Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been done.

VLKAY had around 13% short interest at the time.

Porsche held 42% directly, and held a further 32% in cash-settled options it intended to exercise.
The State of Lower Saxony held a 20% stake.

That meant that 94% of the shares were spoken for by 2 shareholders, and the remaining 19% of shareholders only had 6% to share between them.
The trick with VW is that the options were cash-settled so it wsan't *really* that tight... only 64% of the shares were off the market and 36% were available for the other 49% shareholders (which is still tight, mind you, and enough to cause a short-covering rally). But most of the news didn't report that key adjective "cash-settled", making it look like a true squeeze.

TSLA currently has about 19% of its shares sold short.

Elon holds about 21% of the company.
According to NASDAQ, Institutions hold about 64% of the company
NASDAQ does not currently show Tencent's reported 5% which could be as much as 10% now.

That's 90-95% spoken for, and 19% sold short. Eerily similar to VLKAY's squeeze, with the potential to be even more violent.

Now, some fraction of those institutions are gonna be a bit squishier holders than Lower Saxony and Porsche were, so that should alleviate some of the pressure, but there is definitely potential for it to happen. Its a very crowded theatre waiting for someone to yell fire.
A further point is that with so much institutional holding, and much of it concentrated in a fairly short list of institutions, the institutions actually have the ability to determine the timing of the short squeeze. The short-sellers are almost certainly mostly borrowing from those institutions, particularly from Fidelity. The Contrafund and OTC managers are in a position to engineer a short squeeze if they want to, with plausible deniability that that was their intent. I really would not want to be a short-seller in that environment (not that I would ever want to be a short-seller).

I've said this many times - I don't understand the thesis.

There are a *huge* number of $50 put contracts open for the January 2019 expiry.

This makes no sense to me. $50/shr = $8B valuation.

Thats a price/revenue ratio of 1, based on 2016's S/X sales alone. I see no chain of events that can lead to TSLA being worth less than 2016's sales in 2019.
Those were opened at the earliest in late 2016, when Tesla was at $180. I think the people on the buy side of those contracts are simply idiots.

And it is definitely people on the buy side. I've discovered that if you want to sell way-away-from-the-money options and no real buyer wants to buy them, the market makers will often not offer a bid at all.

I agree it's a very crowded theater, with trash cans on fire all around, waiting for somebody to yell fire. I see the institutional holding in TSLA today as being significantly more squishy than the VW case, simply due to the control angle not being part of the investment thesis or behavior.
Absolutely. You may remember I attempted to break down which institutional investors were likely "permanent holds" a while back; I can't remember what number I calculated, unfortunately. I think it was less than half of the institutions. There's also going to be a ~5% permanent hold from index funds when Tesla gets added to the S&P.

And I think for us as long investors, this is a better setup. Because after all, if TSLA was a good short candidate at $200/share, it must be an amazing short opportunity at $350. It's hard to even imagine how good of a short it'll be at $500/share. A nice steady rise has a reasonable chance of drawing in new shorts as old shorts get margin called out :)

Can you dream of the opportunity when TSLA gets to $1000!?!

Decided to hold part of my day trading position of Friday $365 calls overnight after seeing a strengthening bid pretty much all day today -

tsla-mp-15m (1).png

(15 minute chart)

CALL (TSLA1) TESLA MOTORS INC COM JAN 18 19 $35 (11 SHS) Total Gain/Loss +590.87%

Who was talking about arbitrage opportunity back then here? Neroden? Whoever that was thank you so much!
That was me. I was way more conservative than you but I still loaded up on the arbitrage opportunity back then; in addition to loading up on stock I bought my first out of the money calls ever.

Sitting on 2,200 shares since years ago. Feel like a deer in the headlights.
Congratulations on being wise enough to buy that much early and hanging on. I only have 1180 "old" (pre-2013 runup) shares. I increased my exposure massively in June-November of 2016 during the merger arb opportunity... to be clear though, TSLA is still under 30% of the portfolio I'm managing, so I'm being much more conservative than some of our friends here.

Those were opened at the earliest in late 2016, when Tesla was at $180. I think the people on the buy side of those contracts are simply idiots.

And it is definitely people on the buy side. I've discovered that if you want to sell way-away-from-the-money options and no real buyer wants to buy them, the market makers will often not offer a bid at all.
Please point noobie in correct direction, if I use max pain website , I think I see ~27,000, $50 worth ~$3.4million, yesterday.
The folks that "own" these, how liquid are they?
Are they basically "trapped" With a loss of unknown amount, up to 100% ending on 1/18/2019, ~570 more days of shrieking pain?
And that's JUST the $50 contracts...
Is this the correct view, or is it worse?

Congratulations on being wise enough to buy that much early and hanging on. I only have 1180 "old" (pre-2013 runup) shares. I increased my exposure massively in June-November of 2016 during the merger arb opportunity... to be clear though, TSLA is still under 30% of the portfolio I'm managing, so I'm being much more conservative than some of our friends here.
Dang, I feel like a piker with a shade under 280 shares.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
My thinking is the stock will open lower and gradually drift higher today.

Wish there's a crystal ball but let's see what happens.

Today was mixed but the local bottoms gradually drifted up throughout the day. I think of it as price strengthening.

I expect covering to have happened today.

Starting tomorrow we should see price stabilize and gradually drift up over the week.

(Unles ofcouse we see some other silly macro sell off)

Could always borrow double your net worth on margin like I did and dump it into TSLA.

I was incredible nervous all weekend and earlier today when it was looking like it'll go under 350, but I'm pretty comfortable now.
note: im retired, almost 70, and don't want margin to be more than 5% of portfolio. i remember the old guy, 35 years ago in our investing group who said "im naked a bunch of shorts, hope i'm ok overnite"" or something like that, we NEVER saw him again. (hawai'i bound)
Is there a sentiment indicator based on options? Something that would look like a 3D topographic map and if so, significant or insignificant

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.