Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I started feeling uncomfortable with all talk of Elon calling top again, my own question to IR didn't get answered, so I sold my leveraged portion (36% of 140% ) this morning at $314.

This is the stake I bought at $256. I feel I will be more comfortable missing the move up, rather than riding SP down, no matter how small the chance is it would happen.

My emails to IR general box and Andrea James' address also unanswered.
We are on the same page short term.
Trimmed some Leaps today. Core stock intact.

Elon Musk: ‘Tesla has the real potential to be one of the most valuable companies in the world’

What do you need more honestly.

" “Unlike other automotive manufacturers, each Tesla employee receives Tesla shares in addition to salary. These shares can be easily sold for money, but they also open up the possibility of earning much more through stock appreciation. The tenfold increase in our share price over the past five years has made shareholding exceptionally profitable for our Tesla employees. I firmly believe that we have the potential for a further ten-fold increase over the next five to ten years. That would make a total value of € 100,000 from the € 10,000 in stock.”

---------------

Sure if you're a day to day, week to week investor, then yea I get you. Otherwise....
Leverage doesn't work over the 10 year period.
Are you also over 100% in Tesla?
Because I am now 'only' 103% TSLA with all of my and my wife's money. Savings, retirement (no gov. pension in North America), you name it, everything... So you think that's too little?
(and 85% of kids' savings for University, which they'll need in 12 years)
I guess I'm non-believer?...

Because I am now 'only' 103% TSLA with all of my and my wife's money. Savings, retirement (no gov. pension in North America), you name it, everything... So you think that's too little?

I for one would not say your investment level in TSLA is "too little". If anything, 103% TSLA in retirement is way too high with no margin for error. If anything bad happens you could be wiped out. Tesla is not GTAT, but few thought GTAT would go under either.

University savings are different. One can borrow for university, or win scholarships for academic merit. Risk there is more justified since there are multiple ways of funding education. The same is not true of retirement.

I guess I'm non-believer?...

I'm around 162.5% and I've been spoken to like a secret bear from time to time whenever I voice my concerns. Like it or not, you have to kinda learn not to say certain things.

Sold a few LEAPs this morning, I'm going to experiment with swing trading for the next 2-3 months and then go back to buy and hold only.

Below is a link to my post from 2013 MAR 12, a week after I joined TMC and 6 weeks after I first bought TSLA shares. At the time members were discussing the merits of selling while the price was near the all-time high of $40 and later buying back in the low $30's. I also posted a link to it here last fall. The point of current relevance is the final paragraph:

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

Last edited:
Elon confirmed yet again that Model 3 deliveries will start in July and that FSD will be attained this year.

Toyota and Volvo just applauded and attributed the EV revolution to Tesla.

Nearly all car manufacturers gave up on their strategies and finally started lining up behind Tesla.

No one has the battery production capacity of Tesla, which is only pulling further away with four more Gigafactories.

Tesla is sitting on high-margin AP deferred revenue and potential revenue later this year.

Key institutional investors gobbled up millions of shares just last quarter.

And you scaled back your position? o_O:confused::oops::eek:
From the person who doesn't regularly trade options...;)

Elon confirmed yet again that Model 3 deliveries will start in July and that FSD will be attained this year.

Toyota and Volvo just applauded and attributed the EV revolution to Tesla.

Nearly all car manufacturers gave up on their strategies and finally started lining up behind Tesla.

No one has the battery production capacity of Tesla, which is only pulling further away with four more Gigafactories.

Tesla is sitting on high-margin AP deferred revenue and potential revenue later this year.

Key institutional investors gobbled up millions of shares just last quarter.

And you scaled back your position? o_O:confused::oops::eek:

Absolutely. Those J18 $300 LEAPS were purchased with the SP between 180 and 200. Nice profit. With LEAPS if you intend to roll them up and out this is about the time you do it. Given my concerns (real or imagined) the move up at open appeared to be a good time. If it is a bad time I have my *big boy* pants on and will accept if my timing was not perfect.
The core stock position and J19s will pick up any price appreciation albeit not with as good a leverage as the Sept17/J18s that I have liquidated recently will do.

We have a different frame of reference in investing. You have yours, I have mine. I will not question what you personally do with your money just might add if I disagree what you tell others to do with theirs.;)

In no way was my post intended to influence what others do with their investing in TSLA. I read the bull and bear arguments mixed with some research and a good deal of dumb luck to decide how to invest. I expect most people here do the same:D

Then why the criticism of him closing his option. He clearly stated that he never sold whole shares.

"AllMc" advise is seen as valuable on this thread.

Thanks Nate. No need to describe me as valuable as I admit to taking much more valuable information from the 'collective' here than I could ever hope to contribute.

But isn't that why we are all here? We have no chance against WS/alobots as individual retail investors. We have a decent chance by sharing all info, bull and bear.

I'm sorry. Please let me know if there's anything I can do.

If anyone has the contact information for the NW Distric Manager for Tesla, please message me. I figured I'd take this opportunity and apply to work at Tesla. I would like to follow up with him/her. It would be a significant pay cut compared to what I was making before, but the work would be an order of magnitude more satisfying. Thanks. Sorry for to he off-topic mods.

Thanks Nate. No need to describe me as valuable as I admit to taking much more valuable information from the 'collective' here than I could ever hope to contribute.

But isn't that why we are all here? We have no chance against WS/alobots as individual retail investors. We have a decent chance by sharing all info, bull and bear.

We also have one HUGE advantage over fund managers...and that is the time horizon. I have the luxury of being able to sit on a position that, quarter after quarter, does nothing (i.e. TSLA from March '14 to Dec '16) and have to answer to no one (okay, maybe the Mrs.). Fund managers and analysts often don't have that luxury.

I was asked by a relative a few months ago about 'where is TSLA going?'. My reply was, 'short term? I have no clue. Could double or half in the next few months. Long term? I'm quite confident about the long term outcome of TSLA.'

NOT an advice.

If anyone has the contact information for the NW Distric Manager for Tesla, please message me. I figured I'd take this opportunity and apply to work at Tesla. I would like to follow up with him/her. It would be a significant pay cut compared to what I was making before, but the work would be an order of magnitude more satisfying. Thanks. Sorry for to he off-topic mods.
Pro: A job is a job, you also may move up in M3 queue if you had a reservation.
Con: ability to trade TSLA may get restricted as a TSLA employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.