital.
If stock dropped 50%, I would lose around 150K in shares, but probably around 120K in options, as options would recover some time value and be priced around $30 (price for Jan 19 if Tesla was 150 - sounds about right?)
Furthermore, if Tesla dropped to $100, I would have lost $200K in shares, and loss in options is limited to invested $150-$153K, but option would still probably be worth some $10, so loss would be around $140K
Taken to logical extreme, if TSLA goes to 0, I lose 150-$153K in options, but $300K in shares
So DITM calls are actually safer, if you don't leverage yourself

Last edited:
I've pinged head of research at S3 Partners, a financial analytics firm that tracks short interest in real time to see if there were really 1M TSLA shares shorted yesterday. I'll post if he replies.

So I had an exchange with Ihor Dusaniwsky, who provided some insight into the shares availability data and highlighted reasons why the data might not be an accurate predictor of changes in short interest. I've been following Ihor on Twitter for some time, and as a disclosure item, he is quite a bear on Tesla. He is also obviously trying to promote services of his company, so generally would be somewhat dismissive about methods to track short interest, unless it is a paid service from the L3 Partners. Having said this, I believe that he offered a good insight on the subject.

For those not familiar with Twitter, read posts **bottom** to top.

Snap3.png

Snap2.png

Snap1.png

Snap1.png

Last edited:
As a sequel to the exchange with Ihor Dusaniwsky, I finally decided to spend some time to try to see how Nadaq data and information from Ihor correlate (or not) with the Fidelity shares available for shorting data.

For those not following this for a while, I did a similar exercise a while back, trying to correlate Fidelity shares available for shorting data with the L3 Partners data. Back then the correlation was plausible, suggesting that Fidelity data could be roughly responsible for around half (quoting from memory) of the shorting activity as reported by L3 Partners.

Trying to get such a comparison with the short interest data provided by Ihor today, as well as with the 3/31 and 4/13/2017 data from NASDAQ, however, seem to indicate that Fidelity shares available for shorting data is *not* a reliable source for tracking short interest, as in both cases changes in availability *exceeded* changes suggested by NASDAQ and L3 Partners data. This indicates that a lot of changes in Fidelity availability during the last 2.5 weeks were *not* linked with actual shorting and perhaps can be explained by other activities which Ihor mentioned in his posts.

Snap1.png

Snap2.png

Yeah, I would definitely add some provisos in case any newbie casually reads this thread.

Excellent point, geneclean55. Here are a few:
* Dealing with leaps requires discipline that isn't necessary when holding shares. If you're in for the long haul, you need to roll the leaps forward about once a year. If you wait too late and plan to roll close to expiration and then the stock takes a tumble, you will take a financial hit compared to if you had rolled the stocks forward earlier.
* Deep in the money leaps aren't as liquid as stock. You can get out of all your shares in 30 seconds. Selling leaps at unattractive strike prices (too deep in the money) cannot happen quickly unless you're willing to take less for the leaps than they're otherwise worth
* If you forget about a leap and it expires, you are sugar out of luck

If you use leaps to leverage:
* If you think riding TSLA stock down on its bad days is thrilling, try riding a position leveraged in options down on such a day (a real toboggan run)
* Leverage is your friend if the stock price is going up and it is your enemy when the SP is going down. For this reason, you only want to leverage your holdings when you have strong confidence that the SP will be going up. Sugar happens, though. We all get surprised sometimes.
* Leveraging a position requires confidence. You need the will to leverage when the stock price and sentiment are low, the will to hang in there when there's a further, unexpected dip, and you need the discipline to deleverage when the stock price is high and your emotions are in conflict with your plan or your observations.
* Both Zhelko and I have been over the falls in a barrel with leveraged positions. Fortunately, Tesla found its mojo again and we both recovered. Others won't necessarily be so lucky. If you plan to try your hand at options for the purpose of leveraging, I strongly suggest starting with a relatively small portion of your portfolio. You will likely lack a full appreciation of the dark side of leveraging with options until you have gone over the falls at least once. Please do so with a small enough position that allows you to recover.

As a sequel to the exchange with Ihor Dusaniwsky, I finally decided to spend some time to try to see how Nadaq data and information from Ihor correlate (or not) with the Fidelity shares available for shorting data.

