Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong here, but I'm expecting the reveal to be totally separate from the production ramp, with separate effects on the stock. With the reveal, we get to see the finished product but nothing in significant volume for several months, until they start selling M3 to the public. Until then, I don't believe there will be a ramp effect on the share price. Even if earlier than expected, that's likely October at the earliest.

Yes reveal and ramp up should be 2 different events. As with SpaceX, I think now Tesla too has capabilities to produce a lot of 3rd party vendor items at low volumes. This should mask any issues if the exist for the reveal.

Anyone recall the issues for modelX ramp - per my memory a lot had to do with the falcon wing doors , esp the hydraulic pumps from a German supplier(who I think got sued or something for not meeting the dates).

In essence, no issues for reveal in July. After July there will be a lot of tracking Model 3 deliveries via unofficial means. The actual numbers produced will come only in Oct.

Yes reveal and ramp up should be 2 different events. As with SpaceX, I think now Tesla too has capabilities to produce a lot of 3rd party vendor items at low volumes. This should mask any issues if the exist for the reveal.

Anyone recall the issues for modelX ramp - per my memory a lot had to do with the falcon wing doors , esp the hydraulic pumps from a German supplier(who I think got sued or something for not meeting the dates).

In essence, no issues for reveal in July. After July there will be a lot of tracking Model 3 deliveries via unofficial means. The actual numbers produced will come only in Oct.
I think Tesla actually had to switch vendor and re-design the pumps for the doors. So this delayed start date of production....may have also affected ramp.

Reactions: elasalle

The problem with the X that I hope (and believe) that they learned from: Design engineers and production engineers not working together. The design team allowed to 'run wild' (by EM) and when the production engineers saw it they deemed it a nightmare (obviously my opinion but this is essentially the EM 'hubris'). On top of that (and partially because of that) the design/components kept changing even at the last minute Depending on who you listen to the 'German door lifter issue' was either their fault that they could not supply the hydraulic lifters OR Tesla's fault that they realized Electric ones were 'better' so they cancelled the hydraulic contract. Thus, was the delay because of the contractor or Tesla?

The problem with the X that I hope (and believe) that they learned from: Design engineers and production engineers not working together. The design team allowed to 'run wild' (by EM) and when the production engineers saw it they deemed it a nightmare (obviously my opinion but this is essentially the EM 'hubris'). On top of that (and partially because of that) the design/components kept changing even at the last minute Depending on who you listen to the 'German door lifter issue' was either their fault that they could not supply the hydraulic lifters OR Tesla's fault that they realized Electric ones were 'better' so they cancelled the hydraulic contract. Thus, was the delay because of the contractor or Tesla?

Thanks for the refresh ..
So Lessons learnt, chances of something like that repeating itself have been lowered.

Based on what others haven written on the hype from wallstreet when dual motor was announced, and the subsequent drop in SP after the D event, do folks agree there is no hype from wallstreet regarding Model 3 (reservation holders can't contain the hype though)? Not yet at least, so I believe final Model 3 reveal has more potential to be a positive catalyst. And we're forgetting there might be improvements to S and X announced at the same event.

Reactions: SunCatcher
I could be wrong here, but I'm expecting the reveal to be totally separate from the production ramp, with separate effects on the stock. With the reveal, we get to see the finished product but nothing in significant volume for several months, until they start selling M3 to the public. Until then, I don't believe there will be a ramp effect on the share price. Even if earlier than expected, that's likely October at the earliest.

Once Model 3 is available for test drives and is written about by the auto press, we might expect a bounce in the stock price. Likely that Model 3 will be a better car than any other, both electric and ICE, at its price point. Once this fact is generally known, reservations should sky rocket with the stock price right behind. I expect these events to precede production at 5K/week.

Reactions: sunhelm and EinSV
I don't think they know any more than we do. I'm going to make an immediate guess that they're wrong about colors, because it is insane not to sell a car in white, which is literally the most popular color for cars in the world (and also in the US). It's most popular by a substantial margin, too:

Car colour popularity - Wikipedia

If you think about it, the cancellation of plain white (making "pearl white" the only option) on Model S was effectively a method of increasing the price for 22% of buyers. Sneaky.
Elon said their will be a gift for those who stood in queues at stores to reserve Model 3's. Perhaps it will be Signature White.
I hope the gift will be something that would appeal to everyone, even if white is the most popular, it's still just the preference of maybe only 30% of the people
A no charge premium color option would be cool, any color.

Despite red's lesser popularity than white, people loved receiving Signature Red Model S's & Model X's as status symbols as D-egg-O suggests.

I've had white for many years now, and have been called the White Knight. Due to visibility, white gets in the fewest accidents. Particularly relative to red it is ticketed less by police. It has the highest resale value.

