Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im in for the long haul. AAPL did it's first split 30 years ago on 6/16/1987 and is worth $8,195/share+
We are still in the process of "wiring the world" for communications, and just starting "wiring the world" for electricity.
will this changeover be less than 30 years? will we skip a monolithic grid?
I shall buy another 20 shares today, after "amateur hour", unless there is a "black swan"
Doing the same 20@370

This shouldn't even be considered news anymore.

Of course it is and it's not like the supply problem is going to get better anytime soon either. Wish markets would grow up and recognize the irrelevance of the price of oil to the price f the rest of the market. It's going to be a long slow downhill slide for oil with occasional upswings when numbers come in that aren't as bad as normal and shitty analysts can say "see, it's all fine, the rally is back on, $80 within 2 months!!!!!11one"
Except it was the crash in oil during Aug 2015 that triggered the massive selloff in China's markets... which then triggered massive selloffs around the world... so... it's kind of a giant ball of ...

I'm not sure this was discussed:

Trump EPA backs away from attacking California emission waiver

If the EPA is really backing off challenging California's emissions rules exemption, then that's huge news for Tesla. It means they won't be challenging CARB and the 10 states that follow that. That takes one of the big short term risks off the table, as least from a perception perspective even if the actual attempt would be tied up in courts for a while.

I'm surprised TSLA is only current up 4 points right now.

Must be some new shorts jumping in

We've got:

1) China factory Bloomberg scoop
2) NTSB final accident report from FL AP fatality
3) Baird reiterates today

1) We've known Tesla was going to build subsequent Gigafactories. Going over the Chinese Wall of protectionism would be positive, but did anyone really doubt this was going to happen after last month's meeting between Elon and government officials?

2) Not a material development; we already knew Autopilot is at least 2x safer than an average human, and likely a lot more. When was the last time we've heard of an Autopilot related major accident? A year ago?

3) Known bull and sell-side.

I would highly caution everyone against looking for reasons why SP goes up or down on a daily basis. This is a recipe for being manipulated.

SP is going up over time because the price is significantly below intrinsic value. Ignore short-term fluctuations.

Except it was the crash in oil during Aug 2015 that triggered the massive selloff in China's markets... which then triggered massive selloffs around the world... so... it's kind of a giant ball of ...

The question is why? Typically lower oil demand then supply is indicative of a weak economy. Its the canary in the coal mine so to speak. its not today, the economy may not be strong but its stable and the world economy is in general more stable then its been in a while. Maybe its the calm before the storm, or maybe there are just so many new sources of cheap oil. Shale for example. Stability also leads to more supply. Iran is able to put its oil on the market now and even Iraq is more stable, as far as the oil fields go at least. Demand is down and that probably has more to do with technology then weak economy. More people working remotely and less people traveling to meetings to be there in person for example.

The question is why? Typically lower oil demand then supply is indicative of a weak economy. Its the canary in the coal mine so to speak. its not today, the economy may not be strong but its stable and the world economy is in general more stable then its been in a while. Maybe its the calm before the storm, or maybe there are just so many new sources of cheap oil. Shale for example. Stability also leads to more supply. Iran is able to put its oil on the market now and even Iraq is more stable, as far as the oil fields go at least. Demand is down and that probably has more to do with technology then weak economy. More people working remotely and less people traveling to meetings to be there in person for example.
I "proclaimed" about 6 months ago here that oil's natural resting place for a while is between $40 and $45... based on shale efficiency improvements. it might just dangle around here for a while and slow creep down.

1) We've known Tesla was going to build subsequent Gigafactories. Going over the Chinese Wall of protectionism would be positive, but did anyone really doubt this was going to happen after last month's meeting between Elon and government officials?

2) Not a material development; we already knew Autopilot is at least 2x safer than an average human, and likely a lot more. When was the last time we've heard of an Autopilot related major accident? A year ago?

3) Known bull and sell-side.

I would highly caution everyone against looking for reasons why SP goes up or down on a daily basis. This is a recipe for being manipulated.

SP is going up over time because the price is significantly below intrinsic value. Ignore short-term fluctuations.

Thx. Sorry, but the above three points are positive developments and now TechMaven posts that CA waiver will remain in place without a Fed challenge.

On an individual level, I don't trade TSLA short term. I've been buy and hold since $35 a share.

'Tesla Inc. might be able to drive into China, but it won't be able to ride solo.'

'But while Musk has blown into powerfully dug-in industries like autos, space and energy with little deference to precedent, in China he faces a different beast. He's going to have to play by the rules.'

I love when people talk out their *ears* especially when they do it by analogy instead of first principles. It's like when they said Tesla might be able to make the Model S, but they won't sell enough/won't make a profit on them/won't fillintheblank. If there's anyone who can broker a deal that breaks the mold, it's Elon Musk. I anxiously await the details and won't be even a little bit surprised if he manages to get into China without a 50/50 partnership or without a partner at all.

• Love
Reactions: T3SLA3 and Skryll
Thx. Sorry, but the above three points are positive developments and now TechMaven posts that CA waiver will remain in place without a Fed challenge.

On an individual level, I don't trade TSLA short term. I've been buy and hold since $35 a share.

I think what TechMaven pointed out is a big positive as well. Doesn't change intrinsic value much, but takes out some shorter term risk.

Reactions: FredTMC
Nasty move down there :(

Holding. I think the China facility story seems plausible, and good news. I think there is a decent chance Tesla gets a waiver or partial waiver on the 50/50 rule too. China is strongly pushing for EV's after all, so Tesla has some bargaining power.

Don't forget about this meeting:

Elon Musk Has Surprise Meeting With China’s Vice Premier Wang Yang

That appears to be old news from mid-May. Online websites have been recirculating it in recent days, and in this case left out the original date. Note that despite reiterating the Outperform rating, the price target is under the current price and that of yesterday's close.
Not true - there was a new Baird note yesterday following management meetings.

surfside

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: SteveG3 and FredTMC
Status
Not open for further replies.