Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Option_Sniper on Twitter:

$TSLA warned u all last week about hourly M top. Broke key 346,334,327 levels AND uptrend line since last Dec. 314.8 & 307.5 KEY to hold.

DEA1JF1WsAAmqC2.jpg:large

Crash tests raise questions about safety of Tesla Model S
A new set of crash tests by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety questions Tesla's claim that the Model S is the safest car in history.

In fact, the person who oversaw the Model S crash tests tells CNBC, "If you're looking for top-line safety, we believe there are other, better choices than the Model S."
Just FYI.. the above claim from IIHS is different from that of the US govt agency NHTSA, which gave top ratings for Tesla. The timing of this IIHS guy's comments is suspicious.

Crash tests raise questions about safety of Tesla Model S
A new set of crash tests by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety questions Tesla's claim that the Model S is the safest car in history.

In fact, the person who oversaw the Model S crash tests tells CNBC, "If you're looking for top-line safety, we believe there are other, better choices than the Model S."

Cherrypicked quote that Lebeau probably fished for from an IIHS (non governmental) vs NHTSA (government) guy. Personally, I'd probably drive with a five point harness on the highway if it came standard, but most people wouldn't do this. Also, how an Avalon (or any combustion engine car with an engine block that can penetrate the cabin in a collision) could possibly be considered overall safer than a Tesla Model S based this one test is beyond me. This portion seems relevant:

Tesla defends the Model S and its safety record. In a statement to CNBC, a Tesla rep said: "Tesla's Model S received the highest rating in IIHS's crash testing in every category except for one, the small overlap front crash test, where it received the second highest rating available. While IIHS and dozens of other private industry groups around the world have methods and motivations that suit their own subjective purposes, the most objective and accurate independent testing of vehicle safety is currently done by the U.S. government, which found Model S and Model X to be the two cars with the lowest probability of injury of any cars that it has ever tested, making them the safest cars in history."

It's true the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has given both the Model S and the Model X five-star safety ratings, the highest score possible. In fact, the Model X is the only SUV to ever earn a five-star rating from the federal government.

Just want to say I like how you gents put words to (digital) paper.

Is it bad sign I bought 50 shares just a couple of weeks ago at an average price of 380 and I didn't feel compelled at all to sell today? :cool:

Just so you know; not only do I sweat a bit when going down ~ I hear my wife since I conned her into investing at a high peak of $150. However, since staying well above that now, I am in the clear. Plus she has the MX:)

1. "Model S/X have reached demand plateau."

I basically agree with shorts on this. The global demand for $80k car is limited. I don't expect high growth in this area year after year. In my spreadsheet, I estimate Tesla will be selling 100,000 S/X in year 2025 and 2030, average selling price $80k. That's $8B revenue, $0.8B net earnings. But in my same spreadsheet, in 2026, S/X only accounts for 1.1% of Tesla's revenue and earnings. The rest of the earnings will come from the network, model Y, model 3, pickup truck, semi, and energy division. So whether the future S/X demand will be 50k a year or 500k a year, doesn't make much difference.
Why would S/X sales plateau at 100K? Let's not forget that there are huge geographical areas where it is not reasonable possible to own a Tesla currently. Just looking at Europe, there are still no service centers in SPain and Portugal, just one in the extreme north of Italy, and none in the former eastern block (east of Germany/Austria). There are lots àf wealthy people in those countries who have no option to buy and service a Tesla, and currently have no option but to buy a Porsche, Audi, BMW or Mercedes if they want a high performance car.
There are even entire continents (Africa, South America) that don't have a Tesla presence.
I guess that less than 20% of the world population has the option to actually buy a Tesla. The other 80% of the world has to buy an ice even if they want a Tesla. I would only start to think about plateauing S/X demand if most of the world is geographically covered buy Tesla.

Today's CNBC Fast Money discussion: Tesla and Citron short

Why Tesla is short seller Andrew Left's new target

Andrew Left sounds slightly hysterical the entire call. He must realize at this point that nobody is buying the crap people like him are peddling. To their credit, the CNBC host actually laid into him and challenged him to answer the question of why people should still be short TSLA even after sustaining billions of dollars of losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.