Especially for a car for the masses, white may be the ideal status color for a signature series. Due to high visibility, it should serve admirably as an advertisement.

Then when should you sell? You shouldn't sell when it drops, I've already made the mistake of selling as it's still climbing. At what point are you comfortable with selling your shares? In a perfect world, you'd sell at its peak, but that's practically impossible to predict.

Picking tops, for many people, is harder than picking bottoms. Bottoms are easier as you have no commitment yet. Tops are harder, it's like saying goodby to an old friend that's treated you well.

First question, what is your strategy. Is this a trade (day, week, month kinda thing) or is it serious long term investing? Generally investing starts at a year hold, putting you in the more favorable long term capital gains tax rate. Anything shorter gets taxed at your regular tax rate and is usually referred to as a trade, not an investment.

In trading, it's all about looking at probabilities of a down move vs an up move. When odds of an up move from here are low, and odds of a down move are high, one should sell. Example, last week on the China news, I sold my trading position, some at 383 one day, and at 385 the next. It was very hard to do. It was so bad, that I spent all weekend thinking about re-entering. I did it because I saw the odds of a down move being higher than an up move. In no way did I expect this week to be as choppy as it's been!

What I do is pick a time frame to look at, and try to predict the trend during that time frame. If it's much above the trend line, sell the trading position. If it's below, buy. Then add odds of macros falling apart, president doing something stupid, North Korea nuking their neighbor, sector rotation out of tech stocks, etc. Also factor in the possibility of the trend changing to the upside (going parabolic) or changing to the downside.

On a long term investment, you have to decide what you are investing for. A profit after 2 years, buying a house, riding this economic cycle but selling before the next recession, kid's college, retirement, kid's retirement? Then try to predict stock movement against that goal and time frame. Another strategy is peel off portions of your gains and keep some for later. That can be done with a trader's mentality, basically pick local tops and sell a small percentage of holdings every year. There is no one solution that fits all, it's all about what your personal situation and plans for the investment are.

Realize that short term trading is tricker than long term, and is sub-optimal for many (most?) people. For tax reasons, psychological reasons, and the unpredictability of short term movements.

Last edited:
IMG_8784.jpg

First question, what is your strategy.

Buy, continue buying every month with extra cash and hold for about 9-10 years, then sell (most? all?) and buy a house. If my spreadsheet is correct, I should have around 2-3 million if tesla ends up being as big as appl is today, which is way more than enough. The purpose of my question was that I was seeking a way to entirely avoid a margin call no matter what happens to the SP. Maybe I've been listening to doomsday prophesies for too long, but I've arrived at the point where I believe we will have a major market crash within the next few years, certain within 10.

Buy, continue buying every month with extra cash and hold for about 9-10 years, then sell (most? all?) and buy a house. If my spreadsheet is correct, I should have around 2-3 million if tesla ends up being as big as appl is today, which is way more than enough. The purpose of my question was that I was seeking a way to entirely avoid a margin call no matter what happens to the SP. Maybe I've been listening to doomsday prophesies for too long, but I've arrived at the point where I believe we will have a major market crash within the next few years, certain within 10.

FWIW I avoid using margin (only have it set up to allow for day trading). My whole point of investing in stocks is the lack of carrying costs and liquidity.

My wife's family has real estate and we dabbled in it as well. The problem with real estate is the carrying costs. Mortgage, taxes, utilities, upkeep and repairs, insurance, management fees, etc... If you are fortunate to have a renter, hopefully they pay on time and you make a profit. Worse case, they burn your house down. Yes you can ultimately sell, hopefully for a profit, but houses are illiquid and can be hard to move.

Stocks on the other hand, once you buy them, there is no carrying cost. They're also easy to sell. You can watch the price yo-yo around, but you don't have to put another cent into the initial sunk costs.

Unless you buy on margin. It's basically borrowing to gamble and one has to pay to stay in the game. The stress level is increased exponentially, and suddenly you have carrying costs, which defeats the whole point (in my mind) of owning stocks versus other investments (e.g--real estate).

Options may be a better option for gambling, since they are essentially sunk costs without need for additional funds for "upkeep". You just have to watch the SP and the options to determine when to sell to close, buy to close or roll (depending on your strategy). While I have read a lot about options I haven't pursued many strategies yet, mainly because I have to pay commissions on them, whereas with straight up equities I don't. Obviously you can use margin for options too, but I won't go into that...

As for the doomsday prophesies, I don't disagree. There's always a down following the ups. It's just how severe and what is involved. That's where @neroden's assessment comes into play (IMHO). If you're confident in the stock/company and the fundamentals are there, it should weather the storm, and so should you... if you're not leveraged.

My 2 c

Status
Not open for further replies.