Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can you roughly infer from this, that short interest has dropped, precipitously in 2 weeks (~7-8%) , from 31.6 million, to around 29 million, based simply on closing price and dividing into 10.4 billion?
or am i wrong to just multiply 31.6 million shars times closing cost
Seriously, is short interest down to 29.7 million shares, from 31.6 million? That's a drop of 6% (cover)
Apologies, smart phone dumb poster

Reactions: neroden
What's taking so long for shorts to capitulate? They've lost something like $12 billion this year?
Haven't given up yet. .
They are hoping Model 3's might be lemons (quality and price point)

So everything now hinges on M3.

My 2 cents, volume/production on M3 will not matter(till atleast early 2018) but consumer consensus will. If its a runaway hit, thats when Short Squeeze will start.

For longs, even on this board we keep hearing "buy on the dip" - the reverse for bears is "short on the gains"

Last edited:
Reactions: StapleGun
You will get a lot of different responses to this. It's actually a great question because I am so caught up on the run that I'm not planning enough time on planning for pullbacks. There's three ways I think I would do it, other suggestions welcome.

1 - Buy OTM defensive puts. This is for the really big dips and not wasting too much money on premiums if you are wrong on the dip (best case).
2 - Set cash aside to buy stock on pullback. Downside is money put aside is not working for you now.
3 - Have margin ready to buy stock on pullback. This is risky but can work for short term if you are very confident you can cover your obligations.

Watch out about #1. Serious tax consequences for buying puts:

TSLA Trading Strategies

See post 1257.

Another option I read about would be to sell the stock and buy an equal amount of LEAPS (I believe ITM or ATM). Theoretically should protect against the downside while still participating in the upside. I haven't done it, but others have discussed at length.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Haven't given up yet. .
They are hoping Model 3's might be lemons (quality and price point)

So everything now hinges on M3.

My 2 cents, volume/production on M3 will not matter(till atleast early 2018) but consumer consensus will. If its a runaway hit, thats when Short Squeeze will start.

That is such a strange thing to hope for. The M3 *cannot* fail on price point. If it comes out in July and they say whoopsie daisy the base model is $40k, who the hell cares? It trims the potential market from 1B people to 900M people. Sure, individual consumers will be irritated but financially it means nothing.

• Love
Reactions: TMSE and everman
So am going to go on record just to maybe feel better?

Liquidated more than half my options at 307 after holding them forever (yeah did great), because, you know, I was going to buy back in in the 200s...

No exaggeration it went vertical the same day and I have missed on 60 plus points now. Feel like I am being punished.

Congrats to all who have brains and cojones or both and are literally killing it right now. TrendTrader you especially...wow awesome you have no fear. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.