Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Guardian quote seems to be from this interview. Elon Musk on Tesla's stock price

Musk does like to repeat certain phrases, but this seems far too soon after inferring he believed the stock price could run up. It's a shame he or Tesla won't set the record straight one way or the other.

Yeah, and that's an August 2013 interview.

This is why I am in a tizzy:

View attachment 227612

I remember this all too well. It very much felt like it signaled the top of a long rally. Maybe it's different this time, but this is what happend last time he pulled this. Sure it was fine in 4 months. I might sit this one out.

Tesla was valued at >10x revenue in 2013Q3, the highest in its history. That was mostly caused by a short squeeze, and a correction was overdue until revenue caught up. Elon may have simply contributed to triggering that correction that would have happened anyway.

IMG_0006.PNG

Tesla is valued at ~5x revenue right now. That's very reasonable for a growth company with a market opportunity like Tesla.

It's different this time.

Having said that, Tesla would clearly benefit from tightening up their software systems and communications infrastructure in the ordering process for vehicles as well as energy products. It is pretty silly that people get different information on expected delivery dates from their MyTesla page, emails and DSs for example. The customer frustration in these areas seems unnecessary and cleaning up these processes should be "low hanging fruit" for a better customer experience.

I think the increased volume and decreased options would greatly help with delivery delays. 50K/yr MS selling through ~300 stores means you get ~14 cars a month at an average Tesla store, most of them would be different colors, configurations. Any delay in any step, one of those gets pushed out, and you may not get a similar car coming in the pipeline for a while. With the M3, when they reach $250K/yr rate, you'll get ~70 cars a month for the same 300 stores, 5 times that of MS. On top of that, assuming the color/trim/option variability of M3 is 1/2 of MS, now you have 10X better chance of getting a similar car in the pipeline.

yea i still have a hard time wrapping my head around the level of coordination between traders and bots.
10K+ shares get dropped each minute during low volume afternoons...

at the end of the day it all comes down to how big your gun is and how many bullets you have left.
In this case I prefer bringing a tooth pick to the gun fight, just chip away slowly, by the time you're done years from now, it won't matter what the quick-drawer did in the interim.

Reactions: SteveG3
Tesla was valued at >10x revenue in 2013Q3, the highest in its history. That was mostly caused by a short squeeze, and a correction was overdue until revenue caught up. Elon may have simply contributed to triggering that correction that would have happened anyway.

View attachment 227628

Tesla is valued at ~5x revenue right now. That's very reasonable for a growth company with a market opportunity like Tesla.

Not only that, but fast forward one year, and Tesla is valued at 2x of revenue, which is extremely low for a hyper-growth company.

View attachment 227628

For sure. One could have made an argument that it was in fact too high late 2013 when he made that comment, and in hindsight he was correct in just about every way. My charts are demonstrating that he has a perfect record of calling local tops and bottoms so if he is calling a top (there seems to be some doubt on that) then I will probably take it to heart.

For sure. One could have made an argument that it was in fact too high late 2013 when he made that comment, and in hindsight he was correct in just about every way. My charts are demonstrating that he has a perfect record of calling local tops and bottoms so if he is calling a top (there seems to be some doubt on that) then I will probably take it to heart.
I agree wholeheartedly with Musks ability to either call the direction of the stock or influence it by offering an opinion on the current valuation, it's outstanding, and I intend to follow along next time he does so. The times you refer to we had access to what Elon had said, be it twitter or conference call.
Until I see it with my own eyes I refuse to believe at the current time Elon finds Tesla overvalued. I'm actually hoping this allows him to refute the claim and possibly say "the SP is a little low" without violating any of the market terms.
Recent quotes from Elon seem to be saying exactly that, a little more creatively.

Last time Elon said "Stormy Weather in Shortsville" the stock had multiplied how many times before it was overvalued?
More recently he said this (apr 3 at about 300SP) The stock was up what... 6-9% when the Guardian article came out?
I sincerely think not.

Last edited:
I have also emailed the author of The Guardian article asking for clarification. I will post here ASAP if I receive a response. We probably shouldn't inundate her with the same question unless she does not respond today, or she may feel the need to be defensive.

I have yet to hear back from the author. Perhaps it is time for others to email as well?

[email protected]

Last edited:
I'm not sure what all this fuss is about. Don't we have 2 very recent letters to US and Grohmann employees with him stating that he expects the next 4 years of the SP to mirror the last 4? Whether he said that recent thing off the cuff or not is irrelevant in my opinion since the prior carefully worded letters (to avoid union activity) must reflect his true sentiment.

I guess if I was heavily in short term calls I'd have concern about his words being misconstrued, but no actual fundamental concerns.

I'm not sure what all this fuss is about. Don't we have 2 very recent letters to US and Grohmann employees with him stating that he expects the next 4 years of the SP to mirror the last 4? Whether he said that recent thing off the cuff or not is irrelevant in my opinion since the prior carefully worded letters (to avoid union activity) must reflect his true sentiment.

I guess if I was heavily in short term calls I'd have concern about his words being misconstrued, but no actual fundamental concerns.
I agree. Tesla's future has never looked better.

I wonder if Tesla hasn't responded yet because they are exploring legal options.

Possible, but why not put out a quick statement refuting it immediately, and if they feel it egregious enough file a law suit later as well.

Edit:Apologies to all for my part in continuing this discussion.

The Guardian quote seems to be from this interview in 2013. Elon Musk on Tesla's stock price

Musk does like to repeat certain phrases, but this seems far too soon after inferring he believed the stock price could run up. It's a shame he or Tesla won't set the record straight one way or the other.

I am new to investing, so don't know all the rules.

But I do listen carefully.

Here is my version of setting the record straight.

Elon says the current price is not justified [by any performance measure one would use looking at past results].

Elon says he sees a path to Much higher valuation [in the future].

Seems clear to me.

Tesla is a bet, not an investment. [at today's stock price]

Status
Not open for further replies.