For those not following this for a while, I did a similar exercise a while back, trying to correlate Fidelity shares available for shorting data with the L3 Partners data. Back then the correlation was plausible, suggesting that Fidelity data could be roughly responsible for around half (quoting from memory) of the shorting activity as reported by L3 Partners.

Trying to get such a comparison with the short interest data provided by Ihor today, as well as with the 3/31 and 4/13/2017 data from NASDAQ, however, seem to indicate that Fidelity shares available for shorting data is *not* a reliable source for tracking short interest, as in both cases changes in availability *exceeded* changes suggested by NASDAQ and L3 Partners data. This indicates that a lot of changes in Fidelity availability during the last 2.5 weeks were *not* linked with actual shorting and perhaps can be explained by other activities which Ihor mentioned in his posts.

View attachment 224767

View attachment 224768

Fidelity shares borrowed predicted 4.37x actual NASDAQ data and 4.43x what S3 Partners showed.

It looks like your data actually is useful it just over predicts by ~4.4x.

If this ~4.4x multiple holds for a few more data points your data will become a seriously useful tool. Thankyou for doing this @vgrinshpun.

Last edited:
Fidelity shares borrowed predicted 4.37x actual NASDAQ data and 4.43x what S3 Partners showed.

It looks like your data actually is useful it just over predicts by ~4.4x.

If this ~4.4x multiple holds for a few more data points your data will become a seriously useful tool. Thank-you for doing this.

The thing is that when I did previous analysis. as I mentioned, the availability data suggested 0.5x of shorting that was reported by L3 Partners. So it looks like there is no *consistent* good correlation. I agree that data is useful, but it seems that interpreting it is more of an art, than science.

I am actually thinking whether we can organize a group subscription to the L3 Partners short interest data. I can see it as a worthwhile effort if they provide data on *daily* changes in short interest. I understand that their conclusions are also could not be 100% accurate, but combining this data with Fidelity availability data might give us enough of an insight. My main interest is being able to pick up consistent covering activity (rolling squeeze) and be able to determine when it is falling off to try to pick good exit point for short to medium term trading.

Given that we have been recently bombarded with articles about the scarcity of cobalt, does anyone have more information about how Tesla can navigate through this?

Obviously, the recent surge in price of Cobalt will help to increase interest and supply levels.

Tesla will likely also get the best deals because it will have the highest requirements.

It seems that mining Cobalt can come as a byproduct of mining lithium and nickel so by purchasing these other components of the battery, Tesla will be promoting increased supply of Cobalt.

It seems like most Cobalt comes from the unstable Congo region. I've read that China and hedge funds are buying up Cobalt.

Are there other promising suppliers that you have read about?

JB addressed this issue in a recent talk but I forget where. How do we get this addressed in the warnings call? What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Moderator Input:
I will suggest that you and others with an interest in Co or in any other metals or other basic inputs dive deep into the 100-odd posts of the "Resources Angle" thread. There has been a good deal of discussion, some of it very good*, regarding esp. battery inputs in this thread over its three-year existence.

To throw out a spoiler, my own inputs there, and that of a number of others, can be summarized as that no supply crunch reasonably can be expected, and that there are a varied and geographically diverse set of sources of Co such that any unrest in DRCongo or elsewhere need not be likely to be a problem.

Lastly, a small correction: there is effectively no byproduct Co from Li extraction nor is there ever likely to be some - a very small amount of Co theoretically could be associated with spodumene-derived Li but that is highly of academic interest only. It certainly is associated with Ni, as you also wrote.

Link here: The Resource Angle

*not just my own entries, of course ;)

The thing is that when I did previous analysis. as I mentioned, the availability data suggested 0.5x of shorting that was reported by L3 Partners.
Welp, so much for that. Though I'd still like to see a few more comparisons to NASDAQ data, it's reported every two weeks so we could get a statistically significant number of data points in a reasonable time frame.

So it looks like there is no *consistent* good correlation. I agree that data is useful, but it seems that interpreting it is more of an art, than science.

I am actually thinking whether we can organize a group subscription to the L3 Partners short interest data. I can see it as a worthwhile effort if they provide data on *daily* changes in short interest. I understand that their conclusions are also could not be 100% accurate, but combining this data with Fidelity availability data might give us enough of an insight. My main interest is being able to pick up consistent covering activity (rolling squeeze) and be able to determine when it is falling off to try to pick good exit point for short to medium term trading.

What would a subscription to L3 Partners data cost?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Status
Not open for further replies.