Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the only realistic theory as to why the stock is popping is that the algo bots are scrubbing old TMC threads looking for clues on the upcoming earnings and have stumbled on TT007's April 2 post reading "Pump up the Jam" and have gone crazy hitting the buy button. It's only science...

I must be just the right age for that song to be a nostalgic memory of my youth, but that post has been cracking me up ever since. It has entered the language of our home. When my wife asks how the market is today, if it is up, my reply is, "we are pumping up the jam today!!"
I thought for a while the reference to algobots was just a euphemism for skin-deep investigation analysts who only pay cursory attention to any particular stock in an attempt to play the news on a bunch of stocks, but in my searching to find an answer before asking a "dumb question" it seems that these algobots are a real thing, which explains the constant spewing forth of repetitive stories on Yahoo Finance and similar in an attempt to manipulate stock prices. I would imagine that in time the algobots would be less inclined to act on repetitive stories that don't vary their verbiage, but considering there are programs that write news stories, they could easily have something that just re-writes the same old FUD in a different way. You learn something new every day! :cool:

Reactions: neroden
My suspicion about the jump up is rotation of traders out of AMZN and GOOG into TSLA for upcoming ER. IIRC, this happens often during 'ER time'

Going back to the debate about Grohman. You can dot every 'I' and cross every 't' in a contract but sometimes transitions from one culture to another do NOT go smoothly. I suspect that is what has happened here. We are all speculating and I will speculate further: This was basically a 'mom and pop' outfit. I suspect Grohman had a very personal relationship with his employees and his customers. I also suspect that much of the middle management had close ties with middle managers at their customer's companies.

Tesla does not have those relationships. They may build them over time (with employees) but it does take time. Anyone who has worked in a takeover situation knows that the employees have much angst. They knew the past and projected that int o the future. Their future dramatically changed with the Tesla acquisition. Probably for the better but they don't know that.

I suspect the recent letter from EM settled down much of the angst.

what was that? some news out?

Could there be some non-public event related to solar roof ordering coming online (which will be made public in the coming hours) that is being reacted to?

Almost certain it wasn't news. Shorts couldn't hold price down. I've been watching level II all morning and it was really clear capping at the top of the triangle that was forming on 1m. Bid side at support was very strong all morning considering the selling pressure, but around 11:45 the bids started to really grow in size and upward pressure. Algo buying started to really spike at 11:58am, and the clean break through 310 seemed to trigger a ton of stops, resulting in a flurry of covering/earlier program bars trading out.

A short may be popping. There's a limit to "max pain" b.s.

"Typical" way of calculating max pain won't work here - best "pin" is actually between 310 and 312.5, based on "walls" of calls and puts in yesterday's OI at close. There's a wall of puts starting at 307.5-310, and going back to 300, with peaks of ~8000 on $305 and $310. Anytime someone closes a bunch of those, MM's have to readjust their delta hedge, and close out the short position they opened when they sold the puts. Same thing happens with calls, but in reverse.

I won't be surprised if we get down below 305 tomorrow, a 3-4% dip from ATH, and come back up on Mon, as I was thinking 2 days ago.

Add: but I won't do anything about it. just holding and waiting for the ER

Shutz, no dip. I will call for more dip on Monday, and if not Monday, Tuesday. In fact I will call dip every day for eternity.

• Funny
Reactions: Runarbt
My suspicion about the jump up is rotation of traders out of AMZN and GOOG into TSLA for upcoming ER. IIRC, this happens often during 'ER time'

Going back to the debate about Grohman. You can dot every 'I' and cross every 't' in a contract but sometimes transitions from one culture to another do NOT go smoothly. I suspect that is what has happened here. We are all speculating and I will speculate further: This was basically a 'mom and pop' outfit. I suspect Grohman had a very personal relationship with his employees and his customers. I also suspect that much of the middle management had close ties with middle managers at their customer's companies.

Tesla does not have those relationships. They may build them over time (with employees) but it does take time. Anyone who has worked in a takeover situation knows that the employees have much angst. They knew the past and projected that int o the future. Their future dramatically changed with the Tesla acquisition. Probably for the better but they don't know that.

I suspect the recent letter from EM settled down much of the angst.
They are going through the storming phase of new team dynamics.
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAc2AAAAJGM0ODRlNmU4LTc5ZDUtNDNiZi05ZDVhLTM4Mzk4ODZkMzQwZQ.png

I hear someone bought large amounts of OTM calls.

Option Symbol Last Change %Change Volume Open Int Bid Ask
Jan 18, 2019 Call TSLA 600.00 6.95 0.15 2.2059 152 1198 6.70 7.00
Jan 18, 2019 Call TSLA 450.00 20.80 -0.20 -0.952381 103 1092 20.70 21.80

13% increase in open interest of Jan 19 600 Calls.
10% increase in open interest of Jan 19 450 Calls.

Is this you, TrendTrader007?? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.