Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2017-2-13_16-47-7.png

ATH close is $286.04 or am I missing something?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Institutional shorts have to start considering the possibility of career-affecting losses. As of now they can exit at a relatively small loss, blame everything on the Tesla cult, and declare TSLA unshortable. They'll be in good company as most institutional shorts have been short TSLA up to now. What is much more difficult is explaining why you just watched as the stock traded higher and higher, even passing all time highs and not figuring out the trade has gone against you.

Have a question for you guys. Looks like my covered calls @ 277.5 this week is gonna sell me some stocks. It's fine as I do need some money for other stuff and also paying back the margins is always not a bad idea. However, I still want to keep up my exposure to TSLA to some extent. I'm considering several options:

1. Wait for a dip and buy back. I think it is probable to see a dip in the next few months. After all, Model 3 is not here yet.
2. Borrow even more from my broker to buy with margin now.
3. Buy LEAPs now, leveraging a bit to get the same exposure but with less cash.

I think option 3 might be the best. But at what strike price and expiration date? Very much appreciated.

• Informative
Reactions: Nate the Great
Institutional shorts have to start considering the possibility of career-affecting losses. As of now they can exit at a relatively small loss, blame everything on the Tesla cult, and declare TSLA unshortable. They'll be in good company as most institutional shorts have been short TSLA up to now. What is much more difficult is explaining why you just watched as the stock traded higher and higher, even passing all time highs and not figuring out the trade has gone against you.

I saw hedge funds go under back in the early 2000s due to similar bear positioning on AAPL back then. I see TSLA today as AAPL back then. This was well before the iPhone iPod but when the return of the mac showed a company pushing forth a fundamental shift .

Just as many were blind to the implications for AAPL back then, today TSLA is in similar standing, and when you cant understand, you might as well hate.

Fast forward a few years to 2007 Mac World, I Was there in SanFran when steve jobs held up the future of mobile communication and computing, but the mediocre minds saw the future in front of them, yet were blind to its implications as they touted Blackberry . As I stood on the Moscone floor typing live, the first post was, Blackberry is dead.

See the thing is just like we may have passion for a company and we may see great promise , to others we fall into a cult status of the over optimistic. But as someone who bought stock in AAPL the day steve jobs got rehired in 1997 when the stock was on the verge of bankruptcy , and as someone who some of you well know well, bought TSLA stock at 16s and 27s after waiting years for the IPO, over optimism may only reflect lack of understanding by others.

Hey what would you expect from a hedge fund MBA with all the talents such a degree brings with. For them numbers are there holy grail and within that world the bearish thesis is only broken if model 3 is able to come out on time . Last week pilot manufacturing direction for model 3 hurt the bearish thesis in a way earnings could not.

So as the inevitable conclusion the mind of an MBA, the hedge fund of that hater as he protects what he holds dear, the status Quo , he will get burned and if he's passionate enough , the hedge fund of his will go bankrupt. He's only human, and from his perspective, and completely rightful to the very end.

TSLA rises every single Monday morning. This is probably amateur retail investors learning about Tesla from a friend over the weekend, watched a bunch of Elon Musk youtube videos, and deciding to buy first thing Monday morning. These new investors (as opposed to amateur retail traders) will probably not be selling for a very long time. Every Monday morning we see this. I'd be worried if I was short.

It would make more sense to cover at the begging of the market day.

Not actually high if consider that tesla is no longer an automotive company. Energy meets tech for tesla and cars are only the gateway to get people on the electric energy ecosystem. Waiting to hear more utility scale energy projects.

Data from cars and from energy projects will be the new basis for valuation for tesla (motors/energy/solar/AI data--take your pick).

Have a question for you guys. Looks like my covered calls @ 277.5 this week is gonna sell me some stocks. It's fine as I do need some money for other stuff and also paying back the margins is always not a bad idea. However, I still want to keep up my exposure to TSLA to some extent. I'm considering several options:

1. Wait for a dip and buy back. I think it is probable to see a dip in the next few months. After all, Model 3 is not here yet.
2. Borrow even more from my broker to buy with margin now.
3. Buy LEAPs now, leveraging a bit to get the same exposure but with less cash.

I think option 3 might be the best. But at what strike price and expiration date? Very much appreciated.

Why wouldn't you roll it out and up to the next week? Premiums are very high because it is ER week. You can roll it up to $285 and still pull out close to $2.00 per each...

snap1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.